Which firmware version better for REPEATER mode (sp1? sp2?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mabhz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 22:05    Post subject: Which firmware version better for REPEATER mode (sp1? sp2?) Reply with quote
I´ll start all over again the process of flashing a brand new DIR-300, and this time i would like to flashing it with a firmware version that has better support for the repeater mode feature (last time i used V24 Sp1, and couldnt make it work as a repeater).

A few people here on this very forum mentioned that version 24 SP1 didnt have a good support for the repeater mode, but i really dont know if that is true, so i was wondering which version provides better support.

Anyway, id like some advice from the more experienced folks here concerning which version should i grab (a link to the correct URL would also be great, if possible!) that has a stable and working support for the repeater funcionality.

I will only use this DIR 300 to connect a xbox360 on the lan port to access my wifi network that runs on a WRT54G, with WAP2.

Thank you all very much in advance for any help.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
where is the problem to test it?!
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im really sorry but i didnt understand your question...

problem of testing what??
orange
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
problem of testing what??

Testing what version suits your needs better?
Quote:
a link to the correct URL would also be great, if possible!

I already provided this URL to you within one of your other countless topics dealing with one and the same problem/question. No offence intended, but bumping and asking at several places honestly don't higher your chances to get appropriate help from volunteers. There are some very knowledged people frequenting the forums and IF they're able to answer your questions, they'll do. I'd recommend you trying some thing first by yourself though and then ask more specific questions. Just my 2c!

mabhz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Testing what version suits your needs better?

Oh, i see! Well, thats an easy answer! Sorry for the straigh direct answer, but the absolute truth is YES, thats a major problem. Im pretty sure someone done it before, so it would be much more logic to follow the footsteps instead of trying to figure it out all by myself through trial and error. Theres nothing wrong in sitting down and getting a huge kick out of getting involved in the whole process of tests, tweaks, minor adjustments and configuration, etc, etc, but thats not my cup of tea. Im not even network educated, my router conf skills are bare minimun.
I dont want to spend any second longer that whats needed to flash it and configure given the correct files and steps (procedures) needed. I just want to get my xbox on the network.

I just want a quick job: flash it, configure it, forget about it.

Quote:
I already provided this URL to you within one of your other countless topics dealing with one and the same problem/question. No offence intended, but bumping and asking at several places honestly don't higher your chances to get appropriate help from volunteers. There are some very knowledged people frequenting the forums and IF they're able to answer your questions, they'll do.

I agree, and i HATE folks who do multiple posts at foruns, but, quite frankly, folks at this forum at very unhelful, to say the least. Check the answer the first guy gave me. Totally useless. As many replies i got on this forum. I dont know what the problem with folks here, if they are soo high level experts that they loath newbies, but even the guides and tutorials here are hard to understand, the instructions dont follow the options you have on screen!! Seems like you need good guessing skills and couple of months of network education in order to use them! The wiki here is very confusing. Nothing is clear enough, and you have to "guess" a lot of blanks in the guides! Sometimes to understand a simple paragraph, you have to google a lot of stuff before it makes sense. And theres a guy in this forum whose answer to most threads is usually "wiki this", "wiki that"! Thats just hilarious!! Im sure the wiki is great for the experts, but i belive at least some of the guides should be tailored after people who are not very familiar with the subject. After all, its a tutorial guide, isnt it?

Quote:
I'd recommend you trying some thing first by yourself though and then ask more specific questions. Just my 2c!

As i mentioned before, i dont want to bump into anything by trial and error. I did my fair amount of trying with the first DIR 300 i had (5 full afternoons through the garbage can), and due to lack of information, both on the wiki and on the posts i posted here, now this router is pratically unusable. Yes, i damaged it because I made something stupid! But, boy, i did read many pages of the wiki and asked for help here in MANY posts, as you mentioned. All i got were a couple vague or late replies. In many other foruns i use, its very easy to get an straight answer and the correct footsteps to achive what you want. For some reason i really cant figure out, that´s impossible here!! And quite frankly, im tired of trying to get help and learn something here. I talked with a few people in other foruns, in other languages, and curiously they all have the same opinion. I really dont understand how hard it is to help someone with a simple direct answer like:"hey, use this exact firmware version 123b preSp2, that you can get on the URL etc.etc.com, because it has better support for repeater function, i use it and i know! And when configuring your router as repeater, follow this guide at www.ww.ww (forget wiki, its outdated, was made for version 0.23 beta 2)".

And by the way, thank you for the URL you posted! You are a very rare exception here!

Maybe ill just leave my next DIR 300 as it is. Maybe im too dumb in the subject to deserve the attention of the "knowledged people" you said that happen to come to this forum. Just my 2c! Smile
orange
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a few sentences to a valid post you did. You're right that the tone in these forums isn't the best and that's definitely unfortunate. I can tell you the reason for this though - it's plain frustration. I have no knowledge at all about the DIR-300 and thus I just provided the help I was able to give you - the URL. If you'd have a fonera model you could be sure to get the answer you're requesting from my side. Back to the frustration issue: This is nothing against you personally and I cannot really estimate this specific case but trust me... here are MANY newbies just too LAZY to learn things by themselves. And if you're contributing a lot as a volunteer to a community like Sash for example (the guy you were referring to) you just have your nose full of these silly questions appearing sometimes multiple times at the same day although they are either already answered on the SAME forums page two topics below or even in a STICKY someone contributed in his spare free time. I can clearly see both points of view and it's hard to find a concensus here. In your specific case I'd think you lost interest by bumping the forums just too much. That's my opinion. And again... I'm sorry for leaving you alone, I would help if I could!

I'm not sure if you're interested in my "bullshit" but if you are, I'd like to refer you to a forums post http://www.fonerahacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=222 I've written some time ago over at fonerahacks. This should provide some more insight about the frustration of volunteers and some rules of behaviour in communities in general. Looking forward to your opinion on this.

best,
orange

mabhz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Orange, my comments werent in any aspect about you, who were very nice to me, or about Sash, or anyone else specifically. I didnt know the guy who post in this thread was the one that usually posts "wiki whatever" until you mentioned it. And quite frankly, i think his attitude would be just perfect if the wiki avaliable was actually a decent wiki. Again, i have to correct myself: maybe it is PERFECT for those who are following dd-wrt, routers configurations, hacks, mods, etc, etc, etc, for a time, but for those like me who have ZERO interest in becoming experts on the subject, and just like to perform a task and never again get into this specific world, the wiki is really unhelpful. Compare it to some Wii Wikis, or even other IT area wikis, and you get a wiki that builds knowledge from ground zero up! This one seems to start on the intermediate level of knowledge upwards. And to me, thats just pointless. But im nobody and my opinion dont care.

Sash´s attitude is completely understandable, and as i mentioned, his intetions are totally correct, because he wants to make people get out of their lazy attitude and try a bit harder to dig information.

What drove me nuts, is the fact that i actually tried my butt off reading many wiki pages, navigating throuhg the extremelly confusing download directories here (come on!!! you have files that are EXCLUSIVE for broadcom hardware in a folder that DONT MENTION THE WORD BROADCOM anywhere???? or the opposite: this firmwares DOES NOT work on atheros hardware?? man, that is SO pro-oriented and "newbies, up your asses!!" (sorry!)), reading through many posts that always had incomplete explanations, or terms i couldnt understand, that i found really hilarious the replies "wiki this" or "wiki that".

Again, thank you very much for your kindness and for being able to really READ my last post and not just feel offended and react, like i believe many pros here will do! Just give them some time. But i couldnt care less!! They are plain useless.

Im not familiar with the expression "bumping the foruns" (sorry for my poor english), but i believe that probably is something like posting too much. I agree, but as i said earlier, in 13 years of internet, being active in over 50 foruns of the most opposite areas possible, i have never found such a frustrating forum full of unfriendly and unhelpfull people like this one. Its a very hermetic community, dd-wrt is NOT for the average joe, who does router firmware flashing like drinking water, and because of that, i was expecting quite the opposite: an extremely welcoming and helpfull community. Now i understand why a guy in a forum i posted before joining the dd-wrt, asking about it, said that even though dd-wrt might be a good solution for me, joining the community would only raise problems!

And i dont think your post was "bullshit". I will read the link you gave me later on, for sure.

And this all started because I thought flashing a inexpensive DIR300 would be a cheaper solution for connecting my xbox360 on my wireless network than purchasing the expensive official connector or purchasing a access point!!

(this forum is sooo lame that for the 10th time, i finished writing a post and got an error message saying that the post was lost due to lag time or something like that! this happened many times before: after writing a long text, i hit submit and all was lost. Thanks God now i know everything here is badly made, so i copied all the text before hitting submit! hehe)
orange
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will answer in more detail later on - just wondering if you already had a look at this one http://www.fonerahacks.com/index.php/Tutorials-and-Guides/Xbox-360-Wireless-Adapter-Using-the-La-Fonera.html - it's for the Fonera but the actual setup shouldn't differ too much.
mabhz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im checking the guide right now. Fonera uses Broadcom or Atheros hardware??

well, finished reading it. I did exactly that but couldnt make my DIR get into the wifi newtork.
I was running WAP2, so i put the same passphrase in the DIR panel. No luck!
intrax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
@mabhz
I'm sorry to say that I don't agree with your negative opinion about these forums and the way people are reacting. Your experience is surely due to the way you are behaving here and you are formulating your questions and posts in general. In the end you are getting what you are putting in. I'm sorry to say that I get the impression, that a lot of newbees here just want a quick fix and are not willing to invest time and effort to really get an understanding of what they are doing, but hey 'you can't fly to the moon, without a proper astronaut training and the right spacesuit' and you surely seem to want to do that. Sorry dude, but that's NOT the way it works... Cool

my 2cs...
mabhz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im sorry, dude, but thats not the way it works with you. Dont put it in general.

Want examples?

I have ZERO skills in eletronic and eletric equipment, never worked with a soldering iron before in my life, and never ever had any affection for the hardware aspect of computers. Been around computers all my life, but never cared for the hands on the job aspect of it.

So, couple of years ago, got myself a Wii console right after it was released. I wanted to mod it, so i purchased the hacking board (Cyclowiz) online, got into a couple of foruns, got myself a very good tutorial, which described every little step of the process, including the soldering part (that i have never done before), and guess what? I hacked my Wii all by myself, without never doing anything similar to it before. Did i need to spend countless hours educating myself in eletronics or Wii-wiki reading? Nope, just bought a soldering iron, read the tutorial carefully twice before attempting, and just got at it. After 45 min, my wii was sucessfully moded.

All thanks to a couple very nice folks on a Wii oriented forum, and two extremelly well written guides, one for opening the Wii (very complicated), another for soldering the mod circuit on the correct points on the DVD Drive (no complicated, but rather delicate).

The comparation you did is just out of contex. You could compare the austronaut thing with a brain surgery, but definitely not with a router flashing!! Come on, be reasonable! A router dd-wrt is much more comparable to a cake baking: you just need a good recipe, a good kitchen, the ingredients and a good will to perform it and get a good cake.

So, thanks to that, I stick to my previous point of view and unfortunately cant agree with you. What most newbies want, a quick fix, is definitely possible, if you get a helpfull community, which this forum does not have.

Last edited by mabhz on Fri Jun 12, 2009 17:39; edited 1 time in total
mabhz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Orange, i just read that link you gave me, about your "rant" on the fonera community.

Well, i agree with about 99% of what you wrote.
The 1% is due not to facts that i dont agree, but rather with a complementary perspective to yours, that you didnt include on your rant.

I agree with the seeder/leecher parallel you made. But i believe that its impossible to have "0,0% hit and run leechers", simply because of the nature of human beings: some will definitely and honestly have ZERO interest in that specific community. Its not a question of disrespect or lack of gratitude, they just really dont want to get involved with that kind of knowledge, so they are just looking for some specific answer to solve their specific problem.

Some others, and i hope a good 60% at least, are the resident members, those who like to stay there, post questions but also post their oppinions and experiences. THESE are the ones that really make the community.

The real problem appears when these "60%" are made mostly of newbies and begginers, hence giving you the "questions without answers" situation, because they really dont know the answers. And also when the "60%" start to drop below 30%, when your community will lack posts... or at least, reply posts to threads.

In the end, i still believe that its quite acceptable to have the "hit and run" folks, because in the larger picture, they probably ARENT hit and run on the communities that cover their main interests. Im definitely a "hit and run" here, and i´ll always be because i really dont want to learn and keep in my brain anything related to this except for those moments when i try to make my router work. But, at the same time, i´m a daily contributor to a few foruns on other topics and a couple mailing lists too.

So bottonline: the frequent contributors of the fonera community (and this and others!!) probably are eventual "hit and runners" on other communities!!
madscientist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi mabhz,
on the one hand, I can understand your disappointment of not getting help. But on the other hand you miss an important point. Writing a firmware is pretty complicated and adapting it to various hardware which you might not even have on your desk is almost impossible. Still, the developers try to do exactly this. That means, dd-wrt is under heavy development, constantly there are new versions made available. There might be recommended builds, but there are no bug-free builds. But this seems to be what you ask for: flash it, forget it! This clearly cannot work. First, you have to understand what you are doing. It is indeed like baking a cake: If you mess up the recipe, you can throw away the cake, if you mess up router flashing, you can throw away your router.

If you do not want to understand or deal with all the details, go and buy something which offers all the functions you need. It is existing, but for a good reason a lot more expensive than normal home routers.

BTW regarding the time out when writing a post: have you tried the back button of your browser. And try hitting "Preview".
mabhz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
madscientist, thanks for your time and post.

I think i didnt express myself clearly! I totally agree with you and i know all those things you stated, because im an IT guy also and im familiar with that scenario. What i was trying to say about "flash it, configure it, forget about it" is that somepoeple dont want to get heavily into the comunity and follow it like they would some other scene. Of course i would bump in every othe 6 months and check if something was new, if any new version was a "must" as far as upgrading, but i would definitely not make this my daily routine, like some other sites, foruns and comunities.

That is NOT what i am asking for. Got my point?? :-)

But that has nothing to do with my main point: this forum attitude sucks. One thing is no excuse for the other.

COncerning the back button as a solution for the time out, that doesnt work, because this forum doesnt allow for a cookie on the posts. So, hit the back button and you get a blank post screen!
speedo_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
where is the problem to test it?!

Why to test?
Does DIR 300 works in Repeater Mode?

There are many posts in this forum saying that DIR-300 don't work in the repeater mode.

Why the need to test?

Regards
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: