WRT310N possible brick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
jdanton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:15    Post subject: Re: solution Reply with quote
Rob_G wrote:
hazybluedot wrote:
I had a very similar problem to what some people were reporting here. DHCP was not working so I had to assign a static IP (I chose 192.168.1.70) I did not get ANY pings during start up and so couldn't TFTP on boot. However, after a lot of trial and error I found that this sequence worked. Keep a ping command running the whole time to get an idea of the timing. Also keep another terminal up with tftp ready and set to PUT code.bin (download from linksys.com) at a moment's notice.

30/30/30 reset
let settle for 10 seconds
unplug, wait 10 seconds
plug back in, let power light go steady
press and hold reset, after about 20 seconds I would get a single ping
if I hit enter on the tftp put command as soon as I saw that ping and *continued to hold reset down* I would get continuous pings after about 10 seconds TFTP returned success and the pings would stop, I knew this was normal as after the trasfer the flash was written, so I continued to hold reset down until the pings started up again (I forget exactly how long, but close to a minute I think).
Once the pings started again I was able to cycle the power, do another 30/30/30 reset, power cycle and FINALLY get back into the linksys firmware.

I ended up having to do this twice because I discovered that apparently dd-wrt V23 SP2 standard doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, it's tedious and long, but it got my router back up and running after I was almost certain I had bricked it, so I hope that helps!

This is a good start. I could not un-brick my wrt-310 until I got a few ideas from this. Basically all I did was:

static ip 192.168.1.5
ping 192.168.1.1 -t
power on router
wait several seconds for 'host unreachable'
push and hold reset
unplug and plug the router in quickly
keep holding reset and execute the tftp once you see the ping results
Let go of reset once the pings stop responding

Two keys here. Reset has to be held (like you say)and you need to power cycle the router quickly so ping results never gets to the 'hardware error' response. It took me over an hour to finally get the firmware updated on this router. What a PIA.. Thanks for your post, it put me in the right direction and that it COULD be done.

Rob

Same here, this is what worked for me. Tried for about 4 hours without pressing the reset button. The router would receive the file via tftp but would just sit like that pinging with TTL 100.

Pressing the reset button and feeding it the file with the button pressed worked.
Sponsor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: