WRT54G-TM NON-JTAG CFE-Updater

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
rootarouter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:09    Post subject: mac hack Reply with quote
This forum has walked me through, the wrt54g-tm is now running the dd-wrt cfe(wow- even using the acroynms). I feel a sense of accomplishment - and untold rewards toward future tweaks of my network! Some observations
1. on opening the GUI the Tx power for the antenna boost was at 70- not 28- I have to believe the gurus who say higher power will shorten the life. I did find I could still not get all the coverage I needed at 175. So the plan is to keep it at 70 and get the other(router that supports UMA and T-Mobile @Home for VoIP-costs $50 and uses a sim card) t-mobile router and use one as a repeater somewhere else in the house. Where once again my new $600 (value added) router is going to be a blessing. BTW I believe my phone(Nokia 6301) may be compromised - the industry is not exactly embracing UMA. But it does work really good when it has a flush wifi connection- I even made free calls oversees. And why not - its simply voip.
2.Terminal works perfect to pick up the pings.
3. Camino worked perfectly with MacTFTP Client
4. Here are some screen splashs on how 2 static addresses are oiginated with Tiger (10.4)
5. The very left side of the router (only) is warm, but less than the cable modem
Much obliged to all- credit is all yours because I don't know how the heck I did it!

manualip2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.09 KB
 Viewed:  19921 Time(s)

manualip2.jpg

manualip.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.66 KB

manualip.jpg

portconfig.jpg
 Description:
start a new location to facilate saving old setting. Under Show you set port config
 Filesize:  59.09 KB

portconfig.jpg

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the TM model I have recently purchased (from the great info on this site) and am going to flash tommorrow. I am sure it will be easy as everyone says per the detailed instructions but forgive me but I am also confused about the "builds". I know they are all similiar but I want to make sure I have the most up to date build. My confusion stems from these choices.

dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin
(This is from the SP1 section of downloads)

dd-wrt.v24-9517_NEWD_mega.bin
(This is from the others/eko section)

So which is newer or better or am I on the wrong section. I did not see any SP2 section. I was also wondreing about the RC7 section in others/eko.
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
weemus wrote:
I have the TM model I have recently purchased (from the great info on this site) and am going to flash tommorrow. I am sure it will be easy as everyone says per the detailed instructions but forgive me but I am also confused about the "builds". I know they are all similiar but I want to make sure I have the most up to date build. My confusion stems from these choices.

dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin
(This is from the SP1 section of downloads)

dd-wrt.v24-9517_NEWD_mega.bin
(This is from the others/eko section)

So which is newer or better or am I on the wrong section. I did not see any SP2 section. I was also wondreing about the RC7 section in others/eko.

The latest Eko builds are located under the others / eko / V24_TNG directory. In here you will see multiple folders (e.g. svn10991, svn10949, etc). The higher the number is in the folder name, the newer it is. Currently as I am writing this, the latest eko build posted is svn10991, so you would go into this directory and grab the dd-wrt.v24-10991_NEWD_mega.bin file.

As for RC7, this is pre-SP1. You do not want that.

There are also builds done by BrainSlayer located in others / eko / BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 that you can test out also.

Got OpenDNS?
ctempleton3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed my WRT54G-TM and it worked great. Now I am working on the hardware mods.

-ctempleton3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
In preparing for a near future change to a T-Mobile HotSpot@Home setup, I have three questions:

1. Is this v24-11028_NEWD_mega.bin valid as "the latest & greatest":
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn11028/dd-wrt.v24-11028_NEWD_mega.bin

2. Does a DD-WRT loaded WRT54G-TM offer the "Static Lease" feature I now use on my WRT54GL with DD-WRT v24?

3. Do I even really need to go the route of T-Mobile's Linksys WRT54G-TM ... or will my WRT54GL with DD-WRT v24 work just fine?

Thanks!!
Gadget-Geek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been using dd-wrt for about a year now and I am very pleased with all the features available. The question I have is what makes the WRT54G-TM better than the WRT54GS V3?, other than the two serial ports listed in the item description. Are they true serial ports or just headers on the board?. Also what does an SD/MMC card upgrade do?. Does the router still function as a T-Mobile hotspot after the upgrade? not that I care about it, I was just wondering.
LogicAl2008
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gadget-Geek

According to what I've read, the WRT54G-TM is a physically modified WRT54GL ... it has twice the memory capacity and twice the flash capacity.

It has also been tweaked to permit low-power transmission to mobile devices via Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (UAPSD).

From what I've read, as well, ANY router can be used, but this router from T-Mobile is tweaked to save your device's battery power.

On the DD-WRT's Wireless -> Advanced Settings tab I have WMM Support enabled, but I haven't tweaked the other settings (nor do I know if I must):

Anyway, I'm getting a T-Mobile HotSpot-@-Home Blackberry in about one week. I can reply if I see issues with my current router (WRT54GL v1.1), if that helps you or anyone else.[/i]
StevenJJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:04    Post subject: WRT54G-TM reached a new low! Reply with quote
$19.99 US at the T-Mobile mall kiosk. I'm definitely going to go get more before this dries up.

The manager even asked if I had a friend's TM phone number, to give me the $20 rebate for each one!

Amazing bargain....
StevenJJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:31    Post subject: De-bricked new WRT54G-TM Reply with quote
I just had a new out of the box bricked WRT54G-TM. I thought I'd be bringing it back to the kiosk for a replacement when instead I found that it accepted the CFE file via TFTP at 192.168.1.1. I thought address worked after the CFE is flashed, but who knows? Maybe someone botched this one and snuck it back into stock??? Whatever. Just thought I'd post this in case you get one in the same shape.

I might try using only TFTP the next one I flash to see if that simplifies the steps somewhat, bypassing the browser until it is ready to run under DD-WRT.

Hope this helps.
rndman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:43    Post subject: I bricked my router Reply with quote
Hi,

I followed the exact instructions. I waited for 5 minutes after CFE updater load, still no go for the ping response.

The only thing i did not do was when it responded Upload successfully, I did not press continue but waited for 5 minutes. Does that make a difference.

The router is dead. Any help is appreciated.
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48    Post subject: Re: I bricked my router Reply with quote
rndman wrote:
Hi,

I followed the exact instructions. I waited for 5 minutes after CFE updater load, still no go for the ping response.

The only thing i did not do was when it responded Upload successfully, I did not press continue but waited for 5 minutes. Does that make a difference.

If can't ping it or tftp then a jtag cable is your only option you can make or buy one on eBay jtag cable Linksys.
rndman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:56    Post subject: Re: I bricked my router Reply with quote
Shawn360 wrote:
rndman wrote:
Hi,

If can't ping it or tftp then a jtag cable is your only option you can make or buy one on eBay jtag cable Linksys.

Do you think that not pressing "Continue" immediately after "Upload Successful" message may have caused this?

How are other doing. Do they press "Continue" or just wait ignoring (that I did).
rndman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:15    Post subject: Re: I bricked my router Reply with quote
rndman wrote:
Shawn360 wrote:
rndman wrote:
Hi,

Do you think that not pressing "Continue" immediately after "Upload Successful" message may have caused this?

How are other doing. Do they press "Continue" or just wait ignoring (that I did).

Another thing is I used FireFox while connecting the router.
Is anything else needs to be done. This was a fresh out of box new router. I did not even open the CD that came with it assuming it is some GUI for administration.
Please help to find out what went wrong so that other do not have the similar problem.
kruang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I did it, I didn't click the Continue button at all. I just waited until the ping command returns the response. Once it ready, I TFTP the router and close the browser. I used IE7.
SwissMoose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought I had bricked mine too. I waited 6-7 minutes with still no ping and hit the "Continue" button and waited another 4 minutes. Still no ping. Went to the IP settings on my network card and found that they had somehow jumped back to auto assign (DHCP) but have no idea how that happened. I had been running a static IP on my old router for months so I don't know what would have triggered it to jump back to auto while running this firmware update with the new IP settings.

Anyways, with the IP's setup again (just as in the tutorial) it started getting pings right away and the rest went smoothly. Just thought I would post as I thought I might have to exchange this guy or recover it with the iron. Good luck.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: