Complete graphing solution for DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
masq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:19    Post subject: Complete graphing solution for DD-WRT Reply with quote
I have created a special monitoring solution for DD-WRT on http://www.odmon.com. It allows anyone with DD-WRT box to start monitoring their box in few simple clicks. The example output graphs can be found here http://www.odmon.com/ddwrtv24.php .
The fast track wizard will guide you through setting up dd-wrt and will create all graphs for you. If you want to have such graphs for your box go to http://monitor.odmon.com/fasttrack.php and start your monitoring in few minutes. All You need is Internet connection and public IP.

Being dd-wrt fan myself, I have created a nice template for DD-WRT v24 which allows graph SNR of selected wireless client (example attached) and number of wireless clients. There are also graphs of bandwidth on LAN and WAN interface, cpu, load average and memory usage. The pre v23 SP3 version does not allow graphing SNR and wireless clients, but all other will work fine. Unfortunately due to dd-wrt snmp poor implementation, the snr graph might not be “stable” – so when creating snr graph for client with index no 1, it will be changed to last associated client. The problem is that the index is not persistent, so number 1 is given to the last associated host (it is wl_snmpd.sh problem). Of course you can go to graph management and refresh the query, but it is still a bit problematic. I hope it will change soon.

What is odmon.com?
odmon is Cacti based monitoring solution that allows to create graphs like bandwidth or cpu. It is very useful for those who do not have their own monitoring server but want to know how their device is performing. odmon.com will query your router through internet and present graphs online. More on www.odmon.com

snr.png
 Description:
SNR example graph
 Filesize:  31.3 KB
 Viewed:  32121 Time(s)

snr.png

Last edited by masq on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:09; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
masq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot to add that this is SNMP based solution, so at least standard image is required.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thumb up !
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried this now, and I have open up the firewall on the router but still your test page reports that it cannot connect.
masq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Taken offline.
There seems to be no communication with your snmp server, probably due to misconfigured ddwrt or some filtering in the middle.
masq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problem solved!
As it turned out I forgot to add port forwarding for those who are using DMZ. So if you have DMZ enabled, please add port forwarding so: NAT/QOs -> Port Forwarding: port from 161 to 161, protocol udp, ip address: ip of WAN interface, any application name and check enable, then save and apply.

joksi, thanks a lot for your help.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used local LAN router IP in port forward, and yes, i forgot I have DMZ enabled.
masq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
In fact you can use wan or lan ip of the router. The most important is not to make packets being forward to dmz host. in case of dynamic ip on wan, LAN ip is even much better
zz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
odmon.com is Down for a couple of days. :(

Does anybody know if the service will be available?
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
masq wrote:
Taken offline.
There seems to be no communication with your snmp server, probably due to misconfigured ddwrt or some filtering in the middle.

Can't you just publish the cacti-templates for DD-WRT?
I have cacti running here...
Some extra graphs would be nice

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
masq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
zz wrote:
odmon.com is Down for a couple of days. :(

Does anybody know if the service will be available?

Sorry for that. The server placement has been changed few weeks earlier and there were some major technical problems in new server room. What is more, I was away on holiday so coordination of service restoration was even harder. I hope it will not happen again
ruddles
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry if I misunderstand, but cant this be a pc based solution with no internet access needed ?

Rudds
masq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
ruddles wrote:
Sorry if I misunderstand, but cant this be a pc based solution with no internet access needed ?
Rudds

There are many pc based solution available, but in fact you need a pc that is working all the time in order to have graphs for every day/time. It is not a problem if you are using the router just for yourself-there is no usage when the computer is off, but for network with many users you need to have server or pc that will be monitoring your router all the time.
Having the continues graphs in multiuser network may help administrator to see what is happening in the network.
odmon is rather unique solution that allows to have router monitoring without the need of having a server and maintaing monitoring software. odmon servers will pool the data via snmp and store it. You can log anytime to check what was the routers performance few hours/days before.
regards
ruddles
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the update, yes, I understand now, and thanks for a great product.
As an idea, why not just dump the data to an MMC card or similar, keeps it all in house.

I am doing dome research into PIC micro based interfaces via tty for the routers equipped with such (serial interfaces) and that again, could be used.. even to drive an lcd display to show details)

Keep up the great work !

Rudds
masq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
ruddles wrote:
Thanks for the update, yes, I understand now, and thanks for a great product.
As an idea, why not just dump the data to an MMC card or similar, keeps it all in house.

Thanks!
Well, it is an option to keep all the data on the box itself, but odmon as a solution is to be flexible and universal. We can monitor anything that runs snmp - windows, linux servers, cisco routers etc. I am trying to focus more on universal solution then on dd-wrt specific one.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: