Asus WL-500gP Premium with dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ttsherpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:45    Post subject: Asus WL-500gP Premium with dd-wrt Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I recently bought this router and I have been practising with it. I have upgraded the Asus firmware by tftp with no problem. My questions are:

1) Which is the most complete/suitable dd-wrt .trx firmware for this unit (i mean, with USB, downloading , etc..)?
2) Could I use the same tftp method to go back to the original FW?

Any advice would be welcome,

TIA
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Basic wl500g Premium supprot was added, but as with any dd-wrt version there is no speciffic USB support. You can load USB modules yourself:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/USB
ttsherpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:29    Post subject: Success at first Reply with quote
I've been able to go back and forth the original firmware and dd-wrt, by using the TFTP method, and my experience is that it looks more reliable than in Buffalos (I had to brick/debrick with JTAG one WLA2-G54 flashing the CFE, and have pending to JTAG an old WBR-G54, but don't have the pinouts).

Now I'm going to try both firmwares, but I would like to use just dd-wrt like in the old Buffalos.

In your opinion, are the new Buffalos (WHR models) better than this ASUS?
One thing is that the WL-500gp does not seem to have JTAG, but hopefully it seems I will never need it.

Thanks
Eko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
- Wl premium has 4704 cpu (266 MHz) with 3 nonblocking ethernet interfaces, so expect higher thruput the in WHR.
Other to consider: Buffallo WZR series or Linksys WRTLS54GS

- I have pinout for WBR-G54, you just need to erase nvram and you'll get the pings back. (Jtag is 12 pin near mini pci card - there is ground wire soldered in - pin 1 is left top row - close to minipci)
You have to use: wrt54g -erase:nvram /fc:04 /noreset /nobreak

- The WL500g Premium in not fully tested, i only have 1 tester so far. Maybe some things have to be tweaked.
ttsherpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko wrote:
- Wl premium has 4704 cpu (266 MHz) with 3 nonblocking ethernet interfaces, so expect higher thruput the in WHR.
Other to consider: Buffallo WZR series or Linksys WRTLS54GS

I'm quite happy with it for now. USB is working. Thanks Eko

Quote:

- I have pinout for WBR-G54, you just need to erase nvram and you'll get the pings back. (Jtag is 12 pin near mini pci card - there is ground wire soldered in - pin 1 is left top row - close to minipci)

Thanks for the advice. I thought it was the 20 pin closer to the Flash. I'll solder the 12pin and try it.

Quote:

- The WL500g Premium in not fully tested, i only have 1 tester so far. Maybe some things have to be tweaked.

Now you have 2 testers, let me know what you would like to test and I'll try to help you with it.
Eko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well: 5 basic tests:
- WAN port, LAN ports (can you access the router, the internet)
- AP mode
- Client mode
- Client-bridge mode
- pppoe
Eko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko wrote:
- pin 1 is left top row - close to minipci)

Ups, my memory failed me. Pin 1 is labeled.

This is Buffalo WBR-G54 NOT Asus !!!

I used 10 pin header, so I didn't need to desolder the ground wire.
ttsherpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have ADSL over POTS (Annex A, RFC1483) my modem (wireless gateway) currently is a Linksys WAG54G, so I cannot test the WAN port properly. Anyway I'm thinking of changing to a new provider and get rid of the ADSL modem. What I can say is that I can't have the WAN connection disabled because then I lose the LAN completely, so I must have activated DHCP ISP option on the WAN, though I don't use it.

OTOH, is there a way to update dd-wrt from the GUI, because it does not admit the .trx file? Is it safe to use a generic bin instead?

Thanks for the tip & pic aboout my old WBR-G54, because I was going to solder the 20pin instead of the 12pin becuase of the proximity to the flash.

Regards,
Manuel.
Eko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aha, I'll try to fix this.
Yes, you can use any generic bin file for web upgrade.
Eko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ttsherpa, PM me an email addr., I'll send you one new build to test.
bunny.rabbit.3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have one of these and have a strong interest in seeing it moved to a "supported" status.

My internet connection is SBC DSL with the SBC supplied modem. Internally, I expect two seperate VLANs for the wireless and wired with no route between them (as soon as I figure out how), WEP on the VLAN (thanks, Nintendo). If I ever get a laptop, I will also be setting up VPN.

In addition, I will be using USB HDD's, so I can test the USB support front, as well.
Eko

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
bunny.rabbit.3 wrote:
I also have one of these and have a strong interest in seeing it moved to a "supported" status.

Always use latest build from "untested" -"multilanguage" folder. All patches are included. YOu can find in Wiki how to add usb support.
bunny.rabbit.3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I checked the Wiki and have installed USB support - with some gotchas. I posted a help request related to this.

I'll update that post after/as I get the drives working.
rkloost
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
@eko

Just bought an Asus WL-500g Premium.

Which firmware release should I use?

Regards,
Ruud
Eko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Latest sp2. Dated today.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: