How can I keep SSID broadcast off and retain my connections?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Author Message
glass.onion
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Feb 2023
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:07    Post subject: How can I keep SSID broadcast off and retain my connections? Reply with quote
Hi guys.

Are these settings available?

Whenever I disable SSID broadcasting, my WiFi devices fail to connect.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 6519
Location: UK, London, just across the river..

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:20    Post subject: Re: How can I keep SSID broadcast off and retain my connecti Reply with quote
glass.onion wrote:
Hi guys.

Are these settings available?

Whenever I disable SSID broadcasting, my WiFi devices fail to connect.


What is the reason you want to disable SSID broadcasting and have your devices wifi connected ?
Laughing

_________________
Atheros
TP-Link WR740Nv1 ---DD-WRT 57200 WAP
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 56941 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 56941 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
IONK
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 1009

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 13:23    Post subject: Re: How can I keep SSID broadcast off and retain my connecti Reply with quote
glass.onion wrote:
Hi guys.

Are these settings available?

Whenever I disable SSID broadcasting, my WiFi devices fail to connect.
Please share your device name, model, firmware version, configs, etc. For most cases, screenshots are better than words.
My DIR-868L wl1.1 is non-broadcast, and my phones and laptops can auto connect when in range.
IONK wrote:
Router/Version: D-Link DIR-868L Rev.A1
File/Kernel: dir868a-webflash.bin (r56237) / Linux 4.4.302-rt232-st51 #11543 SMP Mon May 6 04:17:30 +07 2024 armv7l
Previous/Reset: DD-WRT v3.0-r56182 std (05/02/24) / no
Mode/Status: Repeater Bridge on 5GHz AC/N-Mixed (wl0 is purposely turned off) + CTF & FA + SSH (public key) + DDNS (Dynu.com) + high-speed USB Storage (guide by egc) + WireGuard server + Cron / working
Issues/Errors: none

_________________
▫ RSS feed for DD-WRT releases (2024): https://rsseverything.com/feed/7d36ab68-7733-46c3-bd8a-9c54c5cef08c.xml
easyddup - A simple upgrade/downgrade utility by yoyoma2 --- as featured in 📌 Reference Links, stickies retired back to forum (Moderator's Pick 🌟)
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 1427

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
What the OP is probably missing is that once you turn it off you have to configure all clients to look for a "hidden network".

The difference is that when a SSID is broadcast the client uses that to know if it is in range, and when it does not obtain that signal, the logic states that it is not in range or on.

In a "hidden network" each client will broadcast a packet and search for the router at regular intervals and wait for the router to reply back.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 1009

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
What the OP is probably missing is that once you turn it off you have to configure all clients to look for a "hidden network".
there's indeed that option for Windows (I can't remember if I enabled that option), but I can't see that option on Android. I have no iOS device to check, but a quick search online shows that there's no such option on iOS device.
But I have to admit that I forgot to ask OP which client device(s) he had problem with.

_________________
▫ RSS feed for DD-WRT releases (2024): https://rsseverything.com/feed/7d36ab68-7733-46c3-bd8a-9c54c5cef08c.xml
easyddup - A simple upgrade/downgrade utility by yoyoma2 --- as featured in 📌 Reference Links, stickies retired back to forum (Moderator's Pick 🌟)
tli
DD-WRT User


Joined: 06 Mar 2019
Posts: 72

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:21    Post subject: Re: How can I keep SSID broadcast off and retain my connecti Reply with quote
glass.onion wrote:
Hi guys.

Are these settings available?

Whenever I disable SSID broadcasting, my WiFi devices fail to connect.


Can't believe that it's nearly 20 years and people are still talking about 'hiding SSID' 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/networking/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/
IONK
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 1009

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
tli wrote:
glass.onion wrote:
Hi guys.

Are these settings available?

Whenever I disable SSID broadcasting, my WiFi devices fail to connect.


Can't believe that it's nearly 20 years and people are still talking about 'hiding SSID' 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/networking/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/
thanks for reminding, but OP neither used the term "hiding SSID" nor stated the reason for doing so. If OP replies that he does so for security concern then we can sidestep his issue by dissuading him.


For me, the reason I don't enable SSID broadcast is that I usually bring my company laptop & phone back home, but I don't want to let my neighbors effortlessly see my office SSID because the office SSID contains my company name, and I also don't want to save my home SSID to company devices.

_________________
▫ RSS feed for DD-WRT releases (2024): https://rsseverything.com/feed/7d36ab68-7733-46c3-bd8a-9c54c5cef08c.xml
easyddup - A simple upgrade/downgrade utility by yoyoma2 --- as featured in 📌 Reference Links, stickies retired back to forum (Moderator's Pick 🌟)
glass.onion
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Feb 2023
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
tli wrote:
glass.onion wrote:
Hi guys.

Are these settings available?

Whenever I disable SSID broadcasting, my WiFi devices fail to connect.


Can't believe that it's nearly 20 years and people are still talking about 'hiding SSID' 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/networking/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/
thanks for reminding, but OP neither used the term "hiding SSID" nor stated the reason for doing so. If OP replies that he does so for security concern then we can sidestep his issue by dissuading him.


For me, the reason I don't enable SSID broadcast is that I usually bring my company laptop & phone back home, but I don't want to let my neighbors effortlessly see my office SSID because the office SSID contains my company name, and I also don't want to save my home SSID to company devices.



This is exactly why I want to not to broadcast my SSID - I would like to separate my home devices from my work devices and just wanting to know how to do this. I am new to DD WRT learning and would just appreciate some basic tips sometimes.

Thanks.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 19 Aug 2011
Posts: 1009

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
glass.onion wrote:
I am new to DD WRT learning and would just appreciate some basic tips sometimes.

Thanks.
Please share your device name, model, firmware version, configs, client devices, etc. For most cases, screenshots are better than words.
My DIR-868L wl1.1 is non-broadcast, and my phones and laptops can auto connect when in range.

_________________
▫ RSS feed for DD-WRT releases (2024): https://rsseverything.com/feed/7d36ab68-7733-46c3-bd8a-9c54c5cef08c.xml
easyddup - A simple upgrade/downgrade utility by yoyoma2 --- as featured in 📌 Reference Links, stickies retired back to forum (Moderator's Pick 🌟)
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1889
Location: Hung Hom, Hong Kong

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 13:30    Post subject: Re: How can I keep SSID broadcast off and retain my connecti Reply with quote
glass.onion wrote:
Are these settings available?
Whenever I disable SSID broadcasting, my WiFi devices fail to connect.

For an old Android 9 tablet, I need to specify explicitly that the SSID is hidden in order to connect. But for an iPad, I do not need to do so.

DD-WRT does allow you to make an SSID hidden (not broadcasted) via the WEBUI. You might wanna ignore the debate over hidden SSID. Just make sure that your wifi has a strong, long WPA2 passphrase. Wink

How To Turn Off SSID and Disable Broadcasting Your Network Name
https://blog.flashrouters.com/2022/03/15/how-to-turn-off-ssid-and-unbroadcast-your-network-name/

_________________
Router: Asus RT-N18U (rev. A1)

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
Website: https://sites.google.com/site/changmw
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
glass.onion
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 15 Feb 2023
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
IONK wrote:
glass.onion wrote:
I am new to DD WRT learning and would just appreciate some basic tips sometimes.

Thanks.
Please share your device name, model, firmware version, configs, client devices, etc. For most cases, screenshots are better than words.
My DIR-868L wl1.1 is non-broadcast, and my phones and laptops can auto connect when in range.


This seems like a way for someone to hack my home network.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 6519
Location: UK, London, just across the river..

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
glass.onion wrote:
IONK wrote:
glass.onion wrote:
I am new to DD WRT learning and would just appreciate some basic tips sometimes.

Thanks.
Please share your device name, model, firmware version, configs, client devices, etc. For most cases, screenshots are better than words.
My DIR-868L wl1.1 is non-broadcast, and my phones and laptops can auto connect when in range.


This seems like a way for someone to hack my home network.


if someone wants to hack your wifi...it will be done without any matter of hiding your ssid...
all the modern scanners will show the hidden networks...as, far hacking wifi networks, nowadays..
an 8 year old kids know how to...google it...execute it.. Razz so, make sure you use a complex-long wifi password WPA3 AES and some other tweaks, at least it will slowdown some of the try's....but if you are really a "target" wifi its not secure at all... Cool

_________________
Atheros
TP-Link WR740Nv1 ---DD-WRT 57200 WAP
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 56941 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 56941 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 57200 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
mwchang
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1889
Location: Hung Hom, Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
if someone wants to hack your wifi...it will be done without any matter of hiding your ssid.......but if you are really a "target" wifi its not secure at all... Cool

That's why AP Isolation and Net Isolation (Guest WiFi) of DD-WRT are important. You might also wanna disable uPnP, VPN and Telnet functions.

But Guest Wifi is not available in old routers.

_________________
Router: Asus RT-N18U (rev. A1)

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
Website: https://sites.google.com/site/changmw
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum