WRT600N Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Morbeas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 15:09    Post subject: WRT600N Help Reply with quote
Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and am confused about several things. First, this will be my first try at flashing my WRT600N with ddwrt firmware. I'm extremely confused about which version I should use. Could anyone please help me determine the best version to use please?

My issues with the stock firmware are as follows:

1 - Random disconnects when using the N band.
2 - Random disconnects on my other laptop when I use the N band and the other laptop is using the G band.
3 - Horrible USB support. Although I now have a ReadyNAS Duo, it still would be nice to be able to utilize the USB option built in to my 600N.
4 - Slow speed. It seems when I'm doing file transfers within my network, it takes forever even when I'm using the N band.

Anyway, these are some of the problems I've been experiencing and would like to make my router faster and more reliable so I would truly appreciate your help in determinig the exact version firmware I should use.

Thanks very much in advance
Sponsor
greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 15:28    Post subject: Re: WRT600N Help Reply with quote
Morbeas wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and am confused about several things. First, this will be my first try at flashing my WRT600N with ddwrt firmware. I'm extremely confused about which version I should use. Could anyone please help me determine the best version to use please?

My issues with the stock firmware are as follows:

1 - Random disconnects when using the N band.
2 - Random disconnects on my other laptop when I use the N band and the other laptop is using the G band.
3 - Horrible USB support. Although I now have a ReadyNAS Duo, it still would be nice to be able to utilize the USB option built in to my 600N.
4 - Slow speed. It seems when I'm doing file transfers within my network, it takes forever even when I'm using the N band.

Anyway, these are some of the problems I've been experiencing and would like to make my router faster and more reliable so I would truly appreciate your help in determinig the exact version firmware I should use.

Thanks very much in advance

You could have probably searched through any one of the numerous threads on the subject and found your answers. Anyway, download and install this build:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/07-01-09-r12427/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mega_wrt600n.bin

It is the latest pre-SP2 version available. I advise this version because it has the WRT600N firmware trailer that will allow you to flash directly from stock firmware. So whether you have a V1.0 or V1.1, it will work. The Mega build has all the bells & whistles. Not sure if you need them all, but you can decide that for yourself upon doing a bit more research.

Anyway, this will easily get you started. Be sure to do a 30-30-30 reset both before and after you flash. If you don't know what that is, read this, the Peacock thread, before proceeding:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

Good luck. I have done my good deed for the day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Greekstile. I've followed your advice and flashed my firmware. My problem now seems to be that I can't connect to the secondary (NA-Only) channel. Any ideas? My intent is that I want the first channel (wl0) as G only and the second channel (wl1) as N only.

See attached for a screenshot.

Clipboard01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.22 KB
 Viewed:  5253 Time(s)

Clipboard01.jpg

greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you want to run 40MHz (wide) channels? I'm assuming so, in order to get 270mbps. First, set channel width to 40MHz, upper, save, then set a channel manually, hit apply. 36, 44, 52, and 60 are the best ones to use.

I would also set ack timing to 0 on both radios, although this shouldn't affect your ability to connect.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again Greekstile. I've followed your instructions but am still unable to connect to the N channel. Any other ideas?

Clipboard02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.39 KB
 Viewed:  5236 Time(s)

Clipboard02.jpg

greekstile
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be using WPA2 AES for security. Other than that, you have a client side issue.

Are you certain you did a 30-30-30 reset?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Weird, I just did a reboot on my laptop and everything seems ok now. Oh and yes, I did do a 30-30-30 reset before and after the firmware update.

Thanks so much for all your help Greekstile. Any other tips on optimizing the firmware settings?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: