Boot router from usb flash drive

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
prdufresne
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any suggestions?
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, new development.

I had been doing all my testing with the Wireless interface disabled, but I decided to enable the wireless interface to test something else in micro, and decided it was worth trying the wireless interface when booting mini from the SD card.

It seems that when I boot mini, it fails to connect with the built in Ethernet switch. while both the LAN and WAN LEDs turn on and flash with traffic, I don't get any response from the router from them.

Any suggestions as to why mini wouldn't be able to use the Ethernet switch?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not convinced anyone else is still following this thread, but for the sake of documentation, I'll keep posting where I am.

I have successfully booted micro from the SD slot, which is a bit of a hollow victory since I don't really gain anything.

I have, however, confirmed that when I boot mini from the MMC slot, the wireless works and I can access the full GUI. It just seems to be the switch (therefore LAN and WAN) that are still inaccessible.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a driver missing from the mini build that is included in the micro, but I can't find anything.

Once I figure this all out, and I know I'm close, I'll create a wiki page on how to de-neuter your router.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've further modified my init script to use an nvram variable to determine whether to boot from flash or mmc. This allows me to easily switch between the two without having to pull the SD card.

quite simply, if mmc_boot = 1 it tries to boot from the SD card, otherwise it continues to boot from flash while allowing me to access the SD card as storage space.

Still no luck getting VLANs to work, but am hoping to get a boot log that will hopefully show me where the boot error is.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:36    Post subject: My mod Reply with quote
Based on lightix post, I modified my WL520GC. Mega boots fine, just dont touch the USB section on the settings webpage.
I would attach a heatsink to the CPU, but I'm all out of thermal compound - I only have the "Coollaboratory
Liquid Pro" which I dont dare to apply.

sebviel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
prdufresne wrote:
I've further modified my init script to use an nvram variable to determine whether to boot from flash or mmc. This allows me to easily switch between the two without having to pull the SD card.

quite simply, if mmc_boot = 1 it tries to boot from the SD card, otherwise it continues to boot from flash while allowing me to access the SD card as storage space.

Still no luck getting VLANs to work, but am hoping to get a boot log that will hopefully show me where the boot error is.

I've got the same issue with my v5. I have a 4gb SD on it, no USB and updated RAM to 16mb but can not reach the router. I was thinking that the lan params could have change with the default 192.168. sub but seems not. PR, I'm very interested if you have a solution... you can MP me in french also...

Seb
arkleseizure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 22:19    Post subject: adding usb to the belkin 7231b 7231-4 v2001 Reply with quote
I have had partial success adding usb to the bcm5352 based belkin 7231b. This model needs the sercom utility to upgrade firmware (the trick being to release the reset button very soon after inserting the power cable). Pulldowns R32 and R31 (4.7k, close to the cpu chip on the side near the linear regulator/sdram chip)need to be removed , and fine wires attached to the pads nearest the cpu, take these wires to 15k pull down resistors soldered to the groundplane. These are the usb signal wires for port 1.

Use a cheap-but genuine 2amp 5v psu as supplied for 7 inch tablets for power, the existing power supply is marked as 4.5v but supplies 7.5v - wasting power in the linear regulator in the router and cooking both electrolytic capacitors (which will probably need replacing as the tops will be bulged). The router needs a chunky supply, a normal usb charger 500ma unit will not work.

Use the new 5v power for the usb device power. Use the firmware mod kit to extract the 7231b sercomm firmware, and add the usbcore.o etc files to the file system as described earlier in this thread. Edit the preint script in the etc subdirectory as autobot did in his firmware micro-newd-12774_Eko-usb_print_autoap.zip. You may want to substitute the autobot busybox directory in this version for the skeletal original. Erase the pppd file as described in this thread.

You may want to replace the sdram chip with a 32mbyte part, however with belkin's cfe only 16mb will be available. There are a lot of tiny 0402 components close to were you are soldering that are easy to desolder when messing around. I find that covering everything but the components I want to solder/desolder with sticky backed aluminium foil tape (sold for car repairs etc) protects things from harm.

Build the firmware and download with the sercomm update utility. You should now be able to mount a usb thumb drive... but I can't get pivot_root to work. It complains 'can't resolve symbol pivot root'. Any ideas?, I am no linux guru, just a recipe follower.
webdevii
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 13:11    Post subject: Router USB Port as Bootable Reply with quote
I have an ASUS AC66u and Netgear R6300v2, I want to know if there is any way I could leave a USB Thumb drive plugged in that has the Windows 7 Install image on it bootable of course, and in the event I have a customers machine to load Windows 7 on I could do a PXE boot and launch the bootable USB Flash Drive and begin the Windows 7 Installation.

Any Ideas.

And yes just to reconfirm.
Router #1 = ASUS AC66u with DD-WRT
Router #2 = Netgear R6300 v2.0 with DD-WRT
Router #3 = Netgear R6300 v2.0 with Netgear OEM FW

Thank You very much in Advance
Regards
Dev
somo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
just bumping this very interesting topic for later reading.
-WRT54GS V3 w/64MB RAM & SDCard Mods v24-sp2 Build:15962 + OTRW2
oakieville
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would this mod be possible for wrt54gs v1.5 atheros .
another question I am able to decompile dd-wrt with the firmware mod kit but when I rebuild it it bricks my router even if no changes are made? Any advice pls
Mihaispatariu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:49    Post subject: New(er) dd-wrt version Reply with quote
Hello all,
I know this is a very old tread, but maybe someone still uses it.
I also have mega still running on wl520gc with usb mod, but would like to run maybe a newer mega build...
How would one accomplish this?
Also, could we mod some settings so the usb functions could be managed more easy from web interface?

Regards... [/quote]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 Display posts from previous:    Page 17 of 17
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: