Wireless Repeater

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ech0419
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:34    Post subject: Wireless Repeater Reply with quote
I have a wrt54g/s v6 which has dd-wrt v24 micro.

It is set up to repeat a wireless signal. Which I have had help with and is correctly setup. It at one time, a week ago, worked just fine, repeating the net. I would only have 20% loss of overall bandwidth, which was awesome.

The router has a connection which repeats my original wireless, this has a different ssid. When I connect to it using my wireless desktop, 80% of the time says "cannot connect to network" and 20% of the time connects fine but does not have access to the internet.

The wireless card works perfectly fine connecting to other networks, and the repeater is in range of this computer ~ 30ft and is only blocked by a wall.

Any idea on why it won't work any longer?
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 14:18    Post subject: Re: Wireless Repeater Reply with quote
ech0419 wrote:
Any idea on why it won't work any longer?

It's because you didn't read the announcement at the top of the forum....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ech0419
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes I read them.

And your answer helps me how?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
what firmware is on it...give us a date or svn.

On the status tab...does the MAC addresses match the sticker on the bottom of the unit.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, they don't match. You hit the nail on the head.

How would I go about fixing this?

Edit: The firmware currently is micro v24. The router is a wrt-54g v5.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
ech0419 wrote:
ok, they don't match. You hit the nail on the head.

How would I go about fixing this?

Edit: The firmware currently is micro v24. The router is a wrt-54g v5.

If you actually had read the peacock thread notes 7 and 14, you would have your answer.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
ech0419
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You come back with such a smart ass attitude. Thanks but no thanks.

I changed the mac address. The router still does not work. I tried it on my local network as a wired router. No dice. It's a functional brick, but isn't doing anything but wasting power.

I did at one point last week have this router running fine for 3-4 hours. Then is just stopped working.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Time for you to read the forum rules too....If you are going to be rude and lazy, don't expect any assistance.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with Murrkf....'nuff said.

Sometimes the problem is with the Cable/DSL modem caching the old MAC address.

Try powering down the modem and router...then wait 10-15 minutes....power on the modem, let it boot up, then power on the router with the corrected MAC address. See if the modem will then assign an IP address to it.

if not...if you plugged a computer into your modem and you get an IP address....then take the MAC address from your computer and do a MAC clone to the router. Setup>>Mac Clone and use the computers MAC in the WAN section.

see if either of these things will help.

BTW...this is step 14 of the Peacock.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

redhawk

Red - Your recent comments on the process (for the bazillionth time) were also added, BTW....

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:

redhawk

Red - Your recent comments on the process (for the bazillionth time) were also added, BTW....

Yeah...I read that....I hope this guy starts READING and not skimming over stuff. There are a lot of cherries to be picked from that post. :lol:

I even read over my own stuff occasionally...hehehe

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use it as a quick link to the builds/wiki all the time too. Wink
ech0419
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
If you actually had read the peacock thread notes 7 and 14, you would have your answer.

I had my answer, for what ever reason, the mac address does not stick. There's your answer. Also the documentation is terrible-- read below.

Murrkf wrote:
Time for you to read the forum rules too....If you are going to be rude and lazy, don't expect any assistance.

In what way am I lazy?!?! This is a forum, is it not? Isn't the point to ask questions regarding the subject? You my friend, are the lazy one. You'd rather talk about others incompetence than help them. Refusing to read a poorly written guide with little to no correct grammar is not lazy, I do not have the time to decipher the writings of some 13 year old kid from India, who has not learned to speak english.

redhawk0 wrote:

redhawk

Murrkf wrote:

redhawk0 wrote:
Yeah...I read that....I hope this guy starts READING and not skimming over stuff. There are a lot of cherries to be picked from that post. :lol:

I even read over my own stuff occasionally...hehehe

redhawk

By peacock, you mean the terribly written, common sense grammar lacking instruction guide you put out? The documentation for dd-wrt is dreadful, either the people that wrote it do not care to spell words correctly, and keep sentences in order, or they obviously do not speak English as their primary language. Although, thanks for the advice that I already tired, this "working" dd-wrt is as useful as a brick, with the firmware running.

This place is pathetic, I ask for help, I get harassed by multiple people. You're the smart ass to me, and your the victim, somehow that doesn't make sense.

You're software is garbage, it may be open source and free, but there are better alternatives to dd-wrt such as what Sveasoft puts out.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
@echo419...

I'm not picking on you. The fact is that you have stated your hardware, but not the firmware. V24 micro does not mean much when new builds are posted several times a month.

Suggesting you read the announcements including the peacock was an effort that you would realize you have not posted your build, svn, or the date of the build you are running as well as some other important details.

V24 & V24-SP1 had some real issues which may be contributing to your problems. Since then, there have been a few "quirks" with newer builds. However, we will never know as you have yet to give the required information.

Navigation

Jump to: