Easy success on WAP54G v2 MDG2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
sprocket87 wrote:
FYI, I ran into an issue when flashing my WAP54G (v3.1) using the correct build and instructions on the DD-WRT site (and this post). The upload failed with some error about incorrect version (Even though I followed the instructions in this post to the letter). However, I couldn't load the web interface after that! I could still ping the WAP but the web interface would never load.

I thought I had bricked my router and tried (unsuccessfully) to reset & repair it using the wiki instructions. But I came back to it a week later and was able to connect! The only difference was that I was using a different laptop this time. Hmm...

The thing was, when I connected to the web interface, DD-WRT DID actually install, despite the error message. The only issue was the incorrect MAC address, which I cloned to the one on the bottom of the WAP (I cloned WAN and Wireless to the same one, hopefully that doesn't make a difference).

After doing this, I lost ability to open the web interface again. Then it hit me: The reason I couldn't connect (BOTH times) was that the MAC address got changed (first from factory to DD-WRT default, then back to factory). Windows (XP) was trying to connect via HTTP to that IP via the associated MAC address, which was no longer valid, and it timed out. Pings still worked fine.

I checked the arp table (from a command prompt: arp -a) and sure enough, the MAC address for the WAP IP was the wrong one. So I just cleared the arp table cache in XP. From a command line, type: netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Worked like a charm! XP added the new, changed MAC address to the arp table and HTTP traffic (web interface) works just dandy again.

HTH someone in the future...

Jesse

Thank you for the information....I linked to this post in the wiki.

redhawk

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, I had a different issue with the WAP54G v3.1. My problem was it kept giving me the error upon upgrading firmware through the web interface: "Error during upgrade" (tried all versions, this is the last one tho: dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_micro.bin). Then became bricked, loaded default linksys fw through cmd:

tftp -i 192.168.1.245 PUT LinksysWAP54G-Cisco-3.04.03_20071227_ver3.trx

this restored factory image, wap came back up. tried to flash image again (dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_micro.bin), locked wap again. power cycle wap, it was waiting for tftp image again on .245, sent the dd image:

tftp -i 192.168.1.245 PUT dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_micro.bin

allowed 1 minute, could ping it on .1. Everything worked.

I was scared to load the ddwrt image from tftp, logically I assumed this was a type of disaster recovery and if loading a non-working image it would break it for good, well not the case.

Read a few places where the VINT seems more stable, honestly didn't try anything else, this just happened to work.

Had similar issue as sprocket87, my MAC's changed, however they were all unique so it didn't break anything.

config it as stated here:
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28all_the_rest_that_is_not_re-engineered_til_today.29
To operate purely as an access point:
* Setup> Basic Setup> Wan Connection Type: Disabled, DHCP Server: Disabled
* Setup> Advanced Routing> Opertating Mode: Router
* Security> SPI Firewall: Disable
* Administration> Management> Routing: Disable
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
dent wrote:
FYI, I had a different issue with the WAP54G v3.1. My problem was it kept giving me the error upon upgrading firmware through the web interface: "Error during upgrade" (tried all versions, this is the last one tho: dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_micro.bin). Then became bricked, loaded default linksys fw through cmd:

this restored factory image, wap came back up. tried to flash image again (dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_micro.bin), locked wap again. power cycle wap, it was waiting for tftp image again on .245, sent the dd image:

I was scared to load the ddwrt image from tftp, logically I assumed this was a type of disaster recovery and if loading a non-working image it would break it for good, well not the case.

Read a few places where the VINT seems more stable, honestly didn't try anything else, this just happened to work.

Had similar issue as sprocket87, my MAC's changed, however they were all unique so it didn't break anything.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28all_the_rest_that_is_not_re-engineered_til_today.29

Did you do the setup for a WAP as stated in the wiki. If you don't...your reset button won't work.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Linksys_WAP54G

And...we recommend the NEWD builds for the V3.1 unit...again in this wiki entry.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
dent wrote:

Actually, I think our problems were pretty similar. I've been meaning to post an addendum to my MAC address post, but I hadn't gotten a chance.

I've since successfully flashed FIVE WAP54Gs (v3.1) with the dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin firmware that was recommended on the main DD-WRT site. I had the same problem with each one: "Error during upgrade" from the Linksys firmware. Then the WAP became unresponsive (even after clearing the ARP table), except for pings to the default IP (192.168.1.245).

All I had to do at this point was use the DrayTek Router Tools(basically TFTP I think) to RE-flash the WAP with the same dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin file. I specified the default IP (.245) and password (admin) for the WAP, and it uploaded and flashed without a hitch. I could immediately login to the WAP at 192.168.1.1 and DD-WRT was installed successfully.

Note that if I tried using the Router Tools flash method BEFORE uploading the DD-WRT firmware using the Linksys firmware upgrade method, the flash would fail. I HAD to go the Linksys Admin > Firmware Upgrade method first, which failed (Error during upgrade), before the Router Tools upgrade would work, PERIOD.

But it worked great like this. I did five of them with no other issues (besides having to do a MAC clone).

Here's my step-by-step, if anyone cares:

1. Obtain the DD-WRT Firmware (these steps are for the dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin file)
2. Perform a hard reset on the WAP: With the power plugged in, hold the reset pin for 30 seconds. Continue holding the reset button while unplugging the power. Reseat the power connecter while continuing to hold the reset button for another 30 seconds.
3. Plug a network patch cable from the WAN port of the WAP to the network port of the PC or laptop you wish to use to configure the WAP with
4. Configure the PCs LAN IP Address to 192.168.1.2 with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0
5. Open an Internet Explorer browser and navigate to http://192.168.1.245. This is the default IP of the WAP54G
6. You should be prompted for login credentials; leave the username blank and use admin for the password. If you are unable to connect to the address, double-check your TCP/IP settings and make sure to give the router a couple minutes after rebooting it
7. Once you are logged in successfully you should see the default Linksys firmware configuration page. Manually navigate to the address http://192.168.1.245/fw-conf.asp
8. Change both firmware header selection boxes to Disabled and apply the change
9. Navigate back to http://192.168.1.245 and click the Administration button. Then click Firmware Upgrade
10. Browse to the location of the upgrade .bin file and upload it ( attached)
11. If you get an "Error during upgrade" message after the upload, acknowledge it and close the browser. Then perform another 30 second hard reset of the router.
12. Install the DrayTek Router Tools/TFTP Firmware Upgrade Utility on the PC
13. Open the Firmware Upgrade Utility. Choose Upgrade, enter 192.168.1.245 as the Router IP, choose the same DD-WRT .bin firmware file, and enter admin as the password. Leave the Time Out and Port settings at their default (5, 69) and press Send. The firmware file will be sent to the router and applied correctly. You will get a router time out error after it has been applied, as it will reboot
Once the router has rebooted it will have a new IP Address: 192.168.1.1. Navigate there using an IE browser
14. You should be greeted with a new default firmware page -- DD-WRT's. Configure as necessary. Check the MAC address and compare it to the one on the sticker on the bottom of the WAP - if it's different, you can change it to the correct one using the Setup > MAC Address Clone page.
cw-kid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:08    Post subject: Re: Easy success on WAP54G v2 MDG2 Reply with quote
Krellan wrote:

3) Your MAC address will get corrupted after doing the upgrade. It will get changed to 00-90-4C-60-04-01. You can keep this if you want, but since I had 2 WAP54G's on my network, they needed to be different. So, I "cloned" the MAC address back to what I had originally!

I have just flashed two Linksys WAP54G's with dd-wrt.v24-11296_NEWD_micro.bin

Both Access Points have the sames mac addresses now

LAN: 00:90:4C:91:00:01
WAN: 00:90:4C:91:00:02 (Disabled anyways)
WLAN: 00:90:4C:91:00:03

I did not make a note of what the mac addresses were original before I flashed the Linksys firmware to the DD-WRT one.

I'm not sure what to do now any tips?

Thanks.
clueless/wireless
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 0:50    Post subject: Cannot disable WAN connection type on WAP54g Reply with quote
I am new here, and I am sorry in advance for asking you to cater to my ignorance. Basically I have a WAP54g V. 2. I have installed the appropriate firmware, but I want to disable the WAN connection type. Each time I try to do so, it jumps to a blank screen with http://192.168.1.1/apply.cgi in the address field. Is it possible to disable the WAN connection type with my WAP54g? If so, what should I do to prevent this jump to a blank page after I alter the WAN connection type field? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

In fact, anything that I try to change results in this blank page appearing.
Leifeld
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 0:48    Post subject: Re: Cannot disable WAN connection type on WAP54g Reply with quote
clueless/wireless wrote:
I am new here, and I am sorry in advance for asking you to cater to my ignorance. Basically I have a WAP54g V. 2. I have installed the appropriate firmware, but I want to disable the WAN connection type. Each time I try to do so, it jumps to a blank screen with http://192.168.1.1/apply.cgi in the address field. Is it possible to disable the WAN connection type with my WAP54g? If so, what should I do to prevent this jump to a blank page after I alter the WAN connection type field? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

In fact, anything that I try to change results in this blank page appearing.

Sorry about the late reply but just saw the message. Hope it helps soeone else.

Clear the cache in your browser. I just set Firefox cache size to zero and had no more problems with displaying the apply.cgi screen.
sefs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi i am having some difficulties.

after flashing these are my mac addresses.

LAN: 00:90:4C:91:00:01
WAN: 00:90:4C:91:00:02
WLAN: 00:90:4C:91:00:03

I totally forgot to record what they were before! lol.

There is one mac address at the bottom of my device. I dont know if thats the lan wan or wlan.

I have tried both

nvram set WAPver=3
nvram commit

and

nvram set et0macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
nvram commit

XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX is the mac address on the sticker. But that is just one mac address what about the other 2.

And besides the above commands does not change the mac address that dd-wrt has set.

I have a ver 3 wap54g and using firmware svn revision 13064

Need some help to figure out how to set back the orginal macs.

Thanks.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
et0 = the mac on the sticker.. you know that. il0 = eto+1 which will be the wan mac butt Razz a wap does not have a wan. et0+2 = wlan mac. the macs are calculated from et0

my wap v2.. lan mac = ~.87, the wan mac is blank, and the wlan mac = ~.89

so.. ~.88 is missing.. this is expected cuz a wap has no wan..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
et0 = the mac on the sticker.. you know that. il0 = eto+1 which will be the wan mac butt Razz a wap does not have a wan. et0+2 = wlan mac. the macs are calculated from et0

my wap v2.. lan mac = ~.87, the wan mac is blank, and the wlan mac = ~.89

so.. ~.88 is missing.. this is expected cuz a wap has no wan..

I am a retard... i was typing eth0macaddr instead of et0macaddr

so ..

nvram set et0macaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
nvram commit

works in the startup script but not

nvram set WAPver=3
nvram commit

and you are correct the other two values seem to have auto calculated from et0 :)

Thank you.
sefs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="redhawk0"]
dent wrote:

Did you do the setup for a WAP as stated in the wiki. If you don't...your reset button won't work.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Linksys_WAP54G

And...we recommend the NEWD builds for the V3.1 unit...again in this wiki entry.

redhawk

This link leads to the top of a generic installation page.
RenRenRen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can find the WAP54G installation instructions here Smile
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey!

You are talking a lot about MAC changing and other stuff, but is there anybody who can tell how to create wireless ROUTER from WAP54G Access Point?

Every time I am searching for this info, I find discussions how to change MAC, but I don't need that, or maybe I do..?

If there is no way to create router, maybe somewhere is a manual at least how to create Wireless repeater?

thanks!
TigTex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WAP54G

... read the wiki and install dd-wrt. After that you can do what you want with your wap.

4 years old thread...
SoWhat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for quick replay. DD-WRT is already installed, but it is too complicated for me to configure it as a router without manual.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: