Outdoor Antenna problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jasit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:24    Post subject: Outdoor Antenna problems Reply with quote
Hi hopefully someone has run into this before

I have my office and two houses that we have hooked up 3 wrt54g v5 routers with wds with wpa - Aes security using 3 3dBi omni directional antennas we set the power level to 84 mW.

We would get upto 18 mb/s but it would jump up and down all the time so my cousin decided he wanted more power. We purchased the two directional ant and a bigger omnidirectional ant for the office. Each Ant came with a 10 ft gold plated connection cable.

We hooked up the omni directional at the office and we are getting 1 mb/s and the TX errors was approx 100 per every good one. The receive was at a 100 percent.

Here is the spec on the omni directional
Frequency: 2400-2500 MHz
Gain: 12 dBi
Polarization: Vertical
Vertical Beam Width: 8
Horizontal Beam Width: 360
Impedance: 50 Ohm
Max. Input Power: 50 Watts
VSWR: < 1.5:1 avg.
Weight: 1.7 lbs (0.8kg)
Length: 48 in. (1.2m)
Diameter: .740 in. (18.8mm)
Radome Material: Gray Fiberglass
Mounting: 2.0 in. diameter mast max.
Operating Temperature: -40° C to to 85° C, (-40° F to 185° F)
RoHS Compliant: Yes

directional ant
Frequency: 2400-2500 MHz
Gain: 24 dBi
-3 dBi Beam Width: 8 degrees
Cross Polarization Rejection: 26 dBi
Front to Back Ratio: 24 dB
Sidelobe: -20dB Max
Impedance: 50 Ohm
Max. Input Power : 50 Watts
VSWR: < 1.5:1 avg.
Weight: 8 lbs. (3.62 kg)
Grid Dimensions: 39.5 in (100 cm) x 23.5 in (60 cm)
Mounting: 2 in. (50.8 mm) diameter mast max.
Elevation Angle: 0 to +10 degrees
Operating Temperature: -40° C to to 85° C, (-40° F to 185° F)
RoHS Compliant: Yes

I have tried playing with the power and still nothing consistant, I don't want to setup the directional ant at the houses until I know the omni directional is working properly.

Any suggestings would be great.
Sponsor
Ld%j&2hYz%
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Vertical Beam Width: 8

very narrow beam.
Cool Dude
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sad

Last edited by Cool Dude on Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:49; edited 1 time in total
KK
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
How far away are your houses from your office and how high did you mount your omni directional antenna? As you can see from your omni directional antenna spec that it's vertical bean width is only 8 degree. If you mount it too high and your client antennas are too near, it just shoot over head above your clients.
u3gyxap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure you have not mounted your directional antennas for horisontal polarization. And, you may want to try changing left and right connectors, sometimes the diversity chips tend to die.
rkramer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
you are running wds? with internal clients also? keep in mind the wrt's only have 1 radio, if you are doing point to point links with directional antennas they CAN NOT also function as a local AP.
jasit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 21:40    Post subject: diversity chips tend to die? Reply with quote
Okay so I checked the version and it was the final sp1 version tried cranking up the power no difference

So I took another one of the routers, hooked up one of the directional antennas to the 10 ft cable and powered it up, it was at 100% no errors perfect, switched it over to the right antenna, and poof I got errors galour, so I powered down removed the ext ant put the original back on and I still get 100 errors for every good one.

So does this mean I have blown the diversity chip on both routers? Is this something that I can bypass or am I screwed.

Oh by the way the first router is a v5, the 2nd is a gs v1.1

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: