If there's a "hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds" solution *while the kernel is loaded*, that's news to me.
Eko, can you confirm that the "hold button for 30 seconds while unit is running" method does something other than simply reboot the unit? I imagine the reason it works is because holding down the button while the kernel is loaded results in a unit reset, then since the user is holding the button still, CFE/PMON sees this and does what I described above...
Yes, the resetbuttond checks the button, if short pressed -> reboot, if pressed more than 3 s (Yes 3s !, not 30), then erase nvram and reboot.
30 is only for people counting seconds very very fast.
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:51 Post subject: v23 SP2 upgrade problem
I also encountered this problem in upgrading a WRT54Gv6 router to DD-WRT v23 SP2 from SP1. Bridging to a separate access point as well as Internet access worked fine after the upgrade, but I could not access the router's web UI. I tried various suggestions made in earlier postings from the DD-WRT forum, but was not able to either telnet or ssh into the router, which reduced my options. In the end, a 30-second reset followed by manual reconfiguration of all the settings did the trick.
One detail I discovered is that following the reset, I could view the DD-WRT UI via Firefox but could not save any changes to the settings. I had to switch to Internet Explorer in order to reconfigure them.
Thanks to earlier posters on this forum who saved me days of time and stress dealing with headaches like this!
Guys, I'm having the same problem and about to go nuts. I've bought a brand new WRT54GL, and flashed version 23 SP2 mini. I can't access the web admin. People here are talking about SSHing to the thing, but I can't. I'm using Putty to address 188.8.131.52 over port 22 and it says connection refused. Could anyone give me a hint of how to solve this? Thanks a lot
PS: I'm sorry guys. I'mve missed the part about the reset, I was trying to SSH. After reseting it works. I apologize for not having read the whole thing
I ran into this EXACT same problem. httpd crashed right after delivering the head tag, and telnet was the only way I could get into the router. Upon checking the "language" setting, mine was also set to "EN", and setting it to "english" fixed it.
This is a pretty serious bug, and I think it warrants spinning a new release of SP2 that properly changes the language setting after an upgrade. Even if the instructions are to restore to factory defaults after an upgrade (which is a huge annoyance when you have a lot of customized settings), if a user neglects to do this, their router is effectively bricked if they don't know how to use a linux console. They can't even log into the web ui to restore factory settings after the upgrade.