DD-WRT v24 SP1 + Linksys WRT54G v5 + torrents problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
w1n73rmu7e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 15:49    Post subject: DD-WRT v24 SP1 + Linksys WRT54G v5 + torrents problems Reply with quote
Hi,

I've got a Linksys WRT54G v5 running DD-WRT v24 SP1 (upgraded a month or so back from v23 SP2). I run torrents using rtorrent, and recently, the router randomly started having problems when I run torrents.

The LAN DNS server on the router dies, as well DHCP. The server running rtorrent keeps going just fine though, except for a few failures in contacting the trackers. I can still ping external addresses and do DNS lookups (I have an external DNS server enabled on the server).

If a computer other than the one running rtorrent is already connected to the network and directly using external DNS servers, everything works fine on it as well. But if it uses the router for DNS or tries to connect to the network after the torrents have been started, there are problems.

Anyone know what's going on? I've had a lot of problems with this router and I'm thinking about just buying a WRT54GL so I can run the full DD-WRT firmware, rather than the micro version - would that fix the problems?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsor
hardwarewizard
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
are you using QOS?? also there are several posts about torrent problems you may need to read.
w1n73rmu7e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I'm not using QoS. I haven't touched my router settings in over a month, so I don't understand why this suddenly started happening. By the way, I just tried connecting with a static IP after the torrents were running, and it worked fine. So there is a problem with the router's DHCP and DNS servers.
pbix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try disabling Spanning tree protocol "STP" located on the main setup screen. I think there may be an issue with this feature and DHCP.

I cannot see how a WRT54GL will help. Same software means the same problem.
w1n73rmu7e
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbix wrote:
Try disabling Spanning tree protocol "STP" located on the main setup screen. I think there may be an issue with this feature and DHCP.
That was already disabled. As I said, I haven't touched my settings in over a month.

pbix wrote:
Well, it would be using the full firmware, rather than just the micro version.
Blackraven
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbix wrote:

But different hardware, twice the memory, half the problem. Laughing

retired:
WRT54GL v1.1 DD-WRT v24-SP2 vpn - build 10550
WRT610N v1 DD-WRT v24-preSP2 - build 14929 mega
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: