setting up Repeater with D Lin 615 d2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:09    Post subject: setting up Repeater with D Lin 615 d2 Reply with quote
D Link 615 D2 v3.0 r44715
RALink SOC
repeater required for existing network b/g/n 192.168.1.254 - range 192.168.1.64- 253

reset router , changed name and password
setup – wireless matched ssid to existing b/g/n network - save
matched password to above -save
setup - security -disable firewall – save
setup -basic – wan - DHCP
router - IP192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
dns 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server enabled 192.168.1.200/30 - save
setup – advanced - gateway – save
apply
router receiver wan ip 192.168.1.217
connect device to repeated wifi and receive ip in 192.168.1.2xx range
run speed test ok 26Mbps down (30Mbps normal ) and 7 up ( 9 normal)
add vap casamikejak with security – connects but no ip

later confirmed that wan is via lan to lan cable and without cable repeater router does not have connection- need to reprogram so that wan is via wireless and not wired
Sponsor
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:58    Post subject: update to original post Reply with quote
Having re-accessed router and changed setup - advanced - gateway to router, I now get connected to host router via repeated wifi SSID and can run internet speed test with acceptable throughtput. The repeater GUI shows wireless connection of laptop on ra0. adding a Virtual AP with a different SSID but same password does not give a successful internet connect.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, foremost, and *MOST* importantly, please consider upgrading to the current release:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/06-02-2023-r52869/dlink-dir615d/

Second, doesn't this device have a repeater mode by default? I have an old Buffalo WHR-600D that I could try and step through this on, but if memory serves me correctly, it's dual-band, whereas the DIR-615 D series is single-band. If you have a dhcp server running on your repeater, it should be in a separate subnet, shouldn't it?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

https://lifehacker.com/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range-boosting-wi-fi-repeat-5563196

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
many thanks for reply
Yes it's single band and it does have repeater only mode so I will try that change together with separate subnet tomorrow although I do believe that in my attempts over the last two weeks I have followed the procedure in the first link you post without success but happy to go again.

I'll keep the firmware change on hold as I don't want to risk bricking the box unless i have no alternative
thanks
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Followed instructions in https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

VAP does receive IP within subnet 192.168.2.xxx range but no internet access

Repeated host wifi does not receive IP.

Wifi scan confirms repeater providing repeated Host SSID and VAP SSID ( identified by mac assigned to repeater)

unable to connect to repeater GUI by any means including changing my PC ethernet setting from Auto Obtain IP etc to use of Use The Following 192.168.2.2 /255.255.255.0.

Connect to VAP SSID without internet and scan (using android app called FING) for devices reports my smartphone at IP 192.168.2.102 and repeater router at 192.168.2.1 but unable to access router on 192.168.2.1

Repeated setup process to confirm these results – negative result.

Now to upgrade firmware - do I need to reload factory original firmware or can I go straight to update firmware with -dd-wrt.bin file that I have downloaded ?
thanks for interest
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
update to last post - re-read instuctions of updateing firmware on a dd-wrt based router and went ahead with upgrade - now have build r52869 06/02/23 so will retry configuring as repeater
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you didn't select the channel that the host AP is using, you may try setting the channel used on the repeater to match that of the host AP. If your host AP wireless mode is "Mixed", you may need to change that on both ends to something that is available on both ends. This may be a platform-specific anomaly. I looked through this entire sub-forum area regarding repeater mode(s), and you may have to use Repeater Bridge instead - which may require setting the wifi channel.

----------------------
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I checked Host AP which is using Chan 6 b/g/n and WIFI app scan of SSIDs shows me repeater is also Ch 6 and mixed mode which I believe is b/g/n.
I have tried the repeater config steps and get the same results as with previous firmware.
I'll go down the repeater bridge route as I am not worried about all devices having access to each other.
thanks again
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps there's still a bug as discussed in this post:

Wireless settings for Repeater / Repeater Bridge on Ralink

That's why I was asking about specific settings. See if any of that helps. Of course, may need details of upstream AP/router to see if there is anything at play there.

Out of curiosity, I checked the bug tracker and found these:

#3809 reopened Ralink Auto WiFi channel in Repeater mode doesn't work. AP & Clients not / incorrectly listed

#5483 new Linksys E1700 (MT7620A) - repeater mode (LAN ports not working)

----------------------
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again Kernel-panic69
So I started on this marathon of reprogramming to achieve a solution for my frequent visits to spain.

Broadband is not available to me there and having piggy-backed on my neighbours wifi (with his agreement) I thought it about time that I got a solution for myself. I found a reasonably priced 4g sim card offer in Spain and I have a Huawei 5573s-320 lying around which would provide a partial solution (i.e wifi connect of upto 10 devices - and my Samsung phone does connect to Huawei) but that would not allow me to access all of the streaming services that I would like from the UK due to out of country restrictions.

I seemed possible !8 to me to obtain a VPN link back to the UK and because I have dd-wrt routers in my house running parts of my network I thought I would run a "private" VPN client from a dd-wrt router in Spain through my 4g MiFi device back to my home VPN server in UK - job done - I thought. But first I needed the dd-wrt DLink 615 to wirelessly connect to the Huawei 5573s-320 - that's where I started and have not managed to get that wirelesss link going.

The Huawei is running with a UK 4G data sim in it, I have the information on IP, WIFI, passcodes etc but have not been able to get the DLink615 to Repeat or Repeater Bridge from the Huawei5573.

I found one dd-wrt post where the user claimed success but having followed his instructions I did not get access through.

So I was not being successfull down that path , I decided to try and set up the DLink for spain on my home network as a repeater - I now think that I complicated life even more. So back to a more basic configuration.

Apologies if I have you think I have wasted your time _ I was thinking that if I get a repeater working on my home network it would only need a few changes - IP addresses, WIFI codes for it to work with the Huawei - perhaps I expect too much ?
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wifi scan of Huawei and Dlink jpeg attached - so the router is picking up wifi and producing a VAP but I cannot get IP from CasaMikeJak
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the VAP bridged to br0 (see "Bridging" on the Setup -> Networking tab)? Wondering if whether or not there are some extra steps needed on this particular configuration for repeater (or repeater bridge). By default, dnsmasq listens on br0 to hand out IP addresses to configured DHCP range. The repeater 'client' on the main wireless interface - that interface should be the "WAN", as best I can surmise or expect. Screenshots of applicable pages in DD-WRT webUI would help get a visual on my end. Considering your end goal, does the DIR-615 D* even support OpenVPN or Wireguard? If anything, it may support PPTP tunneling. The presence or lack of VPN functionality in DD-WRT on the DIR-615 is probably the overall factor as to whether or not this is an exercise in futility aside from getting repeater modes to work. I was trying to find a rev D* model on eBay and elsewhere specifically for troubleshooting this myself, but alas, no such luck.

----------------------
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
A brief reply whilst I start on exploring the points you mention - yes the D615 has a VPN tab under Services where a Server or Client maybe defined.
I'll add screenshots to my next reply as I progress
thank you
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another release posted ~ hour ago:

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/06-06-2023-r52894/dlink-dir615d/

This one will probably include OpenSSL updates, might be a good idea to update as soon as possible. Will await further response.

----------------------
Mikesin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sucess on first steps.

Huawei with weak connection to 4g network ( due to my home location in UK)

DLink615 connected to Huawei as repeater bridge - Huawei IP 192.168.1.1 with DHCP range 192,168.1.100.
Samsung phone connected on 192.168.1.101 (wifi) and laptop connected as 192.168.1.103 (wifi) with mac address 0f 00:26:5a:2e:9a:4b which I believe is repeated wifi signal as Dlink 615 interface wl0 is 00:26:5a:2e:91:4a

tested by accessing my Plex server from laptop through Huawei wifi and monitored D link Status - bandwidth wl0 - screen shot (attached) shows inital idle activity then video being streamed from Plex server which was played on my laptop
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: