VPN through PPTP unreliable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mikhailmv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:54    Post subject: VPN through PPTP unreliable Reply with quote
I have Linksys WRT 350N running dd-wrt build 11296.
I have set up VPN access using PPTP in the Service/VPN tab.

On the remote site I have a machine running Windows Vista SP2.

I can make a VPN connection and access all shared resources from the remote machine.

But it appears the connection is lost as soon as I stop using it. Though the system reports that the connection is still active.
For example: I start watching movie on the remote machine from a shared drive on a local network. Everything is fine until I pause it. If I pause it I cannot resume it as if the resource is not available any more. I have to reopen the file. And it takes some time for the server to respond as if the connection is reestablished. Though the are no messages of loosing and reestablishing the connection. The same with any other types of resources. While I am continuously using VPN everything is smooth. As soon as I pause and than start again there is a noticeable annoying delay.

I do not know if this is a drawback of the VPN itself, PPTP or smth else.

Thank you.

P.S. There is smth else.
The network bandwidths are:
30/5 cable at the local site
3/1 DSL at the remote site

As I said before I can watch movies at the remote site over VPN from local resources. As it appears the movie is played smoothly only if its bit rate is lower than 1000Kbs. At 800Kbs it is constantly smooth. At a hire rate it is smooth from time to times and at times it just goes frame by frame. At a rate higher than 1000 it is almost impossible to watch. But I can start three movies simultaneously in three separate windows from the same resource and if the bit rate is about 900Kbps for each they are played smoothly most of the time. Obviously at this time they utilize triple bandwidth than before. So the bandwidth itself is not a concern. And they are played exactly the way as if there is only one movie played at a time. The playback can slow down almost to frame by frame as before but independently for all 3 movies.

And as I said before as soon as you put it on pause you can not play it again. You have to reopen the file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
[/b]

Last edited by mikhailmv on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:16; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
mikhailmv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any ideas folks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: