OpenVPN startup script problem and fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
slothrop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 23:08    Post subject: OpenVPN startup script problem and fix Reply with quote
I've been having trouble covincing my router to launch OpenVPN at boot. I followed the instructions on the Wiki (for multiple certificates; running from /tmp/.rc_startup, not jffs) and everything works fine if I start it by running /tmp/.rc_startup from the command line (using v23 SP2, 9/15/06). The problem is only at boot; the logs indicate that openvpn starts at boot, but it seems to die (although there's no record of that in the logs); I can't connect and openvpn doesn't show in the ps list.

I found that by changing the last lines of the standard script from

sleep 5
openvpn --config openvpn.conf

to

sleep 5
ln -s /usr/sbin/openvpn /tmp/myvpn
/tmp/myvpn --config openvpn.conf

it now works perfectly. I have *no idea* why this makes a difference, but I remember that the old startup scripts called for something like this. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, hope it helps someone. Solved my problem, anyway.

[Edit: I just noticed that other people have been having this problem, too. The same solution seems to work for them: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=29111.
Maybe we should update the Wiki?]

PS. I'd also been having a problem connecting using Tunnelblick from my Mac. I think I have a solution - will post later if it works. [Edit 2: Yes, it does. See http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5058]
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: