Please help get my WRT54GS v6 back to Linksys firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
g0dFather
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:26    Post subject: Please help get my WRT54GS v6 back to Linksys firmware Reply with quote
I'm a torrent user who purchased a WRT54GS v6 router some months ago. I replaced my bad v3 not realizing that the newer ones have been castrated. When I run torrents, it's like the DNS portion of my internet disappears! Instant Messengers still work, but web surfing is gone. Also, accessing RDP, VNC, FTP, etc from the outside are all gone. When I stop the torrents, the connection eventually comes back over the time as the router dumps it's memory.

I took a chance and flashed it with the DD-WRT micro generic v23 SP2 firmware based on instructions posted here. It warns you in the beginning that the process is currently irreversible on the GS but I've heard good things about DD-WRT. Sadly, now the router craps out after 30 minutes just of web surfing! It's useless. The man who posted the instructions on that site said the following:

"WARNING: At the moment for WRT54GS units this is a one way operation, no reversion back to VxWorks is available. Since DD-WRT is profiting from this project, I believe it is their responsbility to create a reversion firmware for the GS unit. It is an easy chore, I already created the framework in the G reversion firmware (and spent much time making it usable, i.e. in writing utilities like bsptool and easy scripts). Also, I fixed bugs in OpenWrt for him. So, it should be a no brainer. I may get around to it myself eventually, but I've been burnt out after spending so much time on this technology."

I'm not blaming the gang at DD-WRT for my woes, but I am asking if they would please start support for the GS v6 or least write the code to reverse the process. I've already given up on this router and ordered a NetGear WNR854T to replace it but would like to sell it to someone who doesn't use torrent. Currently it's not a brick but may as well be with the way it's acting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Smile
Sponsor
d00zah
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try this 1st:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Router_Slowdown

Linux 6.1.86 #130 SMP Wed Apr 17 05:48:30 +07 2024 armv7l
Updated from: DD-WRT v3.0-55779 std (04/12/24) via GUI (FF), NO reset
Gateway: SmartDNS, DDNS (FreeDNS), IPv4 DHCP, Static leases, SFE Disabled, QoS Disabled
AP: 2.4GHz NG-Mixed 40MHz, 5GHz AC/N-Mixed 80MHz, WPA2 w/ AES, MAC filtering, Isolated Guest VAP on wlan1, Vanilla FW
Services: USB Storage, NAS, Samba
Storage: Samsung Portable SSD T7 Shield USB 3.2 2TB, /jffs, /opt, /data (ext4)
moreins
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
if u definetely want to rollback the router firmware, go here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13274

i believe the steps are here
http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE#h15

cheers
g0dFather
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:28    Post subject: YOU DID IT! Reply with quote
Thanks so much to both of you for three reasons:

1. For coming to the aid of my problem. The Router Slowdown info was exactly what I needed. The router is running like a gem now with v24 beta micro 6/20/07 firmware. Thank you d00zah.

2. For answering my actual question. Now I know that if the NetGear WNR854T proves to be better than this Linksys when it arrives, I can restore the original Linksys firmware and sell it (although I'm pretty impressed with it now). Thank you moreins.

3. For treating me like a human being. I was expecting useless, crappy responses. I really did try searching the forums before posting but came up empty. I must not have been typing in the right keywords.

I also stumbled on this page which offers optimal settings for uTorrent users --> http://triponic.com/guidestutorials/optimal-utorrent-settings/

Again, many thanks to you! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: