Asterisk Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
MrAlvin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
currently dont know anything about asterisk on dd-wrt, other than module asterisk.o is in mega builds, and command asterisk does give some result.

maybe you should see the following page for more info: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Linksys+WRT54G
Notice links to openwrt. and link to web-gui for dd-wrt at SeeAlso section.
Sponsor
teddy_bear
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asterisk is included in some mega builds (not sure if it's in all of them) - but probably a bit outdated anyway by now as the sources in svn have not been updated for 8 months.

So even if you have 8MB flash and no USB for external storage, I still would recommend to install standard or mini dd-wrt build, enable jffs, mount it to /opt, install Optware (see Wiki on Optware installation), and install Optware Asterisk package - there're both - 1.4.22 and 1.6.0.1. Optware Asterisk packages are more updated than ipkg packages.

I have only 4MB flash on my Asus, so I'm running the optware Asterisk 1.4.22 from 1GB USB stick. The installation and configuration are pretty straightforward, once you have ipkg-opt up and running, just install the package you choose, and configure your startup/mount scripts to run Asterisk on startup - nothing tricky.

If however you only have 4 MB router with no USB for external storage then OpenWRT is your only choice. I was able to compile the custom OpenWRT build with all the routing functionality I need and the mini Asterisk package to fit in 4MB flash - although I had to restrict everything to the bare minimum.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
ipguy wrote:
does the optware * include the webgui?

Yes, it's a separate package. I did not try to install it though...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
ipguy wrote:
do you actually use * on your router?
if so, can i get some feedback.

Yes, I run it on my WL-520gu from USB stick. What kind of feedback do you want Wink?

After resolving my initial * configuration problems (but that was only because I'm new to *, and it would be the same no matter what platform I installed it on) I really have no issues. I only use basic * features though - PBX for integrating multiple SIP accounts, 1 or 2 local clients (ATAs), and music-on-hold. For voicemail, I redirect unanswered calls to my Voxalot account. I think the router is not powerful enough platform for audio recording and TTS IVRs - but you may try if you wish...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
teddy_bear wrote:
After resolving my initial * configuration problems (but that was only because I'm new to *, and it would be the same no matter what platform I installed it on) I really have no issues.

Could you elaborate on that? Maybe by posting the configs (with faked personal data of course). I'm on the verge of installing it there. Maybe siproxd can do all I want to do with it. Did you examine that package?

I have a Pirelli with WiFi and want it to make transparent using a subdomain that points to my router's LAN-address when I'm @ home and to my WAN-address anywhere else (got that covered already). I have an account with a SIP to TELCO provider and want to use that anywhere....

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
teddy_bear
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
ipguy wrote:
1. how fully featured is * on dd-wrt via optware ?
2. any noticeable issues with load on the router when making calls ?
3. have you tried voicemail to email and decided to not use the feature ? how did the recordings sound ?
4. anything else you can think of.

1. The optware * package (plus a few additional packages with sounds, moh and GUI) is complete * installation - you can configure what modules to load, but all will be available after install.
2. No load issues - but I have not tried it with more that 4 simultaneous calls. Also all my calls are setup as Packet2Packet bridging, so I didn't test what the load would be if * needs to do any audio transcoding. With 4 calls in Packet2Packet bridging mode there's no noticeable CPU load increase.
3. No, I have not tried it, as I decided from the beginning to use external VM account to not put an extra load on the router. I however tried to play some large sound files with speech, and the audio was choppy sometimes. No issues with music-on-hold though.
4. Not really. My main problem was no * knowledge when I installed it, but reading the "Asterisk - the future of Telephony" book (freely available in pdf format) helped a lot Smile. I was also trying to get Native bridging on all calls - but that was not really necessary. I finally realized that Packet2Packet is good enough and doesn't do any transcoding either, so none of my around-NAT tricks were needed (and they did not always work anyway). I guess if you already have any experience with *, you should have no issues installing it on the router.

As for Voxalot - why not Wink? I found it more reliable than PennyTel for example. I was using Callcentric for VM for a while, but Callcentric doesn't include the Caller ID Name into the VM email notifications, so I switched to Voxalot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ipguy wrote:
not sure i understand

http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/help/what-packet2packet-bridging-exactly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ipguy wrote:
teddy_bear wrote:
ipguy wrote:
does the optware * include the webgui?

Yes, it's a separate package. I did not try to install it though...

do you actually use * on your router ?
if so, can i get some feedback.

It works very well on Asus WL-500G Premium too:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=282858#282858

Currently using it with a Linksys SPA-3000 ATA, and a couple of VoIP providers to automatically select the best rate.
Bird333
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any reason you didn't use Asterisk 1.6?
robertut
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bird333 wrote:
Any reason you didn't use Asterisk 1.6?
I wanted to use Asterisk-GUI, the original one from Digium, which is also available under Optware - but I didn't manage it (yet) to run. Afaik there's no Asterisk-GUI package for 1.6 under optware.
In addition, I've been using v1.2 'till now on a different platform, I'd rather gather some experience with v1.4 too.
bgeery
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
You guys must be major experts to be able to figure out installing *. I managed to use HDsamba2 to get the NAS working, and then Transmission was easy enough with the help of the wiki, but Asterisk is way beyond the vast majority to install without some real instructions.

Maybe some of you guys that managed to get things working would work together on a good wiki page for it? Especially for those of us that have used HDsamba2.
robertut
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can say that I'm absolutely no expert at all. I just followed the wiki entries step by step: You really have to follow the steps described in the wiki for installing OptWare. By the middle of the description you don't install the samples inthere, but with the same commands, you install Asterisk. That's all.
Take a look at my link (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=282858#282858). The small GUI's installation is optional, but is pretty well documented also on that site.
bgeery
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guess what, you are an expert. Razz You're a better man than I. I wasted a week, and 18 system reinstalls trying to make it happen. There is nothing even close to clear instructions anywhere (see the HDsamba2 page for example of clear instructions). I have already attempted using the instructions you used, and they are as clear as mud.

Whatever, I guess I'm happy with just samba and transmission. One day, we will actually have an * install page on the wiki.
robertut
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, thank you. I guess I was lucky then.
I am used to make WiKi pages, on the topics that I think I really am an expert. Expert people here on the forum are more entitled than I am to make this.
Maybe Asterisk is less popular than samba, an this is why a real expert never made a specific installation guide for it.
To be honest, I'd also love to see one, because as I said, maybe I was just lucky.
trax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also in need of a Asterisk installation guide...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 29
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: