HOWTO: REPEATER MODE in atheros

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
m00nman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope. No go even with svn15362

Thoguht in WDS Station mode router associates with AP and computer gets an IP, but can't access internet and router locks up in 2 min. :(

My broadcom wrt54g v8 saves me, but it's not Wireless N :(

Oh well... will wait for another build.

Nethear R6300 v2 - Latest Kong dd-wrt always
Linksys E3000 - Latest dd-wrt always
Asus RT-N56U - OpenWRT trunk
Sponsor
Silentknyght
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 13:51    Post subject: Re: howto: REPEATER MODE in atheros Reply with quote
mrkek wrote:
aruffell wrote:

Do I really need to use a VAP if I have 2 simultaneous dual band routers such as the WNDR3700 and the DIR825? Before I upgraded the DIR825 I was running a CLIENT BRIDGE connection on the 5GHz band and running both 2.4GHz radios as APs. After the upgrade it stopped working... none of the instructions that I could find talk about dual band routers... can someone update them?

EDIT: I tried to setup WDS AP / WDS STATION on the 5GHz radios and 10 seconds later my network was back up and running. I guess this also means I am not slowing down the network for the other wireless clients as they can hook up to any of my other 2 2.4GHz APs (house is on multiple floors and being in Silicon Valley there is a jungle of wireless networks, thus lots of interference).

If you are just trying to use the 2.4Gz as the AP, and the 5Ghz as the repeater, it will work fine, as the guide assumes only one band. You can assume the second band to be the VAP, but just configure it as per normal, you don't need to add another virtual device (you can if you want a 3rd one in this case).

I just wanted to confirm what I think you're saying here:

I have two WNDR3700s. I want to have one as the base station, and one as the repeater. I only want to repeat the 2.4ghz signal. If I set up the 5ghz radio as "WDS Station" and the 2.4ghz radio as "WDS AP", this will work? Without any VAPs?

Will I still be sacrificing half of the repeater's bandwidth?

Do I need to set up my base station as "WDS AP" for both radios, too?
phongdt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All,

I currently have one Belkin AP to act as my primary AP and recently purchased a Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N and intend to use as a repeater for my home network.

However, I have follow exactly the instruction in this topic but still can not make it work. Any idea or comment here? Really appreciate your help.

Primary AP: Belkin A/B/G
IP: 192.168.1.1
Security: WPA Personal, TKIP

Secondary: Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N
Firmware; DD-WRT (Pro firmware).

Thank you
gopalmm2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46    Post subject: Help would be appreciated Reply with quote
Could someone recommend what build to use on the WRT160NL? I'm trying to set it up as a repeater bridge as well, but the client is not connecting. The router sees the AP, but it doesn't seem to want to connect to it. I tried the latest build that came out around christmas and several other builds. I have no problems using using my broadcom router wrt54g2v1 to connect to the same AP and work as a repeater bridge. But that router has a 54mbps and the transfer rate is abysmal. I'd like to get my wrt160NL and would appreciate any input on this.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I seem to be having the exact same problem as m00nman mentioned in the above posts. My PC gets and IP, but no internet. Under the status page I can see the signal of the AP is shown as well.
qunleajayi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:04    Post subject: Re: howto: REPEATER MODE in atheros Reply with quote
Quote:
we're here on atheros not broadcom. so there is noch repeater in the drop down! u will have to be a bit more creative. u will have to add a vap and set it up as ap while u connect the main interface to the source ap as clientbetter explained:.

Hi, please I have a TP link TL741N router and I want to bridge or repeat or WDS. All I want is to extend the internet (broadband on 192.168.1.1) thru the router and bridge (repeat) to another wing of the same building with the AP.. Can anybody help?
rgarcia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
@gopalmm2: I configured my WRT160NL as Client Bridge this is working now.
Check this tutorial: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39507
moll47u
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 19:39    Post subject: Re: howto: REPEATER MODE in atheros Reply with quote
qunleajayi wrote:
Hi, please I have a TP link TL741N router and I want to bridge or repeat or WDS. All I want is to extend the internet (broadband on 192.168.1.1) thru the router and bridge (repeat) to another wing of the same building with the AP.. Can anybody help?

Two ways:
1. return to stock software and use WDS - working very good between TP-LINK devices
2. Install gargoyle software instead DD-WRT
pgotze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:18    Post subject: Re: howto: REPEATER MODE in atheros Reply with quote
qunleajayi wrote:
Quote:
we're here on atheros not broadcom. so there is noch repeater in the drop down! u will have to be a bit more creative. u will have to add a vap and set it up as ap while u connect the main interface to the source ap as clientbetter explained:.

Well i use WDS between E3000 DD-WRT and TP-LINK stock firmware and there is no problem. Just simple WDS configuration.

1 x Linksys E3000 DD-WRT build 25628 NEWD-2 K3.x mega
routerCzar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only way i got it to work on my TP-Link wr841nd v5 was using gargoyle
tutejszy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
routerCzar wrote:
The only way i got it to work on my TP-Link wr841nd v5 was using gargoyle

So what speeds did you achive? at what wifi parameters?
And, can somebody clarify use of gargyole on wr841n v7? I failed on that. Is it possible?
d3spis3m3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chris
Quote:
Hi,

to build a reapeater, you have to create a client (or wds-station) and then add another VAP with a new AP.

The new VAP does not have to have the same ssid or encryption settings, but it CAN have the same values.

The new VAP is only available, if the client interface is logged into the other (to be repeated) ap.

If you are used to Broadcom based firmwares, that's a difference.

*If this wasn't already said or just as a reminder*

Make sure the LAN IP (router) and the WAN IP (Primary router) are on seperate subnets. eg. 192.168.1.x (primary router) and 192.168.2.x (bridged router) respectively[/b]
KiddiKai
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm failing at setting up a repeater bridge between my DD-WRT powered TP-Link 1043ND (r14473) and an AVM FRITZ!Box 7270.

Here is what I do: I reset the 1043ND to factory defaults, change the Local IP Adress (Setup - Basic Setup) to 192.168.178.2 since the FRITZ!Box is located at 192.168.178.1, set Client Bridge as Wireless Mode (Wireless - Basic Settings), enter the same SSID there and the same Security Mode and Key at Wireless Security. Still, the unit does not seem to connect to the AP at all.

Any hints?

Edit:
I also tried this with the two routers being in different subnets without luck. The Power Cycling recommended on the wiki didn't succeed either. I guess this...

Quote:
You can confirm that the repeater has syncronized with the AP by going to the Status>Wireless tab on the AP and viewing the MAC address of the repeater with some % signal quality value. Before doing 2 power cycles on the repeater, the MAC address would display on the AP's Status>Wireless tab, but with 0% signal quality

...refers to anything listed in the Wireless Nodes section? It says "None" there.
riahc3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone link to a good and clean guide? Smile

All the information here is "loose" and not structured together. A simple guide to connect DD-WRT Atheros-to/from-Broadcom and Atheros-to/from-Atheros would be nice.
pedralli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 20:03    Post subject: need help Reply with quote
Hey brothers!

I have one EOC-2610 in AP mode. I want to expand it's signal with one TL-WR941ND (atheros radio).

The TL-WR941ND was set as Client Bridge (routed) as the follow:

image uploading

image host

It work fine, BUT when I add a Virtual Interface to host news connections like this...

hosting images

...the radio isn't broadcasting the Virtual SSID, and I can't ping the EOC-2610, even though the Wireless's status showing the TL-WR941ND connected to the EOC-2610.

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/21/10) std
BUILD 15778
Router Model TP-Link TL-WR941ND v2/v3

I need help.

Tanks a lot!
D34thbr1ng3r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
My main router E4200 is 192.168.0.1

for my repeater (buffalo)192.168.2.1

I set a 2.4ghz as a client, a VAP as a AP

but how can I connect the client to the main router? I just don't know why...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: