[SOLVED] DNSMasq/DDNS/NAT Loopback Setup

Tyoryn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:14    Post subject: [SOLVED] DNSMasq/DDNS/NAT Loopback Setup Reply with quote
So there's something specific I'm trying to do and I think certain settings with ddwrt can be an easy solution but I am not sure on the specifics.

Ultra short version of what I'm trying to do is to trick my modem/router into having NAT loopback since it doesn't have the option natively.

My network is Arris SBG8300 modem/router to wifi devices, 2 wired and my Netgear R6200v2 running v24-sp2 ddwrt (I know I need to update, just havn't needed to til now). The Netgear router is just acting as a switch wired to my server and a raspberryPi. Not having loopback I can't access my server locally by my DDNS name but can't use local IP outside the network and I have a few programs that need 1 address for both local and remote.

If possible I want to setup DNSMasq just as a DNS for that specific local IP and leave the DHCP and static IPs and everything with the Arris. I tried to configure DNSMasq on my server to do this and somehow completely killed my whole network so I undid it all.

I'd like to avoid changing the network structure to Arris in bridge mode and just be a modem, then have the Netgear-ddwrt handle everything else but if that's the quick easy fix then so be it.
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you port forwarding services to your server on the SBG8300? Did you try putting the server in the DMZ on the SBG8300?
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Tyoryn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do have all necessary ports forwarded on the Arris and all device IPs are static. Though with this awful Arris anytime I change any core settings like DHCP, Gateway, DNS it erases all the static IPs and there's no backup options so manually resetting all static IPs is the only way.

As for DMZ, honestly, no, because I don't really understand what a DMZ does. Always seen the settings but no clue what it does. I only learned what a DDNS and NAT loopback were a few months ago in trying this initial setup.

Quick googling of DMZ does sound promising if I'm understanding the super simplified explanation.
Tyoryn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I may have just found another option. I was looking at the DMZ settings on the Arris and found it can put individual Lan ports into bridge mode. If I bridge the port going to my ddwrt Netgear can it then handle the NAT loopback or any other ddwrt options?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your Arris shouldn't be erasing DHCP reservations unless you change the subnet (i.e. from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x, etc.). DMZ makes whatever host or IP address visible to the internet directly while protecting the rest of the private network.

https://www.fortinet.com/resources/cyberglossary/what-is-dmz

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Tyoryn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree, it shouldn't be but I noticed it at first when I would change the DHCP release time it erased all the static IPs I had.

It sounds to me like the DMZ just exposes the ports though, how would that be any different than just having the specific ports I need setup through port forwarding?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Enter the DDNS Name into Additional DNSMasq Settings so it will revolver to the Local Address locally.
Tyoryn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
SOLVED!

It ended up as simple as DNSMasq Enable, Local DNS Disable, and in additional options
Code:
address=/mydomain.ddns.com/<local IP of computer>

and now its like the modem/router has Loopback.

Is this the solution you meant by
Quote:
Enter the DDNS Name into Additional DNSMasq Settings so it will revolver to the Local Address locally.

?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: