Does anyone have OLSR mesh working

baxterdmutt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:09    Post subject: Does anyone have OLSR mesh working Reply with quote
Hi all,
I found the Wiki on how to set up OLSR but the only forum discussion I found gave the impression that the OP never got it to work. Before I spend money on routers, does anyone actually have OLSR mesh working successfully.

Thanks
Sponsor
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I couldn't get it to work, I might be the person you're referring to. That said, I'm no networking guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, that was you. Well that’s too bad. Can you tell me what routers you were using. I noticed on OpenWRT there are several posts and they seem to be having success there. I haven’t looked closely to see why however.
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
baxterdmutt wrote:
Yes, that was you. Well that’s too bad. Can you tell me what routers you were using. I noticed on OpenWRT there are several posts and they seem to be having success there. I haven’t looked closely to see why however.

I actually got it working with WEB encryption, but nothing beyond that.

I believe I tried it with two netgear nighthawks.. one R7000 one R7000p.

I eventually did it right and ran ethernet through the attic to various access points in the different rooms and use cisco 3702i's that I got off ebay for like $20 each (once cisco stops supporting them, they get dumped on the used market for pennies on the dollar). They are a bitch-and-a-half to set up. Cisco's logic is a clusterfuck.

I wish there were DD-WRT compatible PoE access points available. I don't think Mesh Networking is a proper solution, or the way to do things "right". It just allows for easy setup for users who don't wish to crawl through their attic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea, I’d do wires if I could. I need to cover the distance from my house to m barn. Too long for a cable. I did have a setup where the other building was on a different SSID but having to continuously change is what I was hoping to avoid. Did you ever discuss this over on openwrt. I see several discussion on how to set it all up but wasn’t convinced they had it working. I might ask them.
Fried Chicken
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
baxterdmutt wrote:
Yea, I’d do wires if I could. I need to cover the distance from my house to m barn. Too long for a cable. I did have a setup where the other building was on a different SSID but having to continuously change is what I was hoping to avoid. Did you ever discuss this over on openwrt. I see several discussion on how to set it all up but wasn’t convinced they had it working. I might ask them.

How far is the barn? I think ethernet might be your only viable option unless you're ok with completely potato internet.

I toyed with openwrt, tried installing it, saw that the drivers for my intel switch weren't installed by default, and noped out. DD-WRT just worked, I like the interface, I've been using it a long time.

I don't think you need a mesh network to achieve what you're looking for.. I think you can set up two dedicated wifi access points and have them form a bridge, then have another access point at the barn (Two at the barn, one acting as a bridge connceted to your home network). Either way, it will still yield shitty results.

Navigation

Jump to: