Is this implementation possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
alexkink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10    Post subject: Is this implementation possible? Reply with quote
Hello,
I'm wondering if the following is possible with DD-WRT.

I want to set up 3 separate WRT54G in 3 adjacent locations (about 50ft apart in a shape of a triangle, if that matters). Each router will have it's own broadband connection. Now I want to link these routers together over WiFi so that there would be redundancy of connection to the internet.

Say there is user John who is connected to router A. Router A looses its connection to internet due to a damaged line. The router A will then use router B's broadband connection over WiFi to provide user John with internet.

Is this possible?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am going to do this, but on a larger scale (100 homes), i will be testing around my house first though.

You want OSLR, have a look on the Wiki

OSLR is a mesh network and you can add different BB connections to it to improve redundancy
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could create the mesh, but you will need basic networking knowledge (mostly about simple subnetting and static routing) and a lot of time and patience Very Happy You will also be sacrificing the wireless functionality of your routers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is awesome!

I don't need the wireless functionality Smile I will be attaching webcams to these routers and want to make sure that if a dsl line will be cut on one router then it will switch to a broadband across the street and vice versa.

I'll start testing this in a month then I'm sure I'll be back for more help :)

Thanks for help!
-Alex
dan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi, I have a similar problem (i need redundancy!!), did you found something?

thanks!

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: