Asus WL-500W

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. Pock is reporting he is running 11650 with boot wait enabled and has no issues now. 30-30-30 reset on asus routers requires a power cycle after. Should work then.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Sponsor
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
Thanks for the info. Pock is reporting he is running 11650 with boot wait enabled and has no issues now. 30-30-30 reset on asus routers requires a power cycle after. Should work then.

Im reporting it works here too but I havent "toyed around" too much with the settings simply scared out of bricking it again.
lkxnon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
riahc3 wrote:
Donny wrote:

Im reporting it works here too but I havent "toyed around" too much with the settings simply scared out of bricking it again.

Would be good if somedbody has experience with testing mainly USB support and Optware packages running with build mega 11650, if it is working stable or not, because my last try last week caused semi-brick, TTL=100, etc....so I am waiting for another try according new wiki howto Smile
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
lkxnon wrote:
riahc3 wrote:
Donny wrote:

Would be good if somedbody has experience with testing mainly USB support and Optware packages running with build mega 11650, if it is working stable or not, because my last try last week caused semi-brick, TTL=100, etc....so I am waiting for another try according new wiki howto Smile

See the last page of pocks thread...i think he is doing this.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
pock
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
lkxnon,

USB support seems stable.. I have an 8gb and a 1gb USB drive formatted with ext3. 8gb is partitioned for the eventual install of optware. 2gb for pkgs, 512mb swap and the rest partitioned for disk.

Since the install of 11650 I have not ran into any major issues.. only minor issue is the logging feature.. under Security.. I've enabled Logging, and set it to record rejected attempts. It doesn't seem to log any.

Pock

To think, after all this time, all our chats together you still don't trust me. There's hope for you yet, doctor.
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
pock wrote:
lkxnon,

USB support seems stable.. I have an 8gb and a 1gb USB drive formatted with ext3. 8gb is partitioned for the eventual install of optware. 2gb for pkgs, 512mb swap and the rest partitioned for disk.

Since the install of 11650 I have not ran into any major issues.. only minor issue is the logging feature.. under Security.. I've enabled Logging, and set it to record rejected attempts. It doesn't seem to log any.

Pock

Have you more or less touched most if not all settings and see the outcome?

If they dont work for now, fine. We just want to make sure it doesnt cause another brick Smile
Scratchy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
pock wrote:
lkxnon,

Pock

How fast are you transfer speeds to your USB drive?

I get about 1.5MB/sec - 2MB/sec on 11650. I had the same problem on 11296. FTP running on the router is a little faster, but not much.

-Scratchy
Diverge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own 3 WL-500W's. My first one got bricked from SP1 while applying some settings. Had to be pin9 cause it didn't respond to pings.

Since then I've been running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/05/08 ) mega(SVN revision 10776M NEWD Eko). Since that was the stable build at the time of me initially purchasing my WL-500W's. I've never messed with boot wait, and it is still enabled.

From my experience, when ever I flash to a new firmware, I restore to factory defaults first. Then flash. Then do one more restore to factory defaults again. Then I setup the router. Since doing it this way I haven't bricked any of my routers yet. Maybe it's just luck on my part, or maybe part of what I do helps keep if from bricking.

the only issue I have with 10776 is sometimes if I reboot one of my routers (they are running in WDS mode), that sometimes they lose WDS connection to the main router. But another reboot of my main router usually fixes that.

I'd upgrade my firmware to one of the newer builds, but it seems that each build that fixes something brings its own set of issues.. so I'm just waiting for SP2's official release.
meatbiscuit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scratchy wrote:
pock wrote:
lkxnon,

Pock

How fast are you transfer speeds to your USB drive?

I get about 1.5MB/sec - 2MB/sec on 11650. I had the same problem on 11296. FTP running on the router is a little faster, but not much.

-Scratchy

Same problem here. It looks like these units can't seem to transfer much faster than 12-15 Mbits/sec. Anyone know why? It's a USB 2.0 device, 12mb/sec is waaaaay too slow for USB 2.0

I've been posting throughout the forums looking for feedback on this and I haven't gotten much. I'm sure there are plenty of people experiencing these same transfer rates, but they're not posting.
strfr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Diverge wrote:
I own 3 WL-500W's....
...the only issue I have with 10776 is sometimes if I reboot one of my routers (they are running in WDS mode), that sometimes they lose WDS connection to the main router. But another reboot of my main router usually fixes that...

Hi Diverge, your routers are in WDS only or you have some wires connected? I had problems ONLY when some wires (no matter LAN or WAN) were connected and USB and JFFS were on. Thats why I suggest to disable the boot_wait.

Cheers
strfr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
The chip is too slow to run faster USB transfers. The max is about 4MB/s
Scratchy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be interesting to compare the Samba transfer speeds with the Asus firmware. Maybe if I get time later in the week.
meatbiscuit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Scratchy wrote:
It would be interesting to compare the Samba transfer speeds with the Asus firmware. Maybe if I get time later in the week.

That would be a great test, please post your results when you get time. That would at least tell us if it's a software or hardware bound problem. I'm thinking a combination of both. But still, I find it hard to believe that the hardware in these routers can't transfer data faster than 1.5MB/sec. The CPU isn't even working that hard when I'm transferring.
meatbiscuit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, look at hdparm results:

/dev/discs/disc0/disc:
Timing cached reads: 192 MB in 2.02 seconds = 95.05 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 36 MB in 3.06 seconds = 11.76 MB/sec

~12MB/sec for buffered disc reads. This is the time it takes to transfer data from the USB device across the bus (not over wireless). 802.11n = 270mbps, we should definitely be seeing more than 1.5MB/sec.
Diverge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
strfr wrote:
Diverge wrote:
I own 3 WL-500W's....
...the only issue I have with 10776 is sometimes if I reboot one of my routers (they are running in WDS mode), that sometimes they lose WDS connection to the main router. But another reboot of my main router usually fixes that...

Hi Diverge, your routers are in WDS only or you have some wires connected? I had problems ONLY when some wires (no matter LAN or WAN) were connected and USB and JFFS were on. Thats why I suggest to disable the boot_wait.

Cheers

All my routers actually have ethernet cables connected. My main router, WDS main, has a cable modem connect to it, a ReadyNAS nas, and a verizon network extender (mini cell phone tower).

the other 2 only have WDS setup to the main router, and not to each other. one has a desktop pc, and a wired printer connected (this router is setup as a print server with jffs partition). the other has a ps3 and a slingbox connected.

My only wireless devices are a wireless printer in another room upstairs, and my laptops.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 12
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: