Linksys WRT54G2 now supported

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 15:37    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G2 now supported Reply with quote
Long waited - finally here:

Linksys WRT54G2 supported

BSP Killer Notes for the Linksys WRT54G2V1

------ VxWorksKiller-G2V1-new.bin ---------

1. Reset the router to defaults on the Linksys Admin page, and let it reboot
or manually reboot it after its finished.

2. Set your computer to a static IP address of 192.168.1.10 and 255.255.255.0 for a mask
and plug ethernet cable into LAN port of the G2v1 unit.

3. Log in admin page (username is blank, password = admin) and navigate to firmware
upgrade page. Browse to the VxWorksKiller-G2V1-new.bin file, press Upgrade and wait 60
seconds for it to reboot on its own, if it does not, then powercycle the router manually.
Wait another 60 seconds and reboot it again. Router should now be listening for tftp
transfer of dd-wrt firmware.

4. Tftp the DD-WRT firmware to the router, use "dd-wrt.v24-10709_NEWD_micro.bin"
from the folder where you got these instructions; after sucessful tftp, wait 3 min for
the router to finish writing new nvram deafults, etc... It should reboot on its own at
least two times, so give it 3 min and then go to http://192.168.1.1 (If it not reboot
on its own, wait another 1 min, and then power cycle it)

5. When if finishes booting up...do a hard reset on the unit...let it boot again,
and configure.

6. Don't forget to set your computer back to automatically obtaining DHCP and DNS.

Get it here: downloads -> othere -> eko -> WRT54G2V1 Flashing

WARNING: No reversion to vxworks available

Credits: Tornado and redhawk0 and special credit to LOM for breaking 4 checksums
Thx to Ick & gfunk911 for donating routers.

WRT54G2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.92 KB
 Viewed:  330442 Time(s)

WRT54G2.jpg

Last edited by Eko on Tue Nov 03, 2009 14:13; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
teebes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 17:07    Post subject: woo! Reply with quote
That's awesome Eko, thanks so much for going through that.

Going to give this a go this afternoon, very exciting stuff!

Edit: Just finished installing and 24SP2micro is up and running. Didn't run into a single problem. Awesome!!

Last edited by teebes on Thu Oct 30, 2008 18:42; edited 1 time in total
rept
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot Eko!!! Gonna try it asap Smile
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good work!

Last edited by Shawn360 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 18:35; edited 1 time in total
Doramius
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dammit. You beat me to the punch.
I was getting ready to see if someone could help me with working on VxWorks programs to get this puppy ready. Thanks for the info.

I'll try it out later today. Is there a generic MAC address, or will it use the MAC address on the unit?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doramius wrote:
Dammit. You beat me to the punch.
I was getting ready to see if someone could help me with working on VxWorks programs to get this puppy ready. Thanks for the info.

I'll try it out later today. Is there a generic MAC address, or will it use the MAC address on the unit?

You keep the MAC addresses of your unit.

NO generics like the old V5,V6 flash methods.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
NICE!!! Thanks.
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 20:34    Post subject: Re: woo! Reply with quote
teebes wrote:
That's awesome Eko, thanks so much for going through that.

Going to give this a go this afternoon, very exciting stuff!

Edit: Just finished installing and 24SP2micro is up and running. Didn't run into a single problem. Awesome!!

Great!
I found one little problem with wxkiller, i uploaded new one now. I will make updater too for those who are already flashed it, but for now:
if you get
Code:
nvram get boardflags
0x750

please do:

Code:
nvram set boardflags=0x20750
nvram commit
reboot

this improves wireless speed a lot.

I apologize for inconvenience.
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great work, Eko and Tornado (and thanks to redhawk as well)! Why does Linksys even bother adding checksums?
Se7en is Darker...
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072 wrote:
Great work! Why does Linksys even bother adding checksums?

And why do they put Security Tamper-proof Torx screws in the unit too....didn't slow me down at all. Laughing

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great work guys, just tried it, and it's working!!! Now trying to configure WDS. Very Happy
Doramius
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
jmh9072 wrote:
Great work! Why does Linksys even bother adding checksums?

And why do they put Security Tamper-proof Torx screws in the unit too....didn't slow me down at all. Laughing

redhawk
Tell me about it. I have a small case I paid about $10 or $15 4 years ago, and it has nearly every bit one might come in contact with. I mean I have some freaky looking bit heads.

I had some phillips screws that were the same length and thread that I replaced the security screws with.

I make sure to grab the new files. I'm going to bridge it with my GS and G-TM models and see if there might be any issues in that area. I might also see if I can do a hardware mod to add removable antennas on the unit. I still have a few broken BEFW11S4 's that I can steal the antennas from. The internal antennas on the WRT54G2 are soldered to the board identically to the BEFW11S4. Just need to see how I can drill the case, or figure a place to mount them.
Howie69
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still wonder about these devices. No external antennas? What about jumpers to connect high gain antennas? And why have providers gone so far away from allowing bigger antennas from being added. Linksys used to charge an arm and a leg for 3.5dBi ants...about twice what I used to get 14dbi antennas for. Seems they would hurt their business, especially for people with larger houses...( especially those spread out one story ones ).
Doramius
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's probably a parent decision by Cisco. I can only speculate. For consumer grade items, they probably wanted to make it look more aesthetically appealing.

Personally, I think it looks like a half melted Frisbee and I liked the stackability of the older units. Granted, the older units needed a special mount to mount them on a wall.

The antennas can be easily unsoldered and replaced with removable antennas. however, because of the smlim design, you can't use the typical Rubber Duck style antenna. I removed some SMA antennas from a couple of broken D-Link APs. The connector and all. I haven't installed them yet, but they should fit quite nicely. I do have a few various adapters, so an SMA-TNC adapter should work fine if I want to use a regular Linksys style Rubber Duck antenna. When I actually do the mod, I'll post pics.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doramius wrote:
It's probably a parent decision by Cisco. I can only speculate. For consumer grade items, they probably wanted to make it look more aesthetically appealing.

Personally, I think it looks like a half melted Frisbee and I liked the stackability of the older units. Granted, the older units needed a special mount to mount them on a wall.

The antennas can be easily unsoldered and replaced with removable antennas. however, because of the smlim design, you can't use the typical Rubber Duck style antenna. I removed some SMA antennas from a couple of broken D-Link APs. The connector and all. I haven't installed them yet, but they should fit quite nicely. I do have a few various adapters, so an SMA-TNC adapter should work fine if I want to use a regular Linksys style Rubber Duck antenna. When I actually do the mod, I'll post pics.

Yeah...I think you are correct...Cisco tried to give it more eye-appeal....personally, I refer to it as a UFO device. (I didn't start that phrase...someone else on the board did)....but the antennas in this thing are HORRIBLE.

I too have some broken units hanging around....I may just steal an old Buff G54S antenna assembly and retrofit mine. (when I find the time, that is)

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: