Asus will not sync with exchange - SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 23:22    Post subject: Asus will not sync with exchange - SOLVED Reply with quote
SOLVED. (The problem owed to user error.)

My Asus RT-AC66U has been running wrt for years and had few problems. Just now, though, after I went away and turned the router off for a week, I have no Internet. My ISP says that the problem is that the router will not 'sync' with the exchange. An engineer is coming but can anyone advise (in advance)? I can pick up replies tomorrow - at my friend's house. (Also: there do seem to be no or few reported problems from other local users of the ISP.)

Thinks that I have tried to no avail include (1) powercycling the router and modem; (2) reflashing the firmware; (3) resetting the router to stock settings (via the wrt GUI - except that my attempt to do that seemed to fail); (4) looking at logs for clues.

The last endeavour - looking at logs - did reveal the following.

- My router seems to have the wrong time set. I saw this via SSH. I tried to set the correct time using the 'date' command, but that failed, by dint of a syntax error, even though I was going by what a Linux computer reported in its `man date`.
- A log reports a bad block of EEC RAM. I don't know whether that was there before.
- There was some other suggestive stuff in the logs but . . I forgot to bring that with me (to my friend's house, where I am using the Internet).

Also: my _local_ network continues to work.

I will now (at my friend's house) download the most recent firmware and flash that and see whether it works. (My current firmware: dd-wrt-53305-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx.)

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13

Last edited by WouldRatherBeFOSS on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:25; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turn off router and modem. Wait at least five minutes. Turn on modem. Wait another five minutes. Turn on router. Also, check your cables.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
WouldRatherBeFOSS
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dale: thanks. I did in fact try what you suggested - but perhaps after you suggested it (but before I read your reply). What I had no noticed until recently was that . . the modem was not fully plugged in. It was not on. Thus, its light was off. But, because I have all the lights disabled on my _router_, I failed to notice that lack of light.

So (if you know the term): PEBKAC. Apologies!

Operating systems on devices that I use with that router: GNU-Linux; Windows 10; Android 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: