Wireless doesn't work after upgrade to v24?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
crypticgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:51    Post subject: Wireless doesn't work after upgrade to v24? Reply with quote
I upgraded my WRT54G v1 from v23 to v24 standard. I figured after 2 years of faithful service upgrading to the latest and greatest might be a good idea. Upgrade went smoothly; I followed the instructions on the wiki. That is, I erased the nvram, upgraded, erased the nvram again, rebooted, and reconfigured.

The only problem I'm having now is I can not for the life of me get the wireless to work correctly. Even with no encryption, I still can't get connected. Sniffing the air shows that some communication is happening. I can see the beacons from the router and some authentication packets being exchanged from clients. But I haven't been able to connect via ipod touch, os x, or windows.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you use the VINT build? You should on a Gv1.
crypticgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure what you mean. I used "dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin".
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go to downloads, other, eko, 24tng, 10431 and download the VINT_standard_generic (presuming standard IS the right one for your router). There is information that putting a non vint version on a v.1 will brick it. Obviously that hasn't happened to you, but it also says RF signals won't work.

Is it a v.1 for sure, or a 1.1?
crypticgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, it would have been nice if the installation page mentioned anything about vintage firmware up front. As it is it doesn't mention it at all under the WRT54G v1/1.1 section of the Linksys_WRT54G/GL/GS/GX page. After searching I finally found the note you were talking about on the supported devices page, wish I had read that first. Luckily I didn't brick my router, which yes is definitely v1 (just double checked the serial #).

What the difference between

"downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24 SP1/Consumer/Broadcom Generic/vintage" and "downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn10431"?

Obviously one is a release and the other is whatever latest SVN build there is there. Why should I pick one or the other? When we're done, should add all this info to the WRT54* page on the wiki.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="crypticgeekWhat the difference between

"downloads/stable/dd-wrt.v24 SP1/Consumer/Broadcom Generic/vintage" and "downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn10431"?

/quote]

The EKO build is a beta version, not an actual release. However, many have found that it fixes some issues in SP1 and a lot of people are using it, although it is not an official release yet.

In the READ ME FIRST portion of the version page, there is a link to this, which talks about whether you need the VINT version or not....

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#Which_V24_build_do_I_flash_onto_my_Broadcom_router
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: