No internet after flashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
crespoh69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 17:54    Post subject: No internet after flashing Reply with quote
Hey guys, I was able to flash my R7800 using the FW found on the 2nd post on this guide: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614

My issue though is that I can't seem to get internet unless I follow specific steps but then cannot route traffic to the rest of my devices. I had flashed this FW years ago and have also tried restoring an old settings backup I had but same thing. Here's my exact scenario:

I go ahead and flash DDWRT, get access to the portal and change password. I use putty to do NVRAM reset and reboot. All's good so far, I still have access to the portal and can set my username and password. I notice that I don't have internet regardless of the port I'm on or what port I move my modem to on my netgear, this is before and/or after the NVRAM reset via putty so it's not a matter of old settings taking hold.

I then navigate to Networking and see that there's a WAN port assignment dropdown option with Eth0, Eth1, etc. I choose Eth1 and apply the settings. The router applies it's settings and when I check I get a public IP address assigned to my PC of 172.x.x.x. At this point, if I connect my PC or modem to any port except for the yellow WAN port on the netgear I have internet. Once I connect to the WAN port I no longer have access to the internet but do have access to the GUI. When I check my wifi settings, I can setup a wireless network but unfortunately can't seem to get an internet connection on it but an IP is handed out it looks like, although a bit high up, like 192.168.1.140, this is before I've made changes so I would think it'd be 192.168.1.2,3,4 etc.

At first I thought my WAN port was just dead but since I am able to access the GUI portal through it I don't believe that to be the case.

What am I doing wrong and what would I need to change in order to get access to the internet for the rest of my devices?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Download the dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin file from the current release and upgrade via webUI without selecting reset after flashing. When router reboots, log in to webUI and go to Administration -> Factory Defaults tab and reset from there or via ~10 second depress of hardware reset button on back of router and configure from scratch, don't use an old backup since there have been many changes since the file attached in that thread.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/05-18-2023-r52596/netgear-r7800/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
crespoh69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Download the dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin file from the current release and upgrade via webUI without selecting reset after flashing. When router reboots, log in to webUI and go to Administration -> Factory Defaults tab and reset from there or via ~10 second depress of hardware reset button on back of router and configure from scratch, don't use an old backup since there have been many changes since the file attached in that thread.

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2023/05-18-2023-r52596/netgear-r7800/

So, the reason I went with that older Kong FW is that I know it works. It's what I've used in the past, hence the whole using an old backup of my previous settings. I did try the latest build last night, as well as a few weeks ago but whenever I do that, I get stuck in a boot loop, including last night. I'm not sure what causes it but I can't seem to move beyond that old Kong FW. I am able to move back and forth from Kong to factory Netgear though and Internet works as expected there, just not on ddwrt.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can flash the old Kong file but cannot flash the new web-update.bin (52596) due to bootloop, than your router has a bad blocks problem... https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330305
The Kong firmware was very small...you can try flashing via TFTP but not much point if router goes to bootloop...you can try even newer factory build if so..but still the same if bad blocks are involved... Rolling Eyes

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
what dd-wrt firmware are you flashing exactly? Wrong firmware if its right from the router data base.

Look on the forums for new build. that will be the one that will work for you.

And do not use any old config files. get rid of them and setup the router again from scratch.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
D.F.Cruizer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 19:46    Post subject: Re: No internet after flashing Reply with quote
crespoh69 wrote:

What am I doing wrong and what would I need to change in order to get access to the internet for the rest of my devices?

(I could have missed it somehow in the thread, but just to cover the bases)

1. My suggestion is to first restore R7800 back to Netgear stock f/ware. And check to see if it works normally using stock firmware.

2. Next, flash it with later version of, say, 04-14-2023-r52330 by BrainSlayer using the image of factory-to-ddwrt.img only. Again, check if it works as expected without restoring your backup from Kong's version.

3. It it does, you will have to manually restore settings from your previous backup (alluded to by previous poster).

My educated guess is that there have been many DD-WRT versions released since Kong's days. And cumulative changes have since rendered a direct flashing from Kong's to latest version not directly feasible, without some unintended crippled effects.

Note: For subsequent flashing, following the successful conversion at step 2 above, use dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin only.

Good luck.
crespoh69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
what dd-wrt firmware are you flashing exactly? Wrong firmware if its right from the router data base.

Look on the forums for new build. that will be the one that will work for you.

And do not use any old config files. get rid of them and setup the router again from scratch.

I'm using the firmware that's listed in the flashing guide found here in post #2, https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614

This is the guide I used years ago and is the only FW that will get me to DDWRT, any other one will just bootloop, including the most recent ones. I've tried both restoring my old settings from before moving back to factory as well as just fresh kong settings, both leave me at the same results. If I can get internet with just Kongs settings I can rebuild my settings from there manually but I can't even get internet to work with Kong's default settings.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Attach serial (USB-UART-TTL 3.3v level-shifting adapter), connect to serial with PuTTY, provide logs. That's the only way we'll know what is happening.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
crespoh69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Attach serial (USB-UART-TTL 3.3v level-shifting adapter), connect to serial with PuTTY, provide logs. That's the only way we'll know what is happening.

Thanks everyone that tried to help, since this is an older router, I am planning to upgrade to a Ubiquiti SE in the next two months. I've gone ahead and reverted back to my stock FW for now until then since I can't have too much downtime on this one.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then contribute the device to the cause of fixing the problem?
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
crespoh69
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Then contribute the device to the cause of fixing the problem?

Thanks for following up Kernel, I'll definitely play around with it a bit more once I have the Ubiquiti system in place. Since it's my only router and I need a stable setup for our WFH environment I can't afford to risk losing access for an extended period, so far I've been able to revert back without issues but there's always the chance I might not be able to.
D.F.Cruizer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I sympathize with you that it's really pressing and tricky trying to sort out router issues when you need a stable working connection.

That said, since your R7800 works in its stock firmware as you indicated, plus the fact that no other DD-WRT user has raised similar issues with their R7800s, it stands to reason that nothing wrong with your R7800.

What i notice is recent versions of DD-WRT have been vastly improved with functionalities by BS. The resulting is patience during the actual upgrading process is needed when upgrading software.

Cheers
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Couldn't be a misconfiguration issue, whatsoever. "If you don't need to setup custom VLANs, then don't enable the Switch Config tab" on newer releases, for one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DDWRT/comments/13noqr3/will_not_see_my_internet_connection_but_stock/

Seems like you're doing things that you shouldn't to me.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you have your PC connected to the WAN/internet port, what do you have connected to your modem?
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: