Joined: 08 May 2018
Location: Texas, USA
|Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 19:31 Post subject: Forum guidelines and pointers, read first!
|Welcome to the forum
Below some pointers which might help to get the best out of DDWRT and out of the forum:
- Research your router, start with the Supported Devices Wiki
- Installation Wiki
- Firmware FAQ
- Where do I download firmware?
(scroll up to the heading "Where Do I Download Firmware?)
- Firmware Notification News Feed - Thanks IONK!
(Add this subscription to any RSS reader client or email client if your email client supports RSS feeds, i.e. Thunderbird)
- In the supported devices wiki you can see if your router is supported and what architecture your router has and if you are lucky also an install guide/wiki.
- Post in the right forum, from the former step you can see if your router is Broadcom, Qualcomm/Atheros, Marvell or other, use that forum to post router specific questions, for networking questions (e.g. routing, vpn, firewall etc.) post in the Advanced Networking forum and for other things in the General Questions forum.
- When posting always state router model, build number and when applicable the Kernel version.
- Describe your problem and how you think it can be solved.
- Give as much detail as you can also provide your network setup if applicable.
- If you followed a wiki or manual let us know which one(s).
- For your Network setup, state what wiki you have used: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
- When posting pictures, please make sure the maximum width is not more than 768 pixels. 768x576 or 576x768 is ideal.
- You can also upload your image to an image hosting site and link the image in your post and the forum software will automatically re-size it so it doesn’t skew the forum page format.
- Do not hijack a thread, meaning do not post your own problem in someone else's thread. Just start your own thread.
This so that it can be searched and found by others.
- If your post is answered and your problem solved, mark your thread with [SOLVED] (the header of your first post).
- The router database is not up to date, builds can be found at:
- All builds are beta including those from the router database.
- Before uploading a new build to your router, research the build by looking in the build threads.
- This is an example of a build thread for build 42617 for Broadcom routers: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=323436
- Search build threads with the search function and search on build number.
- Chrome or Chromium based browsers do not play nice with DDWRT, especially when uploading a DDWRT build. Consider using Internet Explorer, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon, or even Edge, also FireFox might work.
- Use the build threads from the former step to report success or problems.
- For older Broadcom routers (Linksys WRT54 and E series) read the Peacock Thread although some of it is outdated:
- Builds can be found in the Broadcom directory for Linux kernel 2.4, in Broadcom_K26 for Linux K2.6 and in Broadcom_K3X for Linux K3.X.
- If you are sure you have discovered a bug, after asking and querying the forum, you can report a real bug in the bug tracker: https://svn.dd-wrt.com/
- This is also the place where the commits/changes to the source are administrated.
- Recommended reading:
- DD-WRT Wiki
- General Questions Forum Rules
- Peacock Announcement thread for historical Broadcom MIPS (k3x and older) information
- If you are happy with DDWRT and want it to live on then please donate:
Again, welcome everyone and please read the rules, guidelines, stickies and announcements in the forums to help us serve you better.
If you have questions feel free to ask, the forum guidelines will show you in what forum to post and what details you should share with us