WRT54G-RG "fido uno voip router" have no clue how

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
JOMOFO
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 15
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:41    Post subject: WRT54G-RG "fido uno voip router" have no clue how Reply with quote
hi i am very interested in range boosting and other features i have seen but i do not know where to start with this odd router from fido, i have seen someone say they put the files for the wrt54gs v2 on my type of router and says it is the same but i am still lost cant figure out how to back up my router before i do anything and then what?
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 13049
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Re: WRT54G-RG "fido uno voip router" have no clue Reply with quote
JOMOFO wrote:
hi i am very interested in range boosting and other features i have seen but i do not know where to start with this odd router from fido, i have seen someone say they put the files for the wrt54gs v2 on my type of router and says it is the same but i am still lost cant figure out how to back up my router before i do anything and then what?


A non-jtag port of dd-wrt for the RG was developed a few weeks ago. At this time, there is no revert back to the stock RG firmware. Once dd-wrt is on the router I see no reason to go back to the stock firmware.

The device is identical to a wrt54gs V3 or a wrt54g-tm but either way, you will still need to run the RG install routine.

To backup your router 1st, I would suggest using jtag if you feel the need to go back to stock firmware would be necessary.

If you decide to install dd-wrt, it is very important to WAIT while the cfe updater does it's magic. Routers with big ram and flash, take a while.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G-RG

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
JOMOFO
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 15
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok thank you for the info and i only wish to have stock backup incase my fido uno voip wont work because the router has a secure button that lets the network save into device with password when pushed not that big of deal aslong as the voip service still works and it does on any normal router so it would on any firmware. and i was not sure what file type i should use keeping all this in mind plus no one wants a brick. i will more than likely go ahead and patch my router and i need to figure out what my questions are going to be after i read somemore.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 13049
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
JOMOFO wrote:
ok thank you for the info and i only wish to have stock backup incase my fido uno voip wont work because the router has a secure button that lets the network save into device with password when pushed not that big of deal aslong as the voip service still works and it does on any normal router so it would on any firmware. and i was not sure what file type i should use keeping all this in mind plus no one wants a brick. i will more than likely go ahead and patch my router and i need to figure out what my questions are going to be after i read somemore.


The ses button does different things in dd-wrt and can be programmed to do additional tasks through scripts. However tmk, it does not function the same way as under oem firmware. There are voip builds of dd-wrt but I don't use voip so I can not comment. However with the 8mb flash that router has, it will run any broadcom build available including mega. Stay away from the v26 kernel builds and the newd-2 wireless drivers.

While you are doing your research & homework, order a jtag cable or build one yourself. They are easy to build and very inexpensive to buy. Before you get going, backup your oem cfe, then you can always flash it back. Another thing that came from the non-jtag port was a tftp flashable oem kernel. There was never an oem firmware available except for a whole flash which takes hours via jtag.

You can flash back your oem cfe in under 10 minutes, the tftp the kernel in a few seconds. Then you are back to stock.

Good luck.. Do your homework & research.

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
JOMOFO
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 15
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok my friend has a parallel port jtag cable is that what i need? and u mean i can flash back in ten min. to oem cfe but i must back up with the jtag first? and what program would be used to back up with jtag? also how whould i find out where to hook up jtag to my router?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 13049
Location: Behind The Reset Button

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
JOMOFO wrote:
ok my friend has a parallel port jtag cable is that what i need? and u mean i can flash back in ten min. to oem cfe but i must back up with the jtag first? and what program would be used to back up with jtag? also how whould i find out where to hook up jtag to my router?


There is a whole thread stickied on jtag in the general discussions broadcom forum.. In that thread, there are links to the software.

In the broadcom forum, there are many, many jtag discussions and threads. You'll be ok.. don't be scared.

The RG (tm, V3) is very jtag friendly.

_________________
[Moderator Deleted] Shocked
JOMOFO
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 15
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
well i am still lost i can not find what my jtag cable should be made like can only find a pin out for the router, not sure if the cable i do have will work and can not find the program for it ethier. how is jtag to be made?

i may just skip backing it up because it is so difficult i was only trying to be safe for the voip thing but i know it will work on any router not just this fido uno voip router
i tried before i asked Sad
also i have almost bricked the router i first tried to flash the file for wrt54gs v2 to my unit and when i tested the linksys webgui said image one broken click ok to use image two from now on. so is their a command to get me back on image one before i flash again or the firmware upgrade from linksys could overwrite both but linksys does not even list this model as their own so i am unable to find a download from linksys or fido for that matter
also i understand that image one and two could just be a linksys thing and may not matter when flashed with dd-wrt but i do not know because it did erase one to try and put the dd wrt firmware that failed on image one and than failed and reverted to image two
so as u know i almost bricked it once and now i am lost
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum