WRT54GL Repeater Bridge DNS problem (LAN clients only)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
smiley505
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28    Post subject: WRT54GL Repeater Bridge DNS problem (LAN clients only) Reply with quote
Configured my WRT54GL to be a Repeater Bridge.

Wireless clients can connect and access internet through RB without issue (I'm posting it from a netbook connected to the RB).

Wired (LAN) clients can connect with static IP only (haven't fixed the DHCP issue yet, haven't tried), but DNS will not resolve. I can access http://209.85.225.147 (Google's IP address), but cannot access http://www.google.com on the same wired (LAN) laptop.

I have tried the fix listed on the Client Mode article under Linking Articles section. No dice.

Any ideas?

I am running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/21/09) std-nokaid - build 12188 on a WRT54GL v1.1 router.

Let me know if other information is needed.

Thank you!!!

KDW
Sponsor
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would start with note 15

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure you have a the primary router as the gateway in your RB. If that doesn't work, post a screenshot of your RB basic setup page.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
smiley505
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, saw that from the Client Mode article. It's the same as the primary router address.

Attached is the screenshot.

Screenshot-DD-WRT.png
 Description:
DD-WRT screenshot
 Filesize:  82.12 KB
 Viewed:  19353 Time(s)

Screenshot-DD-WRT.png

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is your PRIMARY router at 10.1.10.1? That is a strange IP for a primary. Also leave local DNS blank.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:25    Post subject: Re: WRT54GL Repeater Bridge DNS problem (LAN clients only) Reply with quote
smiley505 wrote:
Wired (LAN) clients can connect with static IP only (haven't fixed the DHCP issue yet, haven't tried), but DNS will not resolve. I can access http://209.85.225.147 (Google's IP address), but cannot access http://www.google.com on the same wired (LAN) laptop.

Did you set your DNS server(s) in the static IP config of your hosts and if so then what address(es) did you use?

smiley505
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Murrkf: Yes, the primary is 10.1.10.1, set up by Comcast Business class engineers (don't even ask). It's my landlord's network for the building.

@phuzi0n: I'm not sure if I did or not. But let me check. If not, what should I set it to? 10.1.10.1?

Edit: I set them to the OpenDNS servers, no change.

Last edited by smiley505 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:07; edited 1 time in total
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
My next question was going to be what was set for dns on the primary router. (I think that is was Phuzi0n asked, but he talks over my head all the time Embarassed ). Check out the wiki on openDNS.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
(I think that is was Phuzi0n asked, but he talks over my head all the time Embarassed )

Laughing Since the hosts are using static configs it doesn't matter what the router has configured because the hosts are going to use their own settings. If they don't have any DNS set then they won't be able to resolve any domains.

smiley505
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set them to the OpenDNS servers, no change Sad
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you get when you run nslookup google.com from one of the hosts? Could you post a small pic of your ip settings.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Murrkf wrote:
(I think that is was Phuzi0n asked, but he talks over my head all the time Embarassed )

Laughing Since the hosts are using static configs it doesn't matter what the router has configured because the hosts are going to use their own settings. If they don't have any DNS set then they won't be able to resolve any domains.

Look....he did it again.

Did you set the primary router to open dns, or the bridged router. I meant set the primary router...the one at 10.1.10.1. (You might not be able to do that if it is a building wide system.) Perhaps describe the setup behind your router. Any other routers/switches besides the one at 10.1.10.1? Perhaps you are setting the gateway to what is actually another bridged router....?

gmx0s482
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can read more about 10.1.10.1 router login here: https://10-0-0-0-1.org/10-1-10-1/
machrit119
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you router uses 10.0.1.1 as the defualt login address then I would advice you to port forward it some other ip. You can read here how to port forward 10.0.1.1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: