Need help to unbrick WRT160N v1.0 - Problem Solved - Quikfix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
lim_daniel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:27    Post subject: Need help to unbrick WRT160N v1.0 - Problem Solved - Quikfix Reply with quote
Dear All,
Need help to unbrick v1.0 WRT160N. Accidently flashed VINT firmware and bricked it....

Power LED constant On upon bootup.*Doesn't blink
Weak WLAN Led.
Normal Lan and Wan LED.
Cannot Ping 192.168.1.1
ARP -a shows 192.168.1.1 and its MAC ID.

Opened up and checked:
Radio : BCM4703KFBG
FLASH : EN29LV320AB-70TCP

Had a Jtag cable properly soldered into the board. Chipset is not found with -probeonly setting using tjtag v3 RC1.

Using -fc:99 /nodma did not help and flashing halts.

Seen some one posted that they managed to unbrick their WRT160N. Both below methods did not help.
1) 30/30/30 followed by TFTP2 with original Linksys
- never managed to ping the router

2)JTAG, Set Bios to EPP and reboot
- Router never responded upon PC reboot

Can any kind souls help?

Last edited by lim_daniel on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:17; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would think that the processor would be recognized. Even if it can not be identified, you will still get some sort of number (F12348764)...

If you get a 000000000 or all 1111111111, there is something wrong with your jtag setup.

What are you trying to flash? All you need to do is ERASE nvran & kernel, then tftp the fw back. You should not have to flash anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=243780#243780
The current Tjtag can read from the flash but can't write to it because 8bit bus. Check that you solder correctly post some pictures of it if in doubt. Check that your Parallel port is at 0x378.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bummer... I would have thought T would have added support by now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only way I was able to unbrick mine was using the tftp.exe and the original firmware as it would not except any other. But before you have to get ping responses from the router and this is done by getting the power led flashing, tftp mode, and that is the tricky part because the only way that I found to do this was by shorting the 14th pin on the flash chip with a pin. Just to say that in the process of discovering this I touched other pins, pads and it is working perfectly now.
lim_daniel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gingernut wrote:
The only way I was able to unbrick mine was using the tftp.exe and the original firmware as it would not except any other. But before you have to get ping responses from the router and this is done by getting the power led flashing, tftp mode, and that is the tricky part because the only way that I found to do this was by shorting the 14th pin on the flash chip with a pin. Just to say that in the process of discovering this I touched other pins, pads and it is working perfectly now.

Thanks Gingernut,

I can ping 192.168.1.1 after shorting the pins as your information.

Power LEDS blinking, tftp original linksys software and restored the wrt160n. Now flashed to latest NEWD 12360 EKO DD-WRT v24 SP2.

For benefit of others. For Bricked WRT160N, open up the case and look at the EON flash eeprom. Run a paperclip along the pins (nea Pin 14) near to the EN29LVXXXX and short its corresponding pins, your WRT160N will go back to Management Mode (Ping ok, tftp ok).

Most importantly, do NOT Flash VINT version of v24 SP2 to WRT160N. It will brick your WRT160N.
lim_daniel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I took a pic of the EON Flash.

I took a paper clip and shorted it at pin 14 to is corresponding pins while the power to WRT160N is on.

Power LED became flashing, and i could ping and tftp to restore the Bricked WRT160N.

PIN 14 is located just beside the RED mark on the EON 29LV chip.

Good information if you need to unbrick.

andematt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45    Post subject: WRT160N Reply with quote
I have a 160N that had a failed flash on.

1. I reset it.
2. Wait for ping.
3. Send Linksys firmware with tftp.
4. Wait 2mins.
5. Ping it.
6. Power light still flashing ~2 times/sec - no web gui.
7. Reset again.
8. Pull hair out.
9. Start at 1 again.

I don't know what else I can try. It seems like it should be pretty simple to get this going again since it's ping-able and tftp says the firmware is transfered. Shorting out pin-14 is just to get it ping-able again, right??

Anybody have any ideas? I'm following the info here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash#Recovering_with_TFTP.

There's gotta be something I'm missing or could try differently.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try notes 6 and 11 of the peacock thread announcement. Top of this forum. Don't pin short.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
andematt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 18:18    Post subject: WRT160N Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Try notes 6 and 11 of the peacock thread announcement. Top of this forum. Don't pin short.

Ok, read those sections again and I'm filled with new hope Very Happy. I'll try some more and come back with my results. I definitely wasn't being fussy enough about timing the tftp.

Thanks for the reply.
tonibg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gingernut wrote:

Thank you !!! Very Happy
sagitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
tonibg wrote:
Gingernut wrote:

Thank you !!! Very Happy

short with what?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Short with your ear. DON'T SHORT ANYTHING! It ruins routers.

Read the peacock announcement, note 6 if you think you might have a bricked router. Often they are not even bricked.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
NXIL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 18:56    Post subject: Don't! Reply with quote
Don't put Tabasco sauce in your eyes.

Don't stick a fork in a wall socket.

Don't cross the street before looking.

Don't jump off a cliff.

SP1: it's a problem.
sagitt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
i unbricked my router with short 14 pin ^^
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: