Linksys WRT160N: Unable To Connect Onto N Network!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Kamika007z
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:34    Post subject: Linksys WRT160N: Unable To Connect Onto N Network! Reply with quote
Hi all,

First off, I want to say THANK YOU for such a great firmware. This thing rocks!!

Secondly, I've searched far and wide on these forums regarding unable to get my laptop, a ThinkPad X61 using the "Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN" card with N enabled (I checked within the driver), to work on the N network.

The firmware on the router, which is the standard v24 final release set to "mixed" mode, is detecting everything regarding the device just fine, however when I connect, I can only connect at a max of 54mbps and nothing higher.

I even forced the router to only N mode, which my laptop sees, but cannot connect to it.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Also, just as a note: I do not have the "nokaid" firmware on this, just the v24 final standard edition. (I don't understand what nokaid is - can someone elaborate?)

Thank you all!
Sponsor
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did the card work correctly on the stock firmware? If not, try installing a newer driver.

(Also, the nokaid version is exactly the same as the std, except it does not contain the Xbox kaid package)

Se7en is Darker...
Kamika007z
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmh9072,

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I never bothered trying to use it on the stock firmware.

I inherited the device from a client who did not need it anymore and the first thing I did was load this firmware. Also, I never had an N device so this is the first.

I was actually able to figure it out, I changed the encryption of WEP to WPA AES+TKIP and now I'm getting speeds of 130mbps.

Any other ideas on getting this higher? I see that it caps at 130.

Also, thanks for the explanation on what "nokaid" version does. Do you happen to know what "kaid" stands for? Just curious. :)

Thank you!
Kamika007z
berserko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kamika007z wrote:
I was actually able to figure it out, I changed the encryption of WEP to WPA AES+TKIP and now I'm getting speeds of 130mbps.

Thank you for this modification I have a very similar problem on my WRT600N v1.1

I tried WEP and got 54mbit I tried WPA2 TKIP and got 54mbit.

I too have the Intel 4965AGN card.

For reference my thread was here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34455&highlight=4965agn

This appears to be a much wider bug than just 1 router..
Kamika007z
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad it worked for you.

Though I am not 100% certain, I believe reading it on the intel documentation that AES or better is required to maintain a higher connection rate.

Also, what happens if you use just AES? You should be still set to 130mbps... can you confirm this?

Best,
-Kamika007z
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: