There is something wrong...PS2 with dd-wrt

iammaxlee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 0:52    Post subject: There is something wrong...PS2 with dd-wrt Reply with quote
Hi,

i have used dd-wrt on my linksys for over two years different versions... very happy and satisfy... they work great...

now i bought 4 ubnt PS2 and installed dd-wrt on them (had to buy the license) anyways things looks good the PS2 are away beyond my expectation in term of range and ease of installation...

the first two PS2...
i use wds on dd-wrt but for some reasons just after few min. the wireless seems to die, i know it's dead because if i do site survey it doesn't show any network or just shows few in channel 1 and if i keep refreshing i find some more in the next channel like 2 or 3 and nothing else which is not true (there should be like 20 at least in different channels)... so if my network is other than 1 i have a hard time in connecting and i need to keep restarting to be connected... and if it's 1 then again just in few mins i loss connection i have to restart (i used the wds watch dog to be connected!!!)

anyways the signal is above 50% which is quite good compare with the old days with the linksys where it's barely above 20 and works great...

that was the first problem

the other two PS2
the problem is like the first one but there is some thing more which i don't really understand...
even when it's connected for few min. with quality above 50% i still loss pings and when i continuously ping i see the time changes dramatically from 2ms to sometime over 1000ms and i loss pings...
again i can't change channel other than 1 or things gets really ugly...

all my connections are based on WDS so, i tried WDS AP and i tried AP, the same, is there any thing i could do to tune the connection... i made the ACK 0 (auto) and i tried to fix it to exactly the distance... with the same result!!!
i tried to secure the connection with WPA and with nothing... again the same result,
i tried different channels but again as mentioned above things gets worse...

the first one the connection is about 1Km, and the second one it's about 5Km...

any hint or tips about the above is really appreciated...
don't want to revert to the original firmware before trying everything...

Cheers...
Sponsor
iammaxlee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
by the way this is the fireware i am using
Firmware: DD-WRT v24 (05/20/0Cool std
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
NO ack = 0 Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

WDS:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-HP-AG108#FAQ

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, tried 0 and tried to fix it to number with the same results...

the following might be the problem... (somebody might confirm)

both PS2 are set to AP and in the WDS page i added the mac address of the other one... also tried to use both with WDS AP and again with the mac address of each other... same results...

also tested one side with dd-wrt and the other with AirOS (didn't work, in fact ddwrt started to make trouble even while directly connected to it, i loss connection, very very strange, suddenly the cable is like unplugged...)

well now i have reverted to all of them to the original firmware... AirOS

things are working fine with one problem on one link... again very strange...

the first two PS2 are set to WDS AP and the mac address of each other... Perfectly working...

the second two PS2 are set to WDS AP and the mac address of each other... working from one side (could ping) the other side can't ping... change one of them to WDS Station... it works perfectly (not very happy because i can't use it as access point as well)...

anyways just to avoid any problem for now and make sure i am doing it correctly... i changed the first two PS2 (which seem to work fine) to WDS AP and WDS Station... just till i confirm the right procedure of doing it...

can somebody confirm the procedure...

what made me change them right away to dd-wrt firmware is that i am used to using it in the linksys routers and it's working great and i want to integrate with them... another thing is that the AirOS in WDS AP mode doesn't scan or show the signal strength and speed (it seems to show the speed but not as clear as it should be, or i am used to useing ddwrt)

anyways, anybody actually using ddwrt firmware on PS2... or just testing... first test seems to work but using it show things differently...
Please confirm...

that's all for now Smile
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
never do ACK = 0 Exclamation
and

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-HP-AG108#FAQ

- WDS setup (2 Atheros devices): Only set one ap to "wds ap" and the other to "wds station". Put on both the same SSID. Don´t set the wds mac table!

wds to broadcom devices will never work accurate!

&
RTFM/STFW
&

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply...

but i don't get it, "Don´t set the wds mac table!" i have other access points with the same ssid but i want to to connect with specific one...

Anyways that could have been the problem... all my test were done with both in AP mode... but how about when i tried to connect to AirOS firmware!!! it didn't work... didn't try clinet mode for the reason that i want to to connect to a specific access point... only if there was a locking feature like the AirOS where i could lock it to certain MAC address it would have been great...

Maybe i will give it another try... but not on those which are in production right now i will try it on new ones i am getting soon...

but i will need some support from the author to deactivate the currently used license to be able to use them on the new ones (i think it will be difficult that i am not making but might be doable...)

Regards,
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
iammaxlee wrote:
Thanks for your reply...

but i don't get it, "Don´t set the wds mac table!" i have other access points with the same ssid but i want to to connect with specific one...

means that you dont use the wds tab! the "other" devices are? broadcom? wds will never work reliable.
you will have to use repeater mode for this.
conect as clientbridge and setup a VAP-ap

&
RTFM/STFW
&

Navigation

Jump to: