WRT54G-TM NON-JTAG CFE-Updater

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 15:50    Post subject: WRT54G-TM NON-JTAG CFE-Updater Reply with quote
Thanks to Eko and Brainslayer, we now have a non-jtag CFE_Updater-WRT54G-TM.

Special thanks to Luniz2k1, for his excellent testing and reporting skills.

The CFE_Updater-WRT54G-TM will be available in my directory.

Please be sure to read the README, there are some special instructions.

I will begin working on a reversion tool as well.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64

Last edited by Tornado on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:55; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hit me up on Yahoo IM, I can test it for you.

Got OpenDNS?
Tornado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need your CFE first ?

TIAO Parallel adapter

Compiling DD-WRT on:

Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Testing in progress...please stand by...

Got OpenDNS?
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so far it works for the most part. Tornado has created a CFE_Updater that replaces the CFE on the WRT54G-TM without the need to JTAG. Once this happens it erases the whole flash. Currently it does not automatically reboot the router after the whole flash is erased, which Tornado is still working on. So for now you have to cycle the power on the router. Then you would tftp DD-WRT to the router and you are good to go.

Also, it currently doesnt retain the router's MAC address, which he is also working on.

So the process would be:
1. Update the router in the stock Linksys web gui with the CFE_Updater. This step takes at least 5 minutes as it has to erase the whole flash. Once it is done, it should reboot, which it currently does not. Once Tornado has the reboot worked out, you will not need to cycle the power at this point.
2. Now the router is waiting for you to TFTP a firmware to it. Since there is no firmware on it at this point, you can TFTP the mega build to it, or whichever you wish to use.
3. Reset to defaults and configure away Cool

Got OpenDNS?
Tornado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's done Smile

TIAO Parallel adapter

Compiling DD-WRT on:

Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashing instructions on the way...

Got OpenDNS?
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
===================================================
How to flash the Linksys WRT54G-TM T-Mobile Edition
===================================================

In order to flash this router you need to do the following steps:

* Download the DD-WRT firmware (MUST be v24-RC5 or newer - v24-SP2 build 12548 >>>OR A NEWER BUILD<<< is suggested) NOTE: Check the Peacock thread for recommended build numbers if unsure.
* Download the TFTP utility
* Download Tornado's CFE_Updater-WRT54G-TM.bin
* Turn OFF/Disable any AV/Firewall on your pc.
* Make sure your pc is wired to a LAN port on the router when flashing.

Note to new users: Do your research and find out what the latest build is and use it from the start, unless there are issues with the latest build preventing the WRT54G-TM from operating properly, then go to a previous build.

1. The default LAN IP Address of the Linksys WRT54G-TM is 192.168.0.1. You will need to set a Static IP Address on your computer for this procedure. If you are on Windows I suggest that you reset the router to it's defaults and set 2 LAN IP Address on your network controller to speed up the process, otherwise once you upload the CFE_Updater-WRT54G-TM.bin you will need to change your LAN IP Address from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.1.2 to be able to TFTP DD-WRT onto the router.

On Windows XP, Control Panel/Network Connections/right-click on Local Area Connection icon and select Properties.
On Windows Vista, Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center.

Go into the properties of the Local Area Connection/Internet Protocol TCP/IP and set the static IP address.

IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Click the Advanced button in the TCP/IP setup window and in the IP Address section click the ADD button to add the following 2nd IP Address to the adapter:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Then click OK on each screen. Your network interface card (NIC) now has 2 LAN IP Address statically set on it, 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.1.2. This will allow your PC to communicate with the router before and after replacing the CFE on it. It will also allow you to be able to tell when the router is ready for a TFTP upload.

2. Open a command prompt window and type ping -t 192.168.1.1 and hit enter. Leave this window open.

3. Log into the WRT54G-TM's web interface @ http://192.168.0.1 (assuming that the router has been reset to defaults) and go to the Administration Tab - Firmware Upgrade. Upload the CFE_Updater-WRT54G-TM.bin to the router.

!!!ATTENTION!!! You MUST wait at least 5 minutes after clicking the Upgrade button to allow the CFE_Updater to replace the stock CFE on the router and for it to erase the rest of the flash, otherwise you will brick your router.

A few seconds after clicking the Upgrade button the Linksys web interface will report that the upload has been successful and the power light will begin flashing on the router. Do NOT assume that the CFE replacement/flash erasing/reboot process has finished as the power light will continue to flash after it has rebooted. So there is no way to tell when it is ready for you to TFTP the DD-WRT firmware to it except when you begin to see the ping respond.

So once it is finished replacing the stock CFE and erasing the rest of the flash, the router will reboot. When the router is ready for the TFTP upload of the DD-WRT firmware, you will see the ping -t 192.168.1.1 begin to respond in the command prompt window that you opened before.

4. Start up the TFTP utility and set the following:
    Server: 192.168.1.1
    Password: <leave blank>
    File: <path to dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_mega.bin> (or whichever build you wish to use)
Now click the Upgrade button. Once the firmware is sent to the router, it will reboot. The power light will change from flashing to solid when it is ready to be configured @ http://192.168.1.1

A few notes:

* Tornado has made it so that the router will retain it's MAC Address that is on the label on the bottom of the router with the new CFE replacement.
* Tornado is in the process of making a revert bin for those who may choose to revert back to the stock Linksys firmware (god only know why Cool )

Many thanks goes out to Tornado, Eko, and Brainslayer for their work on this!!! 8)

No more will you need to void your warranty by opening the WRT54G-TM to JTAG DD-WRT onto it, or spending $70+ USD for a WRT54G-TM pre-loaded with DD-WRT from eBay Cool

Got OpenDNS?

Last edited by Luniz2k1 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 19:33; edited 8 times in total
Knarf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 19:17    Post subject: non-jtag flash of wrt54g-tm Reply with quote
I downloaded the appropriate files (I think . . .) and followed the instructions. CFE updated fine. Waited until PINGing 192.168.1.1 returned responses. Ran TFTP2 set for 192.168.1.1, no password, dd-wrt.v24-10404_NEWD_mega.bin. Failed, oh I dunno, maybe three hundred attempts. Power cycled router, tried again. NFG. Still can PING router, just can't update. What's up?
Knarf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 19:28    Post subject: non-jtag flash of wrt54g-tm Reply with quote
BTW, the error message is "unable to get responses from the server".
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 20:06    Post subject: Re: non-jtag flash of wrt54g-tm Reply with quote
Knarf wrote:
I downloaded the appropriate files (I think . . .) and followed the instructions. CFE updated fine. Waited until PINGing 192.168.1.1 returned responses. Ran TFTP2 set for 192.168.1.1, no password, dd-wrt.v24-10404_NEWD_mega.bin. Failed, oh I dunno, maybe three hundred attempts. Power cycled router, tried again. NFG. Still can PING router, just can't update. What's up?

I had no issues TFTP'ing to both of mine that I tested on. If you are able to ping 192.168.1.1 then you should have no problem with TFTP upload.

Got OpenDNS?
Knarf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 20:54    Post subject: Re: non-jtag flash of wrt54g-tm Reply with quote
I'm in now and beginning to configure the "new" router. I had to power cycle the both the router and the computer several times, then finally voila! It upgraded the firmware very quickly. Go figure.
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very strange. I did not have to cycle the power on the router or my pc during the entire process. As a matter of fact I just went through the process again and had no problem. Glad you got it working though. I hope you enjoy DD-WRT.

Got OpenDNS?
Knarf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 21:26    Post subject: Extending WLAN? Reply with quote
Ok. I successfully flashed a WRT45G-TM with the newest dd-wrt firmware. Very slick. However, now I am totally confused as to how to set the darn thing up for what I need to do. Specifically, I have a WNDR3300 running in my office. I need to extend the network wirelessly to the WRT54G. So far, I have not been able to have the two units in communication. Additionally, we switched to cable internet at the WRT54G and I am discontinuing the DSL access at the WNDR3300. I need to have the WNDR3300 wirelessly connect to the internet via the WRT54G. AND, we have several wifi enabled cell phones that need internet access, both in my office and around the rest of the house. And no, wiring isn't a real good option. Is there any way that this can be done with my present routers, and can someone give me a hint at how the "new" WRT54G should be configured . . . and here's where the confusion comes in: bridge mode, client mode, WDS, repeater, etc. I have a headache from trying to tell the differences, pros, cons, etc. Thanx in advance.
Mountain Man
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knarf,

You need to follow the instructions for a Repeater Bridge to extend your wi-fi range or a Wireless Bridge, for computers you want to connect to via ethernet cable, but don't want to have to run cable from one AP to the next.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 21
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: