Linksys WRT54G2 now supported

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
remnorz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sooooo, I will post my reply to all this...

My OS: Vista Ultimate 64bit ed.
Router: Wrt54g2 v1.1

=======================================================

I did the same mistake a lot of the peeps here have done, used tftp, which didn't work (kept getting the red icon error). So... I got frustrated and used the web gui to upload the prep file and about 60% the router just rebooted...

Ok... so now the fun begins.

The router was randomly pinging to 192.168.1.1, the web gui would not appear (obviously) and tfpt would not work. I decided to connect the modem directly and check the forums, here I found someone that posted that vista's firewall blocked the tftp program, so I went ahead and disabled firewall, but still got the same error.

Side note: Up to this point I followed the instructions (setup my ipv4 config in vista to 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0).

Ok let's continue... I browsed and read about the JTAG cable, so I'm googling on the cable and just searching ebay for instructions on one, when I decide to give it a few more tries.

How I got it working:

1. I press the reset button (hard reset) on the router, which got me the orange light on.

2. Tried to ping and got a response with ttl 64.

3. Went to my ip settings and set to obtain auto.

4. Checked again to make sure firewall was off.

5. Used tftp again with the killer file and it worked!!!...

6. Used tftp to upload the prep (to start over).

7. Uploaded killer waited about 30 seconds (gave the router a reboot).

8. Uploaded dd-wrt the router restarted and didnt turn any of the lights on except the (1) in which my cable was connected...

9. After about 1 or 2 minutes the lights started to turn on again and YES... 192.168.1.1 resulted in a working router.

====================================================

Maybe I was lucky but, this is the way it worked without using a JTAG cable. So for those of you that made the mistake of uploading the prep via gui just keep trying different combinations till tftp works...

Cheers!

Rem. [/list]
Sponsor
bigwig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
My experience with adding DD-WRT to my new Linksys WRT54G2v1 router.....well it was strange to say the least.

Christmas Eve day we had a power surge in the house. Despite the router being plugged into a surge protector, the router bricked. It was a Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless router. Overall, it was a pretty good product. I ran the stock firmware and despite it having a few quirks, it worked for me.

So yesterday I see if I can get a WRT54G router locally. Doesn't seem possible from what I could gather but I noticed the G2 was supported by DD-WRT. I had read/heard a lot of good things about DD-WRT firmware, so I said, for $50, I'll just get the WRT54G2. I go home. Install the router using the Linksys software. 5 minutes later I'm up and running on the stock firmware. Great. It was a completely normal setup. So now I'm feeling frisky and I download the DD-WRT files and read the instructions. No big deal. So I go through the process and everything works fine. DD-WRT firmware loads properly and I'm able to connect to the new GUI at 192.168.1.1.Now I do want to say something now before I start discussing my issues I had with this install. These instructions are not good but not bad. There should be something that says "WAIT BETWEEN FLASHES OR YOUR NEW ROUTER MIGHT BECOME ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. I kind of ignored the "wait XXX minutes" because the router always rebooted so quickly but I almost started yanking my hair out thinking I bricked the router due to my impatient.

Now, I setup all the settings in the 192.168.1.1 page that I like. Go to connect to the internet, and I won't connect. Now I'm freaking out. I'm looking for what could be wrong. First thing I notice when I check the status of my network device is that my DNS address is 192.168.1.1. That immediately stuck out as me as wrong since I've setup a lot of computers to work with routers and they always have a unique DNS address other than the router's address. So I immediately go nuts looking for why I won't pick up a DNS address. Then I realize that it's not picking up a WAN IP address. So again, I go through all the pages to see why it won't work. End result is, NAT address still shows as the router IP address(WEIRD) and I had to clone my MAC address to allow me to connect to the internet(WEIRD x6) as I've never had to do that. I've also found port forwarding flat out doesn't work.

So all said and done, weird things about this firmware.

You will most likely have to clone your MAC address. Why? No clue. Never had to do it with my other 3 routers. I've never had to do it on any other computer I've ever networked with a router. Completely weird.

DNS address showing up at 192.168.1.1 is flat out weird. I've never seen this before. This might be some sort of feature of DD-WRT that I didn't realize and might make me look really stupid for pointing out, but its weird to me and threw me for a loop.

Port forwarding flat out doesn't work.

Instructions should include what a 30/30/30 reset is(but I don't think it even applies to this router to be honest with you) and should make it VERY clear that waiting the few minutes is less optional and more YOUR ROUTER WILL DIE IF YOU DON'T WAIT 5 MINUTES because I honestly thought my router was dead when the internet wasn't working(despite it really showing no signs of being bricked).

Someone should do a writeup how to revert back to the Linksys firmware because I couldn't figure it out. It doesn't seem to work as the other instructions on the internet suggest. Most likely because this model is different.
ryosuke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what i see, it is the way you flash your router rather than the firmware fault. i using WRT54G2 too and i never experience the same problem like you.
fieldy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:52    Post subject: i`ve got a problem Reply with quote
first of all..sorry for my english Rolling Eyes

ok. let`s see.. i`ve instaled dd-wrt firmware on my linksys wrt54g2..all was good but..a orange light shows on router.. on the original firmware if i push that buton it was smth like enter a pin or smth like that.. never mind.. then..i wanted to return to original firmware..i read on this topic how.. but now let`s tell you how i make.. i insert FW_WRT54G_8.1.09.02_US_20071227 on update firmware..and after rebooting i cant connect on internet..i`ve got a connection static ip.. with a clone mac..becouse my network admin use that type of protection.. whatever.. what`s the problem..and what should i do..

it`s my router broke??

thx for replays
mac_x50
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 22:19    Post subject: works perfectly Reply with quote
Today i upgraded my WRT54G2 with the DD-WRT and it works perfectly. I have no longer the problem with the Wifi, cause sometimes it disconnected itself and i had to reset the router.

Thanks guys. The tutorial is clear and easy. 8)

Time to upgrade - 12 min
Homer_S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another success story!

I was on my 3rd make/model of router with this one. Finally found one that was a supported model and version with this one. Installed per first post, got all the right reboots and now have my laptop ethernet connecting wirelessly to my network (G only with WPA-TKIP/PSK) and internet. Next step... XBox Live, wish me luck! FYI the router bottom claims it is WRT54G2v1.

Thanks!
Homer
Homer_S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Radu_TGW wrote:
Now i have another question. Why the Wi-Fi Protected Setup LED turned amber?

Mine did this until I set Shared Key instead of Auto under Wireless -> Advanced Settings -> Authentication Type.

Hope it helps,
Homer
Homer_S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Homer_S wrote:
Next step... XBox Live, wish me luck!

Works like a charm!

Thanks Again!
Homer

P.S. Any reason not to upgrade to this version? dd-wrt.v24-11218_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Homer_S wrote:

P.S. Any reason not to upgrade to this version? dd-wrt.v24-11218_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin

Be careful with any of the "micro-plus" versions... they require special install procedures on most devices. If you haven't done your homework first, you are asking for trouble.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
hpsenicka wrote:
Homer_S wrote:

Be careful with any of the "micro-plus" versions... they require special install procedures on most devices. If you haven't done your homework first, you are asking for trouble.

This is true...but the G2v1 unit after the initial upgrade to dd-wrt does have a 128K CFE, so it can take a micro+ build without any further updates.

you can always check it and make sure by pointing your browser to

http://<your IP>/backup/cfe.bin

download the file...check to see if it is 128K or 256K.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
This is true...but the G2v1 unit after the initial upgrade to dd-wrt does have a 128K CFE, so it can take a micro+ build without any further updates.

you can always check it and make sure by pointing your browser to

http://<your IP>/backup/cfe.bin

download the file...check to see if it is 128K or 256K.

redhawk

Had to write a quick html page to get it downloaded, but survey says... 128K.

Homer
YodaEXE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I installed DD-WRT on my WRT54G2 about an hour ago. The install went extremely smoothly, with no troubles at all. This was done through a copy of Vista Ultimate 64-bit, so for anyone having problems and are using Vista, it's unlikely to be the OS, as it worked fine on my end. I was able to get DD-WRT up and running, and even enabled Client Bridge mode with no troubles, and now have my Xbox 360 connected to the wireless network at my parent's house. Once I get back to my dorm, I'll switch it back over to regular AP mode. Have to say, it's great to be able to use my router for everything that I want to.
Agerasia
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too have successfully installed this onto a G2v1.
Remember to be patient and absolutely wait ages after the flash and between resets.
darthboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
just a qn to confirm. I've checked the supported devices wiki, and it says 16MB RAM for this device. I remember there were some comments that this has only 8MB RAM.

So does this have 8 or 16?

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
darthboy wrote:
just a qn to confirm. I've checked the supported devices wiki, and it says 16MB RAM for this device. I remember there were some comments that this has only 8MB RAM.

So does this have 8 or 16?

Mine has 16M Ram....2M Flash.

The Supported Device page is correct....I fixed it a few weeks ago.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: