Linksys WRT54G2 now supported

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78
juampi83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 22:01    Post subject: Re: Guide to revert to VXWorks Reply with quote
IZZY DOG wrote:
cybermiguel wrote:
rlasmar wrote:

Hi, I have the Router WRT54G2 V1. I did the procedure above for the WRT54GS V7, to restore the linksys firmware, and it's work. But, here is a question: If I want get back to dd-wrt again, what procedure should I follow? The procedure for the WRT54G2 V1 or WRT54GS V7, since now my router have the firmware from GS V7?

I guess I have to follow like the first time, the procedure for the WRT54G2 V1, right?

Another question: Can I update to firmware from WRT54G2 V1 using the Web Gui from the firmware WRT54GS V7, once now this is what istalled on my router?

Ok, I will answer your questions:

a) You can update to the original WRT54G2 firmware from the WRT54GS v7 doing the following:

1.- Download the WRT54G2 v1.0 firmware from http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54G2

2.- With a hex editor (in my case, I used xvi32) open one window with the WRT54GS v7.0 firmware and one window with the WRT54G2 v1.0 firmware.

3.- At the beginning of the firmware, there are some characters and some hex info that I call it "firmware check id". It's everything BEFORE the "Linksys WRT54G bla bla bla" part. You must replicate in the WRT54G2 firmware what you see in that part on the WRT54GS v7.0 firmware.

4.- Once you made those changes (not much in my opinion) on the WRT54G2 v1.0 firmware, save the file.

5.- Go to the router's firmware webpage and click the "administration" link. Now click "Firmware update" and choose the WRT54G2 v1.0 firmware you just saved (the one you edited). Click "upgrade".

6.- That's it. After waiting for around 4 or 5 minutes, you have the original WRT54G2 firmware.

From then on, you can use all the updates for the wrt54g2 that linksys makes available.

Now, to answer your second question, if you want to go back to dd-wrt, you have to use the WRT54G2 v1.0 method with the WRT54G2 v1.0 firmware.

I made it easy for people that have no experience with a HEX editor. I compiled the file and is ready. You need to have your routers firmware at WRT54GS V.7 before using this file.

THANKS A LOT FOR THAT FILE !!

It works perfectly. We can now revert to WRT54G2 ORIGINAL firmware thanks to IZZY DOG !! This means we can use all the updates for the WRT54G2 that Linksys makes available!

The Wiki should be updated!! :

"NOTE: After flashing the router with the VxWorksRevert image, it essentially becomes a WRT54GSv7 - you will no longer be able to flash the official Linksys WRT54G2V1 firmware onto it (requires a custom build of VxWorksRevert specifically for the WRT54G2 which is currently unavailable)."

Now it's possible.

Remember this is the ONLY way to recover wireless performance: WRT54G2 wireless rate drops to 2 Mbps or 1 Mbps with DDWRT. Many people (including me) have tried different settings to solve this problem with no success.

Don't waste your time and revert to VXWorks. That's the best you can do with this router. If you need the awesome features of DDWRT buy a good router like the WRT54GL. Wink
Sponsor
Mooncalled
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:00    Post subject: Upgrading, updating, flashing procedure question. Reply with quote
So, I've got a WRT54G2v1. Hacked it, flashed it, updated it to EKO's 12548_NEWD_Micro.

I've set it up as a client bridge so that it can talk wireless to my primary router across the room. I've got a Mac and a PC hooked into my 54G2. I drop internet consistenty. Kind of frustrating so I'm wondering if going to a new build will rectify that issue. I'll never now unless I try, right?

So, now to the meat of the matter.

When going to a new build from the same family (EKO, brainslayer, etc.) do I just update? Or do I need to tftp? Hard reset before and after? If I decide to change from EKO to brainslayer do I start from the beginning and flash or can I just update to an entirely different build? Huddle in a dark corner hugging my knees, rocking back and forth sucking my thumb?

I'm not worried about doing all the work of switching builds to find the best one that works for my application. I just want to do it right.

Thanks!
reckor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 21:10    Post subject: Last BIN Reply with quote
Hi all,

First post here.

First of all, thanks for this great firmware.

Second, I installed the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro
(SVN revision 13064) but it seems already an old version.

Could you please advise what is the newest one?

Thanks a lot,
cybero2912
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
here
reckor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
cybero2912 wrote:
here

Thanks, Cybero2912 !

Rgds!
reckor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
reckor wrote:
cybero2912 wrote:
here

Thanks, Cybero2912 !

Rgds!

Hi again,

After a while reading about DD-WRT I understood that my router Linksys WRT54G2 / GS2 has 16MB as internal memory.

Is that right? If so, in this case should I use another firmware than "micro" like "mini" or "std"?

What would be the most appropriate firmware for my router?

Thanks and sorry for such questions...

EDIT:

Took the weekend to read the whole Peacock Thread-FAQ at http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

So everything is there !

Last edited by reckor on Sat Jun 18, 2011 16:59; edited 1 time in total
reckor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 23:35    Post subject: Re: Upgrading, updating, flashing procedure question. Reply with quote
Mooncalled wrote:
So, I've got a WRT54G2v1. Hacked it, flashed it, updated it to EKO's 12548_NEWD_Micro.

I've set it up as a client bridge so that it can talk wireless to my primary router across the room. I've got a Mac and a PC hooked into my 54G2. I drop internet consistenty. Kind of frustrating so I'm wondering if going to a new build will rectify that issue. I'll never now unless I try, right?

So, now to the meat of the matter.

When going to a new build from the same family (EKO, brainslayer, etc.) do I just update? Or do I need to tftp? Hard reset before and after? If I decide to change from EKO to brainslayer do I start from the beginning and flash or can I just update to an entirely different build? Huddle in a dark corner hugging my knees, rocking back and forth sucking my thumb?

I'm not worried about doing all the work of switching builds to find the best one that works for my application. I just want to do it right.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm new here but I think you can upgrade from one to another without any problem. The only thing you must be aware is to backup before any update your configuration.

I did this upgrading to EKO from STD. It works fine.

Rgds!

MOD EDIT:
Thread locked. 78 pages with people posting at the end without reading it as it is too long. Please start a new post after reading the forum announcements and posting appropriate information including your router and version number.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 Display posts from previous:    Page 78 of 78
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: