[SOLVED] DHCP dead with X10/R9000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Puppetnation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:10    Post subject: [SOLVED] DHCP dead with X10/R9000 Reply with quote
Hi folks,
I have a strange issue with my Netgear R9000.
Soon after having flashed the r53939 build (11-09-2023) I noticed random fails in DHCP assigning addresses to my home devices.
Devices try to get a valid IP but after a minute they get a 169.x.x.x address, actually they cannt communicate with a valid DHCP.
This behaviour is about BOTH wired and wireless devices.
If my devices are configured manually (IP, subnet, gw, dns) they do the job flawlessly.

Useless to say I haven't touched any of the DHCP paramenters, it was configured as usual DHCP server for all my devices.

I tried to get back to default configuration then change it manually step by step, the issue is alway present.
Reflashed with older builds has no benefit.

I also tested the PSU for Volts and Amperes, they are fine.... very frustrating.

I suspect some PCB is kinda fried or any hardware-related problem... I don't know sincerely.
DHCP server seems to be the ONLY problem, all the rest is working fine.

Any idea?
Many thanks for reading
GM

11-09-2023-r53939

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont have a such a complains on all devices/all type vendors...on R9000 but..
-Windows based devices..all have the same issue...ever since..either Windows drivers are bad or some OS settings...if i disable outbound firewall on Win problems is gone...than those reconnect fine, even if i re-enable the outbound firewall...yes it is frustrating
-all devices i know have a static IP's and problems are solved, but sometimes not sure why DHCP WIN problems starts again...
-there was an opinion that...Windows machines don't like DNS as router addresses but im not ready to trade it off Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55179 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55179 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55179 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55109 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it was working fine on dd-wrt prior to the flash, then revert to that prior build then do a factory reset, as it sounds like you got something stuck in your NVRAM
Puppetnation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
-Windows based devices..all have the same issue...ever since..either Windows drivers are bad or some OS settings...if i disable outbound firewall on Win problems is gone...than those reconnect fine, even if i re-enable the outbound firewall...yes it is frustrating
-all devices i know have a static IP's and problems are solved, but sometimes not sure why DHCP WIN problems starts again...
-there was an opinion that...Windows machines don't like DNS as router addresses but im not ready to trade it off Cool

The issue appears on EVERY DEVICE, also Android phone and tablet.
Windows is not the guilty

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
If it was working fine on dd-wrt prior to the flash, then revert to that prior build then do a factory reset, as it sounds like you got something stuck in your NVRAM

Already done a lot of times, no success.
Maybe I need to erase something from telnet or other "service" entrance and reflash again

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Windows networking troubleshooter or reset networking; forget network on Android, iOS.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
frazelle09
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:

Good morning from sunny Mexico! - i'm new here and am looking to finally move to dd-WRT and see that you are apparently using the Netgear X10, which we're considering buying with the latest ...539 build. We are using linux (PCLinuxOS) and just wondered how your Netgear and dd-WRT experience has been.

Have a beautiful day! Smile

Bahá'u'lláh

La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos.
Puppetnation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
frazelle09 wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

Good morning from sunny Mexico! - i'm new here and am looking to finally move to dd-WRT and see that you are apparently using the Netgear X10, which we're considering buying with the latest ...539 build. We are using linux (PCLinuxOS) and just wondered how your Netgear and dd-WRT experience has been.

Have a beautiful day! Smile

It's a wonderful device, I also have a 24+4 network switch attached to R9000 via 10G fiber port to expand port array and it works great.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Done NVRAM ERASE from telnet and DHCP is resurrected with default settings, so it's not a hardware fault.
Restored my latest settings and the issue appeared again. Checked it step-by-step. It was wifi 5ghz channel overlapping disabled which caused the wifi not broadcastable and the DHCP server acting crazy.
Now it's ok.
Thanks folks.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
When it comes to flashing Netgear R9000 with DDWRT f/ware, my advice is to be extra patient especially after each new f/ware flashing.

This is due to the R9000 having two independent internal switches. To avoid the confusion, I always wait till all corresponding lights are lit up on the panel after a f/ware update. I then check its GUI to see if everything is there. If not, I would simply force ANOTHER reboot using Administration|Management|Reboot Router|.

In all cases, all the functions appear and work normally after the second firmware reboot (NOT using power off/on button). Except where a particular f/ware version has some issues with it.

May not be applicable in all cases. Just my own experience. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: