Intel 5300ABGN and WRT300Nv1 270Mbps speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:00    Post subject: Intel 5300ABGN and WRT300Nv1 270Mbps speed Reply with quote
My router and laptop connection is stable at 270Mbps speed because of the settings suggested to me by member Blazian.

My problem is that the speed transfer rate, when transferring large files over my network, mostly fluctuates.

Just yesterday, I was transferring a large file (take note, only a single file, since I know that many files slows down the transfer) from my wired desktop computer to my wireless laptop and the speed was solid 5MBps, no problem.

But now, and most of the time, I just get max 1.96MBps.

My hard drives are pretty much not the cause of this since they are all 7200RPMs.

What's causing the problem?

EDIT:

I just noticed that the transfer speed is 5.9MBps when I transfer the same file FROM the laptop to the desktop computer. But when I transfer FROM the desktop to the laptop it's only 2MBps.

5.9MBps is just 25% of my connection speed as indicated by Windows Task Manager. How can I fully (100%) utilize my connection?
Sponsor
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:35    Post subject: Re: Intel 5300ABGN and WRT300Nv1 270Mbps speed Reply with quote
kevindd992002 wrote:
How can I fully (100%) utilize my connection?

Simple answer is you can't, you should be able to achieve perhaps 45% of your percieved bandwidth. The slow down from one pc to the other is probably related to rwin differences or something similar. Try *tweaking* your connection values on the slow uploading pc.
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:40    Post subject: Re: Intel 5300ABGN and WRT300Nv1 270Mbps speed Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:

Simple answer is you can't, you should be able to achieve perhaps 45% of your percieved bandwidth. The slow down from one pc to the other is probably related to rwin differences or something similar. Try *tweaking* your connection values on the slow uploading pc.

Well, I already did tweak my connections, even the TCP windows and everything. Same for both PCs.

I don't mind 100% bandwidth if not possible, but I need to do at least 6MBps as I've said.
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:49    Post subject: Re: Intel 5300ABGN and WRT300Nv1 270Mbps speed Reply with quote
kevindd992002 wrote:
autobot wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:

Well, I already did tweak my connections, even the TCP windows and everything. Same for both PCs.

I don't mind 100% bandwidth if not possible, but I need to do at least 6MBps as I've said.

Yeah that's not asking too much I don't suppose, try changing the method in which you transfer the file to see if its your preferred file transfer utility causing the bandwidth choppiness. Meaning try ncat, ftp, scp or whatever and see if your results are the same.
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:06    Post subject: Re: Intel 5300ABGN and WRT300Nv1 270Mbps speed Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:
autobot wrote:
kevindd992002 wrote:

Yeah that's not asking too much I don't suppose, try changing the method in which you transfer the file to see if its your preferred file transfer utility causing the bandwidth choppiness. Meaning try ncat, ftp, scp or whatever and see if your results are the same.

Ah, I don't know much about those because what I use is the normal Windows Vista utility wherein you go to "Network" and find the computers on your network there and then go transfer those files.
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I figured that, such is why I suggested the other methods. Can't fix the fact windows file sharing blows, it does the same thing to me. Anyway its not related to your router so we better wrap this up as were off into windows territory.
kevindd992002
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
I figured that, such is why I suggested the other methods. Can't fix the fact windows file sharing blows, it does the same thing to me. Anyway its not related to your router so we better wrap this up as were off into windows territory.

Ok, I'll try those out then. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: