need pros and cons of WDS, Wireless Bridge, Access Pt.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
goixiz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 14:05    Post subject: need pros and cons of WDS, Wireless Bridge, Access Pt..... Reply with quote
I am totally confused
I have a WRT54G and WRT54GL
Both will be upgraded firmware to V24 Std

I want to have both the Wrouters used as optimally as possible

router 1 - connected to modem
1. PC
2. VOIP box
3. Wireless to laptops

Router 2 - (wireless to router 1 due to wiring issues (dist and location) )
1. PC
2. net printer
3. net HD (storage)
4. wireless laptops (if possible with higher priority than other laptops)

So which setup should i use or try ?
Sponsor
Mountain Man
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will get the best results with a repeater bridge. With a repeater bridge, the AP does the all the DHCP, which speeds things up a bit over a Repeater, where BOTH the AP and the Repeater each have to do DHCP.
goixiz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Mman
whats the diff between wireless bridge and repeater bridge. I was heading towards wireless bridge, i noticed the repeater bridge accepts wireless laptops to function on it as well - does that slows down the router#2 since it has to comm with both laptops and router 1
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mountain Man wrote:
You will get the best results with a repeater bridge. With a repeater bridge, the AP does the all the DHCP, which speeds things up a bit over a Repeater, where BOTH the AP and the Repeater each have to do DHCP.

You can set up a repeater bridge so that the AP handles all of the DHCP....that is what I have. AP runs stock firmware, repeater bridge has DCHP disabled. All units within the IP range of the AP.

A lot of people suggest that WDS is better than a bridge, but since my AP cannot do WDS, and WDS is vendor proprietory, I haven't been able to try WDS.
Mountain Man
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
goixiz wrote:
Thanks Mman
whats the diff between wireless bridge and repeater bridge. I was heading towards wireless bridge, i noticed the repeater bridge accepts wireless laptops to function on it as well - does that slows down the router#2 since it has to comm with both laptops and router 1

A wireless bridge makes a wireless connection to the AP, but the wireless bridge pretty much becomes a wired router at that point, whereas a repeater bridge still allows wireless connections to it. There is a speed drop when configured as a wireless repeater, but it's not noticeable unless you have a REALLY fast Internet connection
goixiz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 17:49    Post subject: swinging towards wireless bridge Reply with quote
im leaning towards wireless bridge as of now because the AP = router1 i assuming is still capable of receiving wireless signals from laptops

Ill research the WDS

because i have two WRT54g and WRT54GL
and will have both using dd-wrt v24

p.s. shoould i go to SP1 V24
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
In mny view, the real difference between a repeater bridge and WDS is that WDS routers can all use the same SSID, whereas a repeater bridge has one SSID from the AP, and another going out as the repeated signal.

Skip SP1 and go to downloads, other, eko, 24tng, 10431 and get the right NEWD build for your router. Make sure you get the right one, particularly for the wrt54g routers, as there are quite a few different versions of that router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: