WL-500W bricked, in warranty - what did I do wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
tcamdg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Primoz wrote:
Any news? Any people using a certain build and harrasing the hell out of router with no failiure?

Haven't had any trouble with the following configuration. I have USB mass storage and ftp set up. Also use the router to tunnel. Have all kinds of access restrictions set up. Any particular task you were trying to do?

tcamdg wrote:
I haven't had any problems with svn11218 (2008-12-17) on my WL-500W, and USB storage works great. If you haven't read the peacock thread (at least the first couple posts), you should.

I've also heard it's helpful--on only these ASUS routers--to disable "Boot Wait" (Administration > Boot Wait). Something about the ASUS routers having a boot_wait function built into them. I have no idea if it's true, but I haven't had any problems with boot_wait disabled.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Primoz wrote:
Any news? Any people using a certain build and harrasing the hell out of router with no failiure?

11650 seems to be working on this router. There has been some chatter about later builds working, but nothing definitive. I suggest 11650 at this point.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gamer.pro.2000
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried flashing my Asus and it worked with the micro build, but the moment I tried to upload the mega build via the firmware page, it would just reboot and get caught in an infinite reboot cycle. HOWEVER, the moment I unplugged everything but power and let it boot up, it would be fine. I used the lastest eko NEWD beta build on it to flash. Then, i could connect cables and log into the router, BUT it wouldn't let me make changes. It would just refresh and come back to the old settings. I tried telnetting in to try and jog it around a bit. I did a nvram commit on it to try and get the router to overwrite NVRAM (thinking something might be corrupt and causing it to catch on it) and from then on its been unresponsive. I'm considering the PIN 9 method to revive it, but I don't know which pin to short where (I'm more of a software person, not hardware). Anyone got any ideas? It just reboots every 1-2 seconds.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
gamer.pro.2000 wrote:
I used the lastest eko NEWD beta build on it to flash.

Out of curiousity, which specific build did you use.

Go to the install page in the wiki for this router. There are three threads linked at the top of the install notes. Read the one by user Pock.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gamer.pro.2000
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, I got it going. I finally got the device to reboot into recovery mode. I then re-flashed the micro .trx file after a 30-30-30 reset (12th time was a charm for some reason). I then did another 30-30-30 reset and eureka! It was fully functional.
JUST AS A NOTE:
For some reason the web GUI flashing is VERY VERY VERY unreliable (only seems to be on the Asus WL-500W though. My WAP54G and my WRT54G both work just fine). I have tried several times to flash via the web GUI and it fails every time. I'm going to update the wiki to tell people that TFTP is may be more reliable for the flash from mini to mega.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: