USB on BCM5354 routers - need testers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
repsons
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
patwood wrote:
I was able to install samba2 from optware onto a USB stick and share it to the network; next is to try the same with a small 2.5" IDE drive.

I have problem :
-with writing permissions in client side, when guest+writable (all shares except /tmp).
-create users/share permissions with logins.

Does it worx for u?
Could you post your samba config, if works?
Janis
Sponsor
patwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the ownership and permissions of the directories you shared. They need to either be owned and writable by the default user you set up for guest access (e.g., "nobody") or the permissions must be 777 (rwxrwxrwx) in order for someone other than the owner to write into them.

Pat
repsons
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
patwood wrote:
Check the ownership and permissions
Pat

it is 777 (rwxrwxrwx)

ext3:
/HOMEZ rwxrwxrwx, --> samba 'homez'

?
Janis
SergKz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:08    Post subject: Re: USB on BCM5354 routers - need testers Reply with quote
Eko wrote:
Looking for tester to test if my latest fix fixes the problem with USB on BCM5354 based routers (Asus wl500GP v2, wl520GU.... )

My WL-500GPv2 with DD-WRT v24 mega Release 07/27/08 (SVN revision: 10012:10013) detects USB stick normally, and I can even to mount it, but the router reboots when I try to call "df" command. Sometimes rebooting happens already on mount command. And after reboot the connected USB stick not detects until reflashing.
patwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
SergKz: try a build from 10137 or later. It has a fix that Eko made specifically for the 5354 USB controller. I am using dd-wrt.v24-101037_NEWD_mini_usb.bin (mislabeled -- should be ...10137_NEWD...) that he posted to this thread on the 14th.

Respons: can't help you. I've attached my smb.conf file; I've made /mnt/opt/public owned by nobody and 755 mode, but it also works when owned by root and 777 mode.

drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody root 4096 Aug 23 02:32 /mnt/opt/public

Pat

smb.conf.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smb.conf.txt
 Filesize:  705 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1336 Time(s)

NBlack1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump
strangefeatures
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:02    Post subject: ext2 vs ext3 Reply with quote
Just backing up en earlier comment - it seems that ext2 doesn't mount - failing with 'No such device' when you specify ext2 as the fs type and 'invalid argument' when you specify ext3.

But add a journal to the drive on a linux machine, and everything works fine.
bHOLDher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:11    Post subject: USB serial? Reply with quote
Would it be possible to add kmod-usb-serial to this build? (dd-wrt.v24-101037_NEWD_mini_usb.bin)

I am on a mission to get a Huawei E220 working on my WL-520gU.

ipkg install frequently gives issues, which I managed to work around by downloading the ipk to /tmp with wget, and then ipkg install-ing it from there.

then insmod usbserial was being difficult: "module not found", which I got around changing to "/jffs/lib/modules/2.4.36" (or was it 30?) and then running "insmod ./usbserial.o vendor=0x12d1 product
=0x1003",

BUT, now I still get: "insmod: unresolved symbol tty_ldisc_ref" Crying or Very sad

shinji257 had similar issues here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=159247

pretty please? Laughing
patwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
ext2 isn't built into this version. You have to upload an ext2.o and do "insmod ext3.o". I put up an ext2.o.gz for download earlier in this thread; works find for me.
rkozola
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
eko

just in case you have not seen this.

https://dev.openwrt.org/cgi-bin/trac.fcgi/changeset/12499
JJB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:57    Post subject: Success with WL-500gP v2 Reply with quote
After reading positive comments regarding dd-wrt compatibility with the WL-500gP v2, I ordered one. Well, as a dd-wrt and linux newbie I've been pulling my hair out for weeks (many a late, late night) attempting to get the USB storage to work on a new WL-500gP v2. Symptoms were similar to those mentioned at the start of this thread: router reboots, lock ups, hard drive "shut downs", failure to mount, failure upon parition checks, etc. I tried mini, standard, mega v24sp1 builds, even a custom OpenWRT build posted to their forums, but all to no avail.

I was ready to toss the router on a friend's desk when I came across this thread tonight. Instant success! Very Happy

Thanks so much Eko!

I suppose all the cicles did at least assist in bring me up to a basic dd-wrt operating level. Laughing
repsons
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:32    Post subject: Re: Success with WL-500gP v2 Reply with quote
What kind of usb-storage? flash? it's sometimes faulty:// and forces hung-up/reboots, when copying and/or reading big files over samba.

I would like to try hdd.

br.
Janis
JJB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 21:58    Post subject: storage type... Reply with quote
Throughout all testing I've used a 2.5" 120-GB HD in a cheap SmartDisk FireLite enclosure. I've partitioned it as:

Part1 = 1.1GB ext3 for Optware files
Part2 = 1.1GB swap partition
Part3 = ext3 partition (all remaining space) for
network share space via samba

I tested Part3 using hdparm - transfer speed was about 31 MB/s.

I lost the power adapter for the SmartDisk enclosure so I'm injecting power via a 7-port powered USB2.0 Belkin hub.

I'll be installing Samba tomorrow. I'll let you know if I have difficulting transferring large files.

The following is my usb.startup script:

#!/bin/sh
(

unset LD_PRELOAD

# assure correct paths when running OpenWRT programs like etfsck
# original statements from etc/profile:
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/jffs/sbin:/jffs/bin:/jffs/usr/sbin:/jffs/usr/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/jffs/lib:/jffs/usr/lib:/jffs/usr/local/lib

echo "Inserting modules for USB disk support..."
insmod /jffs/other/ext2.o
# all other modules loaded via this custom dd-wrt build for BCM5354 devices

echo "Waiting for modules to initialize disk access..."
sleep 5

echo "Checking optware partition..."
e2fsck -p /dev/discs/disc0/part1

echo "Mounting Optware partition..."
mount -t ext3 -o noatime /dev/discs/disc0/part1 /opt
mount --bind /opt /jffs/opt

echo "Activating swap..."
# this permits e2fsck check of large UsrFiles partition (part3)
opt/bin/busybox swapon /dev/discs/disc0/part2

echo "Checking user files partition..."
# takes a long time... approx 30 minutes
e2fsck -p /dev/discs/disc0/part3

echo "Mounting user files partition..."
mount -t ext3 -o noatime /dev/discs/disc0/part3 /mnt

#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib

echo "Masking etc/profile with /opt/etc/profile..."
if [ -e /opt/etc/profile ]; then
cp /opt/etc/profile /tmp
mount -o bind /tmp/profile /etc/profile
fi

echo "Starting Optware programs..."
unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
if [ -d /opt/etc/init.d ]; then
for f in /opt/etc/init.d/S* ; do
[ -x $f ] && $f start
done
fi

echo "DONE"

) > /tmp/optware.log 2>&1
JJB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:27    Post subject: Samba2 test results with HD storage Reply with quote
Installed Samba2 today, setup a network share, and I can now access the share without issue from Windows XP clients. I copied a 123-MB file to the share in 40 seconds (approx. 3-MB/S transfer speed).

Everything seems to be working beautifully! I'll be putting this WL-500gPv2 router to good use until a dd-wrt package that supports the WRT610N becomes available. The v2 devices were on sale for $70 from Newegg a couple weeks ago so I ordered one. I'm thrilled to have everything working now (a lot of what I wanted to do hinged on this USB storage support with the BCM5354).

Tomorrow I'll work on getting the thttp service running.
fatblueduck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:57    Post subject: the patched firmware works for me also Reply with quote
I have a usb printer and a 2.5 usb drive working on my 'premium version 2. Thanks for the patched firmware.

JJB - I purchased mine through the same newegg deal Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: