System disconnect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for being patient, it's very much appreciated!

1 -= Adjusted the host name on the Router. I saw no change.. I was expecting to see the name appear in the network connections instead of 'network 5'.

2 -= Yes, I am on the top port of the modem.

3 -= Now that you mention it, while slow at 100mbps, the other router DID disconnect me quite often (before it outright broke). And when it wasn't me, it was the other devices plugged in. dd-WRT, when rebooted, actually stabilizes everything, (and works at 1gbps).

For the tests:

4 -= Disabling the other NICs didn't change anything. It had me wondering if it could have been the same subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 but with both offline the issue still occured.

5 -= During the ping session, the outgoing log was dropping tons of random IPs with the other system turned on (once windows had started. Didn't even need to log in!). The dropped IPs were from both systems seemingly at random too.
Note that rebooting the dd-wrt router solves all that while both systems are up.

6 -= Checking the status, I noticed that when both or one of the two system's names were present, the issue occurred. However when I reboot dd-WRT, the names become asterisks (*) and the connection is actually working. Not sure what all of that means yet.

EDIT: Things seem to work when neither system appear in the "DHCP Clients" Of Status / LAN, if that helps.
EDIT 2: I tested starting the other system first and then my own system. I suspected the problem would happen there too and I confirm that the moment a second system connects, the first system online is disconnected.

There's a couple of things I want to test now, too. I'll let you know if anything.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sp1derman wrote:
@kernel-panic69 and @Wildlion

I'm confused, maybe I don't understand DD-WRT Networking.

If Gateway and Local DNS should be 0.0.0.0, how does DHCP-Server know the values to deliver to DHCP-Clients?

OR is that an DD-WRT internal handling, if in Gateway mode and if the WAN Port is active? And local DNS is active by enable "Use dnsmasq for DNS"?

0.0.0.0 means that it is this host on the network in this case... it is an overloaded address
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Machforr wrote:

6 -= Checking the status, I noticed that when both or one of the two system's names were present, the issue occurred. However when I reboot dd-WRT, the names become asterisks (*) and the connection is actually working. Not sure what all of that means yet.

EDIT: Things seem to work when neither system appear in the "DHCP Clients" Of Status / LAN, if that helps.
EDIT 2: I tested starting the other system first and then my own system. I suspected the problem would happen there too and I confirm that the moment a second system connects, the first system online is disconnected.

There's a couple of things I want to test now, too. I'll let you know if anything.

The asterisks just mean that the router does not now the hostname of the system.

I am wondering if it has something to do with DNS... are you able to type in any ip addresses when the systems drop?
Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
Machforr wrote:

The asterisks just mean that the router does not now the hostname of the system.

I am wondering if it has something to do with DNS... are you able to type in any ip addresses when the systems drop?

I haven't tried any specific IP addresses other than the DD-WRT router's.
Whenever one of the systems take over the internet connection, the router is still accessible whereas websites are not until I reboot the router, usually from the 'services' tab and then clicking 'reboot router'. I don't physically reboot the system using the power button.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have static leases configured

Disallowed characters in lease names can cause strange problems

Something to check.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
The names of the systems is the default-assigned windows one... the only special character is the dash "-".

I tried adding an NIC to the system to remove the switch from the equation and dd-WRT saw my system as a NEW system! Prompting me to get a 24-hour trial.

If I make upgrades to the system, do I need to buy a new licence? Would the new (second) NIC be active only once activated? (The NIC was detected, but my system would not connect to the router through it!)

Trying my best to be proactive.
Sp1derman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
reading the last post I realize we forgot to talk about your Build-Version.
I myself use x64_public_vga.
Did you buy a licence and use a full version?
Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. Once the public VGA version worked fast and well (disregarding the current disconnections), I bought a full version to enable WiFi.

My build is fairly recent: DD-WRT v3.0-r55052 std (02/02/24)

I haven't tried upgrading from there yet as, right now, I suspect it would lose its license from upgrading again and I DO NOT want to do a full reinstall at the moment.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure how this has gone unnoticed, but in your screen shots, you don't have any DNS configured in the DHCP section of the Basic Setup tab. You need to have at least one there. This is what hands out the DNS servers to the clients via DHCP. Try putting 8.8.8.8 into Static DNS 1 and put 1.1.1.1 into Static DNS 2 and see if that fixes it.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
Sp1derman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
With WAN-Port doing DHCP he is using the ISP settings:

Gateway 198.91.168.97
IPv4 DNS 0 209.197.128.2
IPv4 DNS 1 209.197.128.5

QMachforr:
But its worth a test, lets put in other external DNS.
On WAN setting activate "Ignore WAN DNS", in DHCP setting put in 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9, 208.67.222.222
I prefer not to use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 as Google has enough Data from us.
Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Sp1derman

I didn't have high hopes, but gave it a shot and sadly the issue persists.

Trying to see if it has anything to do with private/public settings, but everything is set to private in windows.

I'm really at a loss here...
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw you were testing with a ping to 1.1.1.1 from a PC. Try either telnetting or ssh'ing into your router and run the ping from there. This will tell you if the router is losing connection or the LAN is using connection.

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
Machforr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
That does sound like a good suggestion.

However while I understand the principle, it's beyond my current level of network knowledge to accurately implement. (I know what you mean by telnetting, but I'll be damned if I can use it properly)

I'm not even sure if googling the procedure would have it work to give the intended results you're looking for to diagnose, too.

Think of me as between a noob and a novice in terms of network infrastructure understanding with some spikes of intermediate left and right. Wink
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's actually very easy to do. From your Windows cmd prompt simply type:
Code:

telnet YourRouterIP

Username is always root
Password is your Router's password.
Once logged into your router simply type:
Code:

ping 1.1.1.1

And let it run and see if it stops whenever you are experiencing Internet access issues.
Use CTRL+C to stop the ping process and exit will terminate the connection.

Forum member #248
Sp1derman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can try the ping from DD-WRT itself, but I don't think this will bring up any new Information.

The second PC powered on kicks out the first running PC from Internet connection.
The second PC then has Internet, the first one not. Rebooting the DD-WRT box while both PCs are running brings back Internet connection also for the first PC.

So it's my understanding that DD-WRT box always has Internet connection.

But for an unknown reason DD-WRT stops routing the packets from 1st PC when 2nd PC connects to the Network.
As it's not because of same IP or MAC I'm out of ideas what the reason could be.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: