Asus WL-500W second time bricked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I put a header on my adapter then used clips to connect it to the router. This device has a db9 connector and plugs into a USB to serial converter.

I just set it up & it works well. I posted where I got it earlier.

I had another one which I use for something else & didn't want to mess with that one as the voltage & plugs I installed are specific for its use.

Total cost for the ttl <=> serial adapter, header with wire harness & clips about 15 bucks. I already has the usb to serial adapter.

Last edited by barryware on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:34; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
The voltages don't mean anything. Just don't connect to two (pc @5V and the router @ 3.3V). This voltage supplyed is to power the ttl adapter.

Explain these things:
1: What do you mean "Just dont connect to two"?
2: What is the ttl adapter?

Im sorry for being a pest I just dont wanna fuck anything up.

Quote:

http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=11

Im not in the US.

pock wrote:
riahc3,

Personally I wouldn't mess with that micro USB board I used.. I really struggled with soldering something so small.. I would recommend RedHawk's setup.. the pin headers with clips. I ordered a crap load of those pin headers, if u decide to use RedHawk's setup I'd send you some no charge.

Pock

Thanks but like above, Im not in the US.

Quote:

I put a header on my adapter then used clips to connect it to the router. This device has a db9 connector and plugs into a USB to serial converter.

I had another one which I use for something else & didn't want to mess with that one as the voltage & plugs I installed are specific for its use.

Total cost for the ttl <=> serial adapter, header with wire harness & clips about 15 bucks. I already has the usb to serial adapter.

So is this a solderless solution?

And my question is that in this picture:

I see on end of the clips attached from the router to another end of the clips attached to wires with those wires being attached to the serial interface. Can that serial interface simply be plugged into a serial interface on a PC?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
riahc3 wrote:
barryware wrote:
The voltages don't mean anything. Just don't connect to two (pc @5V and the router @ 3.3V). This voltage supplyed is to power the ttl adapter.

Explain these things:
1: What do you mean "Just dont connect to two"? typo.. S/B don't connect THE two
2: What is the ttl adapter? the gizmo with the db9 connector

Im sorry for being a pest I just dont wanna fuck anything up.

Quote:

http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=11

Im not in the US. can't help

pock wrote:
riahc3,

Personally I wouldn't mess with that micro USB board I used.. I really struggled with soldering something so small.. I would recommend RedHawk's setup.. the pin headers with clips. I ordered a crap load of those pin headers, if u decide to use RedHawk's setup I'd send you some no charge.

Pock

Thanks but like above, Im not in the US.

Quote:

So is this a solderless solution? no, still soldered a header to the router pcb

And my question is that in this picture: don't understand the question

I see on end of the clips attached from the router to another end of the clips attached to wires with those wires being attached to the serial interface. Can that serial interface simply be plugged into a serial interface on a PC? yes.. my rig I use for this (laptop), does not have a serial port so I use a usb serial adapter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
PLEASE do not reply quotes like that. It is VERY annoying.

barryware wrote:
S/B don't connect THE two

You are going to have to explain yourself alot better. What does S/B don't connect THE two mean???

barryware wrote:
the gizmo with the db9 connector

So basically the serial port...Which I have (see pic)

barryware wrote:

no, still soldered a header to the router pcb

I see. So the only thing you soldered is the pin header to the router?

barryware wrote:

yes.. my rig I use for this (laptop), does not have a serial port so I use a usb serial adapter [/b]

But I could have sworn I needed a voltage converter.

Anyhow, I have the serial cable I have attached below. Can I just rip out one end and use it for my need on this?

DSCN0487.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  958.87 KB
 Viewed:  10662 Time(s)

DSCN0487.JPG

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
riahc3 wrote:

Really sorry.. It won't happen again Razz (sarcasm)

barryware wrote:

riahc3 wrote:
You are going to have to explain yourself alot better. What does S/B don't connect THE two mean???

S/B = "Should be".. Again.. Really really sorry (more sarcasm) Razz

barryware wrote:
the gizmo with the db9 connector

riahc3 wrote:
So basically the serial port...Which I have (see pic)

No.. It is a ttl <> serial adapter. the router has a ttl level serial port on it, not an rs232

barryware wrote:

riahc3 wrote:
I see. So the only thing you soldered is the pin header to the router?

I also soldered a header to the ttl adapter. The extra header in the pic was to illustrate it.

barryware wrote:

yes.. my rig I use for this (laptop), does not have a serial port so I use a usb serial adapter

riahc3 wrote:
But I could have sworn I needed a voltage converter.

That would be the ttl<>rs232 converter. It needs power to run. Depending on what it needs (3.3V - 5V) determines where you can get it.

riahc3 wrote:
Anyhow, I have the serial cable I have attached below. Can I just rip out one end and use it for my need on this?

No.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
riahc3 wrote:

Really sorry.. It won't happen again Razz (sarcasm) Barryware. Quit being annoying. If you don't have anything not annoying to say, don't post! If you aren't going to be helpful, then don't be helpful

barryware wrote:

riahc3 wrote:
You are going to have to explain yourself alot better.

Yes. Now go to your room young Barryware and don't come out until you are ready to explain yourself a lot better, young man. It's going to be the pogo stick for you if you don't.

S/B = "Should be".. Again.. Really really sorry (more sarcasm) Razz

And we're sick and tired of your sarcasm. Just wait until your father gets home!

And who was it that posted that massive picture on this post? They are in shit too.

CAPS LOCK?!? I'm pretty sure I saw some CAPS LOCK....

:P

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm just not feeling the love. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

No.. It is a ttl <> serial adapter. the router has a ttl level serial port on it, not an rs232

I see, so I ask in my local electronics store for a ttl with a serial/RS-232/DE-9 output or connector right?

barryware wrote:

How much pins should the pin header have? I presume 9 correct?

barryware wrote:

I also soldered a header to the ttl adapter. The extra header in the pic was to illustrate it.

With also a 9 pin header....and with to this you apply the gator clips....OK following you for now...

barryware wrote:

That would be the ttl<>rs232 converter. It needs power to run. Depending on what it needs (3.3V - 5V) determines where you can get it.

But where in the ttl<>rs232 do I have to apply the voltage converter, if any?

Thank you for all the help.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can no longer help.. I am retiring from this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
I can no longer help.. I am retiring from this thread.

UM ok....I hope someone else can follow up...
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Riahc3. Your persistence on this issue is to be commended, but I think it is obvious to many that you are in the situation of lacking a basic foundational knowledge of what you are trying to do. This is not your fault, but it will require you to do quite a bit of work and research to get you to the point where people can actually assist.

In addition, telling people that their effort and time to assist was annoying you, was probably not a wise practice.

Everything you need, if you are able to attempt this, has been provided...sometimes many times. But the level you are currently at is not the level in which this understanding is sensible to you. Each basic question leads to 25 more even more basic questions, to the point that the questions become scary and it becomes obvious to all that you need to be at a slightly higher level to receive help over the internet.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I think it is important that you understand the reluctance of some to assist. You need to spend a few days researching things like what a header is, and how to attach it, and the many articles and links on working a serial device. When you are at that level, everything that is posted should make sense. But people don't wish to help you wreck things.

You need to put individual effort in to bringing your level of understanding up first.

I just wish you to understand why some are reluctant to move forward on this thread.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
Riahc3. Your persistence on this issue is to be commended, but I think it is obvious to many that you are in the situation of lacking a basic foundational knowledge of what you are trying to do. This is not your fault, but it will require you to do quite a bit of work and research to get you to the point where people can actually assist.

In addition, telling people that their effort and time to assist was annoying you, was probably not a wise practice.

Everything you need, if you are able to attempt this, has been provided...sometimes many times. But the level you are currently at is not the level in which this understanding is sensible to you. Each basic question leads to 25 more even more basic questions, to the point that the questions become scary and it becomes obvious to all that you need to be at a slightly higher level to receive help over the internet.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I think it is important that you understand the reluctance of some to assist. You need to spend a few days researching things like what a header is, and how to attach it, and the many articles and links on working a serial device. When you are at that level, everything that is posted should make sense. But people don't wish to help you wreck things.

You need to put individual effort in to bringing your level of understanding up first.

I just wish you to understand why some are reluctant to move forward on this thread.

I have done a similar project like this using my Xbox and a X3 modchip where I had to use a pin header, solder, connect the correct wires making sure I grounded EVERYTHING else a overvoltage will ocurr, etc. This is not my first electronics project.

My main "doubts" are:

The whole 3.3V/5V issue. Ill restate again: A PC (ocorrding of course to a thread given by a member here) outputs 5V while my router outputs 3.3V. This would cause the router to fry. I understand now that I need a ttl<>rs232 adapter being that one end has about 4 pins which I believe are GND, TX, RX, +5V and another end has a simple rs232 de-9 male/female PC port. I solder a 4 pin header (or whatever; cut off any unneccesary ones) into GND, TX, RX, +5V on the tll end of the tll<>rs232 adapter and attach another pin header into where this site says I should on my router. Now with gator clips I at....

HANDBREAK!

If I do this then attach the rs232 to my PC, I will fry the router. How can I solve this? THATS what I want to know.
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
riahc3,

The whole 3.3V/5V issue is easily solved by using a device that converts it over.. The Micro USB board, and RedHawk's device handles all that.. No worries if you go either my way or his. Though I recommend his.

Pock

To think, after all this time, all our chats together you still don't trust me. There's hope for you yet, doctor.
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
pock wrote:
riahc3,

The whole 3.3V/5V issue is easily solved by using a device that converts it over.. The Micro USB board, and RedHawk's device handles all that.. No worries if you go either my way or his. Though I recommend his.

Pock

Using the explanation Ive posted before your post, what would be a "device" that converts this (The power)?
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
riahc3,

All that information on those devices and where to get them are in my thread, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47987

You can either go the Micro USB way, or RedHawk's clips pins. Both those devices convert the power for you.

Pock

To think, after all this time, all our chats together you still don't trust me. There's hope for you yet, doctor.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: