@ redhawk0 if u like to i would suggest u for mod in:

Development
broadcom
announcement
search and find
customer download

do u have any other language skills?

anyone else? soulstace?
especially i'm searching for some powerusers with french, spanish and russian to have a at the other forums, too. or guys who are interesssted in atheros wisoc's and ralink (which will be big in the future)

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
@ redhawk0 if u like to i would suggest u for mod in:

Development
broadcom
announcement
search and find
customer download

do u have any other language skills?

anyone else? soulstace?
especially i'm searching for some powerusers with french, spanish and russian to have a at the other forums, too. or guys who are interesssted in atheros wisoc's and ralink (which will be big in the future)

If you feel I am appropriate as a Mod...feel free to make the recommendation. I specialize more on the Hardware side of things but I do have a basic working knowledge in regard to configurations and basic to moderate setting support. I would not say thatI have a working knowledge of the Advanced setups....My profession is not in IT...but rather Customer Service Support.

Unfortunately regarding forum support, I only speak/write/understand English (and sometimes I wonder how good I am at that Laughing )

Personally, I think Soulstace would make an excellent Mod. The man is very knowledgeable and it is quite obvious that he has some advanced skills regarding networking.....all you can do is ask him!

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soulstace and Redhawk are both excellent choices as moderators. Well balanced, non-egotistical, knowledgeable and present! Redhawk's accepted. Make it happen!

I also like the idea that there be a "pre-wiki". It would allow people who aren't certain enough to try to put input (where many won't in the actual wiki for fear of being wrong) which can get things started, but prevents the abuses and posting opinion as fact that can occur.

Another way to do this is to have new changes show up as "proposed changes" in red or something else that distinguishes them from older content, that would take effect in a specified time period like 15 days. Moderators could be exempt from the "hold" feature.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
guys another thin is the bug tracking system....i vote for disabling annonymous and registert users to report and only mods/admin to post bugs they got in the forum and got verified.
btw one bugtracker is enough....mabe we can use one as honeypot Laughing

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exactly, a choice needs to be made to keep using Mantis or not. Since in both systems (mantis and trac) are beeing used which is confusing for users.

Donater
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
...im just writing down my thoughs...

also if we decide to do a closed bugtracking we need to know all hw we have for testing and verifying and which person it owns so that we can get in contact on problems...but that will be an internal problem Wink

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
guys another thin is the bug tracking system....i vote for disabling annonymous and registert users to report and only mods/admin to post bugs they got in the forum and got verified.
btw one bugtracker is enough....mabe we can use one as honeypot Laughing

I disagree with this....Yes I agree we need one bug tracker...but I believe registered users should be allowed to enter bugs. (there should not be annonymous users allowed to post bug reports) I for one don't have time to read/understand every post that comes across the forum. Many times, if I don't have a specific model router listed in the Post subject....it won't be read for quite some time by me. If we leave it to a mod/admin only for bug entries....it won't be very efficient nor will all the problems be reported. Sure there are a lot of "invalid" TRAC bugs that come through...but let the devs decide what is and isn't a FW related problem.

Due to the huge variety of configurations that can be incorporated....its isn't prudent to lock out users that have valuable input to the project. My setup is different then yours, his, and theirs....lets not limit ourselves by closing the door on a valuable resource....our users.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
LLB wrote:
Soulstace and Redhawk are both excellent choices as moderators. Well balanced, non-egotistical, knowledgeable and present! Redhawk's accepted. Make it happen!

Agreed 100% in regards to Redhawk & Soulstace. Not that my opinion matters.. But both are knowledgeable & have the right patience level & temperament.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash;
I don't often post here; my field is in rf and antennae. I would note that as long as BS/Eko fix bugs AND code new features at the same time, we will have lots of bugs submitted. Not that this is a bad thing, but is a fact of life; and the devs need to have lots of feedback from as many testers as possible. Keep access to bugs submissions open for all. You need them.

WRT Redhawk and Soulstace...for as long as I have been reading these forums (everyday), they have impressed me with the energy, politeness, and willingness to share their findings and ideas. I hope they stick around...I learn lots from them.
Regards,
Bob
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
robert you are right but thats an internal problem that we are aware of and will be discussed when sp2 is released. atm it makes no sense to modify it.

@redhawk0
i dont think that every noob who is registert should post bug...that pulls down the quality of reportings to a minium. but i understand that u might not have the time/knowledge/passion/.... to read every bug you see in the forum.
then we could open the tracker for 20-30 qualified users for tracking which should be enough...but definitely not for everybody.
afaik BS and EKO dont read every reported bug its the same with the forum...its a matter of time and quality Sad

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
robert you are right but thats an internal problem that we are aware of and will be discussed when sp2 is released. atm it makes no sense to modify it.

@redhawk0
i dont think that every noob who is registert should post bug...that pulls down the quality of reportings to a minium. but i understand that u might not have the time/knowledge/passion/.... to read every bug you see in the forum.
then we could open the tracker for 20-30 qualified users for tracking which should be enough...but definitely not for everybody.
afaik BS and EKO dont read every reported bug its the same with the forum...its a matter of time and quality Sad

Maybe we could setup the Bug reporter to accept only input from a user with "Guru" status...that is 500 posts minimum....but it would require the transfer of all forum user ID's to the bug tracker user ID....is that even possible.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Maybe we could setup the Bug reporter to accept only input from a user with "Guru" status...that is 500 posts minimum....but it would require the transfer of all forum user ID's to the bug tracker user ID....is that even possible.

redhawk

Anything is possible when you know a little bit of scripting Smile For example Mantis uses the same encoding for passwords (md5) so with a little script and some queries it should be possible to migrate all forum users with 500+ posts to the user database of mantis.

Donater
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk, nice idea!
&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Redhawk/Sash
I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the "guru" idea, eg. 500+ posts. You might want to rethink this...for example, I haunt the fedora forums, and there is a poster with in excess of 8000 posts, but usually his posts are mostly worthless. It is not had to get a high post count with trivia. OTOH, I have seen very knowledgeable posts from people with less than a dozen posts on this site. I imagine they do not post unless they feel they can contribute something important.
It is a hard problem to fix; maybe take your time to come to a solution. Often that is the best course. Good luck.
Bob
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
robert-e wrote:
Redhawk/Sash
I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the "guru" idea, eg. 500+ posts. You might want to rethink this...for example, I haunt the fedora forums, and there is a poster with in excess of 8000 posts, but usually his posts are mostly worthless. It is not had to get a high post count with trivia. OTOH, I have seen very knowledgeable posts from people with less than a dozen posts on this site. I imagine they do not post unless they feel they can contribute something important.
It is a hard problem to fix; maybe take your time to come to a solution. Often that is the best course. Good luck.
Bob

Thanx Bob....very good point....and I have to agree. There must be a good solution.

Personally, I don't really think anything is necessary. Let the community post bugs....they will need to be validated by the Devs anyway.

"invalid" or "worksforme" as a ticket status is rather painless....IMHO.

Sash...we need to keep thinking about this one....if we really need/want to do something....but a consolidation to a single Bug Tracker should be a must.

Personally, I only post bugs in the TRAC utility...I don't even use Mantis any longer.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: