Interesting new firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
kkgo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, no not really.

Sveasoft deletes posts to silence critics. My post was more about this being off-topic.
Sponsor
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having trouble with my garage door opener -- it opens OK, but a lot of times it won't close -- seems like the sensor gets confused.

This seems to be a good place to post questions about it, even though it's not running DD-WRT on broadcom based hardware.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Matthiaz wrote:
Besides, in the current state this Tomato thing is not even close to be compared with ddwrt.

Are you joking or never tried Tomato? I used DD-WRT for about 6 months and now use Tomato - it's much much better when it comes to stability and QoS. It lacks some not so popular features but all mainstream things work really fine.
BigL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Marek wrote:

Quote:
When do these scripts become available within DD-WRT because there are so many QoS troubles lately.

Probably never because it is designed for OpenWrt only. In dd-wrt there is problem with read-only file system so you just can't install it as is.

Why never? Try this little tool which can create advanced QoS scripts. It's really nice and easy to use - it's GUI based wizard. http://openlinksys.info/firmware/przydatne/generator.zip
mazilo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kkgo wrote:
I think the mods should lock this topic. They've been nice and tolerant, but this is a forum to support the DD-WRT firmware after all. Linksysinfo is an excellent place to discuss other firmwares instead.

Outch ..., doing so will just hamper the free speech and competition. DDWRT is a very excellent product and is getting better and better everyday.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
u3gyxap wrote:
You are right.
Let's not write on this topic in here, LinkSysInfo.org is a better idea.

Here is what Toxic had to say.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
mazilo wrote:
u3gyxap wrote:
You are right.
Let's not write on this topic in here, LinkSysInfo.org is a better idea.

Here is what Toxic had to say.

I know, I have read it awhile ago.
u3gyxap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigL wrote:
Marek wrote:

Quote:
When do these scripts become available within DD-WRT because there are so many QoS troubles lately.

Probably never because it is designed for OpenWrt only. In dd-wrt there is problem with read-only file system so you just can't install it as is.

Why never? Try this little tool which can create advanced QoS scripts. It's really nice and easy to use - it's GUI based wizard. http://openlinksys.info/firmware/przydatne/generator.zip

I would guess it's becouse most of the horsepower is pointed to porting DD-WRT to other platforms and to getting v24 into beta stage.
And becouse DD-WRT with the more advanced QoS, configurable via the GUI is available, but only for sale.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
u3gyxap wrote:
And becouse DD-WRT with the more advanced QoS, configurable via the GUI is available, but only for sale.

Thats true, but it uses the same scripts as the free version. You can only add a bandwith limit to specific users with this special version (correct me if i'm wrong).
But I think BrainSlayer would be able to add those advanced QoS rules used in Tomato to DD-WRT Smile

Donater
BigL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
u3gyxap wrote:

The only thing in QoS in special paid version of DD-WRT is that when you create MAC or IP based rule you specify max download instead of priority. So it's far behind Tomato.

Anyway you can use QoS rules Generator pointed by me above to create advanced QoS rules. Users on polish Linksys forum report that it work very well.
u3gyxap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigL, you are right. That tool makes nice scripts. No question about it. They work fine with DD-WRT and extend it's QoS capabilities.
My point was, that with tomato, you don't need anything beyond the web GUI itself. No extra tools, no scripts. All there, easy to use, working perfectly. Like I said - for a lazy arse like me it's like butter and honey.
BigL
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
u3gyxap wrote:
My point was, that with tomato, you don't need anything beyond the web GUI itself. No extra tools, no scripts. All there, easy to use, working perfectly.

Generally I agree with you. In Tomato you have ready to use things fo average home network. But try to setup network with let's sayy 40 clients and different upload & download limits for them. No way to do it only in GUI - you need a script. But naturally only few % of us uses such configurations.

IMHO Tomato main feature is much more efficient QS with instant response - great for VoIP. In DD-WRT I needed to talk few seconds before QoS prioretised VoIP traffic over many other connections. In Tomato it's so instant that I cannot hear any strange things during calls.
nlinux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like a new version was posted today along with the source.

Time to dig deeper into the mysterious tomato.

SD Mod w/ 512 MB Card & Dual Serial Ports
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
nlinux wrote:
Looks like a new version was posted today along with the source.

Time to dig deeper into the mysterious tomato.

Yep, every page of interest says e.g.:
Tomato GUI
Copyright (C) 2006 Jonathan Zarate
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato/

For use with Tomato Firmware only.
No part of this file may be used without permission
kkgo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't mean you can't make something even better.

Or does everyone just copy and paste these days?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: