Can I speed up reconnection-after-sleep?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:28    Post subject: Can I speed up reconnection-after-sleep? Reply with quote
On all the builds of dd-wrt I've tried, on Windows 19 on Ethernet, reconnection is a bit slow after sleep. Admittedly, I've Wireguard too - in software - and the reconnection is not that slow; the reconnection takes some eight seconds after I'm past the password screen, but that is long enough to cause a few irritations.

The aforementioned password screen is what I'm inclined to call 'the login screen'; I've disabled that which Windows calls 'the lock screen'. Perhaps that disabling is the problem . .

I suppose also that I should investigate the various sleep modes offered by my BIOS.

Does anyone have any insights or tips, please?

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
From your description, it sounds like the WG client is managed on the client device itself. Why not have the router manage the WG client instead, thus always immediately available. Even if that's the only client device that needs WG, just use PBR (policy based routing) to route only that one device over the VPN.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad,

thanks for the reply.

In fact I have four devices that use the router, three of them (a Windows PC and two Linux laptops) mostly with a VPN and one of them without a VPN. I like to control the VPN with software, especially on the Linux machines. Given how much of the web is VPN-hostile, I do need easy control of the VPN. Also, I think that the router's processor is too weak not to inflict a significant speed hit if I use Wireguard.

Just now I have tried something on the Windows PC - that machine being the device that is slowest of the four to get fully online, and being the only one of the four to have a wired connection. What I have tried is tell Windows never to turn off the Ethernet adaptor (which it was doing in order to save power). That seemed to speed up the resumption a little bit.

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: