[SOLVED] JTAG Question about which device I should get

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
emunity
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:16    Post subject: [SOLVED] JTAG Question about which device I should get Reply with quote
I do have a Bus Pirate v3.5 as I write but I see two other pieces of hardware that I could purchase but one of them may be better to purchase since the program is targeted specifically for that piece of hardware and routers which is number 2 below.

I don't know if Tornado's JTAG program will work with the Bus Pirate, Bus Blaster or TIAO, but I do know it works with Arduino which is something I am not interested in right now.

I want to stick to a board that I can connect to my PC via USB so that limits a lot of the hardware out there.

1) Bus Pirate/Bus Blaster

I have the pirate but not bus blaster. I don't know if I could get Tornado's program to work with Bus Pirate or if I need to get the Bus Blaster as well to get it to work?

I also don't know if the programs such as zJTAG and XC3SPROG will work on Bus Pirate or Bus Blaster.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus-blaster-v2-jtag-debugger-p-807.html

2) TIAO USB Multi-Protocol Adapter (JTAG, SPI, I2C, Serial)

http://www.diygadget.com/tiao-usb-multi-protocol-adapter-jtag-spi-i2c-serial.html

This piece of hardware seems to have more programs that work with it and not just JTAG, although the Bus Pirate also supports other protocols as well such as I2C etc.

Thanks

EDITED FEW MINUTES LATER:

It seems that the TIAO is very versatile and even the the Bus blaster and TIAO have the same FDTI chip, it seems the TIAO has two multi-protocol synchronous engines and just seems to spec out overall better. Cost wise not much more than the Bus Blaster and comes with all the accessories which I don't think the Bus Blaster does?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by emunity on Tue Jan 10, 2012 22:41; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both of these adapters are good but the TIAO adapter (both their wiggler and their USB adapter) was designed with help of Tornado with tjtag support in mind.
TIAO did some own software development based on tjag and include their own xjtag software with the adapter.
I know that Tornado is working on USB support for tjtag but can't say if it is included in his latest version but I think it is.

Contact Tornado, either by PM here or on www.tjtag.com, the tjtag software is no longer freeware but supportware so you'll have to donate $5 in order to get a copy.

Navigation

Jump to: