WRT310N possible brick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
ramonster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the same situation as Robstar, flashed micro to 310N as on the features page theres no indication it lacks gigabit Sad

Router is pingable for a few seconds on restart, tftp seems to work (transfers linksys firmwire in 6-7 seconds) then just seems to be pingable until a restart where it resumes its usual dead unreachable state. I waited 10+ minutes after tftp'ing linksys firmware before restarting - nothing :(

Its still pingable for a few seconds every restart, and seems to remain pingable if I send a firmware via tftp but so far all attempts don't bring back a working router/interface/anything.

Suggestions anyone? Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
ramonster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm update:

I set 10Mbit half duplex on the network card, waited for the few early pings on startup and send the linksys firmware via tftp, its strange because after I have done this the router stays pingable for as long as I leave it, it doesn't stop replying after the tftp transfer completes. However after 10+ minutes a reboot just gives the same old 2-3 ping reply on startup then dead unless I tftp again for endless ping replies.

I tried tftp from windows and linux, and with linksys wrt310n and ddwrt firmware images.

Any ideas at all would be much appreciated. The unit seems like its somehow fixable since its giving the early tftp acceptance pings and goes into a ping holding pattern once I send tftp firmware.
psortland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having the same exact issue stated above. If micro is not supposed to be loaded, why would it even be in the wrt310n folder? that just confuses people and leads to issues like this :/
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
psortland wrote:
I am having the same exact issue stated above. If micro is not supposed to be loaded, why would it even be in the wrt310n folder? that just confuses people and leads to issues like this :/

I don't know why the devs felt the need to make a folder for each router model. It causes more problems than it solves, IMO.

Se7en is Darker...
psortland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
RobbieCrash wrote:
That was what happened to me when I first got my 310.

What I did was:

1. leave the router off for 10 minutes, unplugged from everything
2. booted it up, let it sit for a few minutes, then 30/30/30
3. TFTP Linksys image to it.
4. Waited 15 minutes after image was transfered.
5. Rebooted router.

All was working.

After that I went mini>standard through normal webGUI.

However, the reason I've just registered is to find out solutions to my issues which is that with a WMP300N on my desktop, Dell Wireless N on my laptop and my roommate's G4 Powerbook with Wireless G, everything fell apart, network access dropped to nothing, until I moved back to the Linksys firmware.

I followed these steps, and I still am having the same issue... I switched from auto detection to 10 half duplex too when doing the tftp... any other suggestions? as posted above, it allows the tftp, and then allows me to ping for a long period of time, but after a reset (waited 20 mins) it still fails.
psortland
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump
ramonster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi psortland...

I've resigned myself to the fact that I need to get the unit replaced under warranty. Seems like the 310n's won't accept firmware in the documented way via tftp... it probably does somehow, thusly the pings, it seems to respond to the data stream and stay alive, but doesn't accept the data for flash for whatever reason. I even tried a few modified Linksys firmwares, no luck.

So yeah, unless someone comes up with a way or idea to have the 310N accept some kind of firmware via tftp, maybe its looking for a particular "header", we're boned bro :(

I guess noone has the 310N bootloader for reverse engineering by chance?
hazybluedot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:18    Post subject: solution Reply with quote
I had a very similar problem to what some people were reporting here. DHCP was not working so I had to assign a static IP (I chose 192.168.1.70) I did not get ANY pings during start up and so couldn't TFTP on boot. However, after a lot of trial and error I found that this sequence worked. Keep a ping command running the whole time to get an idea of the timing. Also keep another terminal up with tftp ready and set to PUT code.bin (download from linksys.com) at a moment's notice.

30/30/30 reset
let settle for 10 seconds
unplug, wait 10 seconds
plug back in, let power light go steady
press and hold reset, after about 20 seconds I would get a single ping
if I hit enter on the tftp put command as soon as I saw that ping and *continued to hold reset down* I would get continuous pings after about 10 seconds TFTP returned success and the pings would stop, I knew this was normal as after the trasfer the flash was written, so I continued to hold reset down until the pings started up again (I forget exactly how long, but close to a minute I think).
Once the pings started again I was able to cycle the power, do another 30/30/30 reset, power cycle and FINALLY get back into the linksys firmware.

I ended up having to do this twice because I discovered that apparently dd-wrt V23 SP2 standard doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, it's tedious and long, but it got my router back up and running after I was almost certain I had bricked it, so I hope that helps!
ramonster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good post and find Hazy, seems like the missing link to tftp restore at least on the 310N is holding that reset button! If only Linksys would update their recovery process information to their FAQ site and to their phone and live support people :(

Great find Hazy!
Rob_G
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:11    Post subject: Re: solution Reply with quote
hazybluedot wrote:
I had a very similar problem to what some people were reporting here. DHCP was not working so I had to assign a static IP (I chose 192.168.1.70) I did not get ANY pings during start up and so couldn't TFTP on boot. However, after a lot of trial and error I found that this sequence worked. Keep a ping command running the whole time to get an idea of the timing. Also keep another terminal up with tftp ready and set to PUT code.bin (download from linksys.com) at a moment's notice.

30/30/30 reset
unplug, wait 10 seconds
if I hit enter on the tftp put command as soon as I saw that ping and *continued to hold reset down* I would get continuous pings after about 10 seconds TFTP returned success and the pings would stop, I knew this was normal as after the trasfer the flash was written, so I continued to hold reset down until the pings started up again (I forget exactly how long, but close to a minute I think).
Once the pings started again I was able to cycle the power, do another 30/30/30 reset, power cycle and FINALLY get back into the linksys firmware.

I ended up having to do this twice because I discovered that apparently dd-wrt V23 SP2 standard doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, it's tedious and long, but it got my router back up and running after I was almost certain I had bricked it, so I hope that helps!

This is a good start. I could not un-brick my wrt-310 until I got a few ideas from this. Basically all I did was:

static ip 192.168.1.5
ping 192.168.1.1 -t
power on router
wait several seconds for 'host unreachable'
push and hold reset
unplug and plug the router in quickly
keep holding reset and execute the tftp once you see the ping results
Let go of reset once the pings stop responding

Two keys here. Reset has to be held (like you say)and you need to power cycle the router quickly so ping results never gets to the 'hardware error' response. It took me over an hour to finally get the firmware updated on this router. What a PIA.. Thanks for your post, it put me in the right direction and that it COULD be done.

Rob
tx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
YES!!!

great tip guys!

got my wrt310N back to life! this is a great tip

it did flash correctly while holding reset and the unplug-plug tip help give me the ping

this should be added to the wiki, about wrt310N revival technique

again THANKS SO MUCH guys
roadzy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Re: solution Reply with quote
Rob_G wrote:

static ip 192.168.1.5
ping 192.168.1.1 -t
power on router
wait several seconds for 'host unreachable'
push and hold reset
unplug and plug the router in quickly
keep holding reset and execute the tftp once you see the ping results
Let go of reset once the pings stop responding

Two keys here. Reset has to be held (like you say)and you need to power cycle the router quickly so ping results never gets to the 'hardware error' response. It took me over an hour to finally get the firmware updated on this router. What a PIA.. Thanks for your post, it put me in the right direction and that it COULD be done.

Rob

Agreed! Thanks for the help this here worked for me.
Valis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the stickies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:07    Post subject: Re: solution Reply with quote
hazybluedot wrote:

30/30/30 reset
unplug, wait 10 seconds

THIS METHOD IS WORK for my WRT310N. GREAT!!
phantommadman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 23:31    Post subject: Re: solution Reply with quote
hazybluedot wrote:

30/30/30 reset
unplug, wait 10 seconds

Thank you hazybluedot very much I followed your directions and it did take around 3 hours to get the sequence down to de-brick my WRT310N but it did work.Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: