Where do we stand with Draft 802.11n?

NetTraptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:58    Post subject: Where do we stand with Draft 802.11n? Reply with quote
I have read questions and answers in this forum about 802.11n support on atheros and other cards But my intention is to put up a thread that is going to have all the info in one corner.

I went out a couple of months ago and bought a few of those MiniPCI and MiniPCI-e cards to test them out. As a matter of fact i am posting from a laptop containing one of those AR5418 similar to AR5416 only it is a MiniPCI-e.

I have tried ralink cards (RT2860 Chipset) only to successfully fully operate them in station and AP mode in windblows.
The linux driver supports only station mode and after asking for the AP version (An old version showed up a few months ago but was incomplete) i had no answer.

The same story is with Intel 4965agn. Ok for station mode but no adhoc in gn or an mode as well as no support for Master mode.

Atheros looks more promising as madwifi is making strives and Ubiquiti has a driver to operate the newest generation chipsets. My 2 Atheros (5416 & 5418, MiniPCI & MiniPCIe) do work in all modes managed, master, adhoc etc but i am afraid that i can not make them work in 802.11n mode and connect between them. I am missing something since i have seen people claiming that they have tested them successfully.

All this led me here. I thought lets see what brainslayer and the others are up to. I remember brainslayer kindly gave out last year a version with broadcom N support for a Netgear that i had with me for a few days.

So here it is. I would like to see everyone giving some input about their experiences. What does dd-wrt support in the 802.11n department? AP mode? ng and na? Is there a X86 firmware available for Atheros, broadcom, intel, ralink cards? How do you operate the drivers as far as 802.11n goes? Have you made any test with outdoor links? How about dual polarity Antennas? What sort of real world speeds have you seen (got something between 70-90Mbits at 20MHz and 40Mhz respectively on the windows machines wish i could get a setup working on a linux machine)?

I have a ton of questions on this subject. Very Happy Does 802.11n make sense to you? Give some input please! Smile
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
i dont know it exactly (i could tell u in a few days ) but in general ist should work with about 130mbits. no full N afaik. not now. we´re woking on this
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Come one give us some good news. I am waiting with a bunch of N cards and dual polar feeders to see if this protocol has any ooomf for outdoor use Very Happy
Our community is waiting anxiously for some first experimental results Cool
Shade.sh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea exactly, Draft-N would be very interesting. Im try to compile the modules for OpenWRT now, maybe i can test it there. DD-WRT would be the better way but there is no real support now... too bad...
-> Asus WL500GP + Serial Console
-> DD-WRT V23SP3 / V24SP1
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
its done when its done

we will have an internal testing anyway before posting stuff to the public

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

Navigation