NS2 WDS

stevezemlicka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 20:25    Post subject: NS2 WDS Reply with quote
I have a base router (WRT300 v1.1) with v24 sp1 and two NS2 devices with stock firmware.

I can setup an unsecured wds just fine but as soon as i enable security, it doesn't work. I've tried pretty much every single combination of WPA on both the NS2s and the WRT300 but it doesn't work (not interested in using it with wep). As soon as I set the security to disabled on the WRT300 and none on the NS2, it works.

With the security enabled, the WRT300 shows the NS2s as clients and the NS2s show a link but no communication.

First question is if it is possible to get this to work with the NS2 stock firmware.

If not, if I buy dd-wrt for the NS2s would that work? And if so, would it be better just to set it up in repeater mode?
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 23:51    Post subject: Re: NS2 WDS Reply with quote
stevezemlicka wrote:
I have a base router (WRT300 v1.1) with v24 sp1 and two NS2 devices with stock firmware.

I can setup an unsecured wds just fine but as soon as i enable security, it doesn't work. I've tried pretty much every single combination of WPA on both the NS2s and the WRT300 but it doesn't work (not interested in using it with wep). As soon as I set the security to disabled on the WRT300 and none on the NS2, it works.

With the security enabled, the WRT300 shows the NS2s as clients and the NS2s show a link but no communication.

First question is if it is possible to get this to work with the NS2 stock firmware.
no
Quote:

If not, if I buy dd-wrt for the NS2s would that work?
no, wiki: wds
Quote:
And if so, would it be better just to set it up in repeater mode?
which device?...network setup?
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, what prevents this from working with the security enabled? Additionally, what would prevent it from working if using dd-wrt?

I got these devices because I live in Wisconsin and the temp gets pretty low. It's not cost/time effective for me to build or mod my own solution because i rarely need this solution. I basically want to distribute internet across a small property without running cable. External antennas won't work because this particular client needs this to go around a silo. I was going to use this and point one device so it can see both the others, thereby distributing the network connection. So I want an outdoor device with POE in the $100 price range. Any suggestions? Distance between APs is about 100 meters.

This is really frustrating because it works perfectly without security. I would really like to know what causes this not to work. I thought the security protocols were pretty standardized.
stevezemlicka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17    Post subject: Re: NS2 WDS Reply with quote
If not, if I buy dd-wrt for the NS2s would that work?[/quote]no, wiki: wds
[quote]

AFAICT it shouldn't work at all based on that wiki so already I am outside the scope of the wiki.

Thanks for the prompt response. I love dd-wrt and this community. I really appreciate your help.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can connect ns2 devices with wds together with dd-wrt for sure. this works with mac address based wds or WDS AP -> WDS STA (i like the wds ap variant more since it does support encryption)

but both ways are not compatible with broadcom based devices. however. you can use all atheros based chipset devices with dd-wrt with these units. they all support the same wds modes

Navigation

Jump to: